The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Speedbird2008
There are other degrees than Medicine and Law - honest! :rolleyes:

You have no idea my friend, try Google. :p:

I hear Golf Course Management Bsc (Hons) is very lucretive these days.
Reply 21
I would think they would really really like you to have chemistry. Medical school is HUGELY competitive and chemistry is a truly beastly hard subject so its quite a good 'separation' factor. Those who do well have kind of proved their worth so this is why I think they value it so highly. I would say though, research into individual unis and see what they say. Maybe as long as you have 3 decent (A/B) grade A-levels in academic subjects they wont mind too much if you have a good chemistry AS.
Reply 22
Papado
haha thanks. and ya you'd think, but no. in fact i would actually enjoy being in uni for that long. thats the thing that most people think of when they think of medicine, it is the length of time spent at uni. well its not like those 6 years r just gonna b spent in some library somewhere, wasted. im still gonna go out and have fun at uni, like everybody else. not to mention im probably going to make my best friends there considering the amount of time we (me and the other med students) will have spent together by the time we get out of uni. also, as crazy as it might sound to some (Renal lol) i actually really find medicine and biology interesting. I know most if not all med students say that but i promise u im legit. really. and u no wat they say... time flies by when ur havin fun. plus think of it this way. would u rather have to spend four years in a normal uni course, working a year to make 100, 000 or more, or would you rather spend 6-8 years in a uni, get a loan from a bank, start your own buisness, move to LA, and start ur own cosmetic surgery office, where you can make anywhere from $5,000 to over $25,000 a surgery? (which is my plan). it just makes sense.

P.S. anybody who says they didnt get into medicine for the money is full of crap so dont go replyin to this negatively because u no its true.

i dont think you would really like to be a doc tbh.
and er...... yeah.
before you can be a fully practicising a surgeon you have about 10 years after you graduate.
dude. you suck. life is not la di da as you might expect.

and i am NOT in it for the money. if i was id be doing econ......... or smth else more paying like perhaps law.
so stfu. not everyone is driven by captialism. . .

since money seems to be all you want out of life. go do law .. more money there.....
and bye. see you never on the medicine forum. :hello:
You could just apply to UEA, Newcastle, Durham and PMS.
Papado
P.S. anybody who says they didnt get into medicine for the money is full of crap so dont go replyin to this negatively because u no its true.

:hahaha:
Reply 25
The other thing to consider is that some medical schools require you to have sat all your relevant A-levels in one sitting, or over a two year period. This means that for them, taking Chemistry in your gap year may not be acceptable. Again, something you need to check out.

Also, please go and do some work experience and find out what medicine is really all about.
Democracy
Rest assured I will probably rape it when I get back

My hand's raised...
Enor
I would think they would really really like you to have chemistry. Medical school is HUGELY competitive and chemistry is a truly beastly hard subject so its quite a good 'separation' factor. Those who do well have kind of proved their worth so this is why I think they value it so highly. I would say though, research into individual unis and see what they say. Maybe as long as you have 3 decent (A/B) grade A-levels in academic subjects they wont mind too much if you have a good chemistry AS.

Go away.
Papado
I am aware of that, and that is pretty much my question. I guess I should have phrased it differently so everybody answered that question instead of the one I asked. If any of you know anything about this please let me know because this is my main concern. Universities have told me when I asked them about this that they will not accept anyone that didn't finish they're A-levels in two years, so I don't think they understood the question (I did it via e-mail).

Also, for anyone who has called me an idiot, that money thing is a joke, because everybody says that...
Apparently nobody got it but ok. I know that everybody isn't in it for the money. What I didn't know is that you needed that much practice being a surgeon before you can start your own buisness. I'll look into it thanks. Also, just ignore my previous posts on this thread lol.

They probably understood your question perfectly, so I'd suggest you start looking at foundation courses given that they want your A levels to have been completed within a two year period
Reply 29
Papado
But they will have. This is a seperate A-level started in the second year, so it doesn't really count as taking more than 2 years to finish it, if u c wat i mean. It will be as if i'm just taking a part time course during my gap year. At least thats how i hope they c it and thats wat im asking, if anyone knows if thats how they'll c it or not. They just told me that i cant take longer than 2 years to finish my A-levels, so i'm pretty sure they didn't understand. Most universities only require AS Chem if u've done A2 Bio. The only ones I know of which definetly require A2 Chem r UCL and Cambridge. I plan to apply to Cambridge, that's y i wanna no for sure.

So you will complete the whole Chemistry A-Level this year (year 13)? or AS this year, and the A2 during your gap year? If its the latter, then that doesnt count as doing them all within 2 years because..... well it would have taken 3 years. The whole "two year" thing doesnt mean you have two years to complete each one, it means you have to do them all within the same two year period (i.e. Years 12 and 13).

What are your GCSEs like if you plan on applying to Cambridge and the "top" universities?
Reply 30
Papado
DON'T WORRY I'M NOT COMPLETELY CLUELESS. I SHADOWED A DOCTOR FOR 3 MONTHS, A PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGIST, SO I KNOW WHAT MEDICINE IS LIKE BUT I APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERN.

You shadowed a paediatric oncologist for 3 months? Most people would struggle to get 3 days with a single doctor let alone 3 months. How on earth did you acheive 3 months?
Reply 31
Lol this dude is going ape. No need with the caps etc. How are you gonna handle a stressful medical experience if this thread is stressing you out so much. Maybe take a gap year to see if it's really something you want. + Your question has been answered. Check medschoollonline to differentiate your uni options.
Reply 32
Papado
I am aware of that, and that is pretty much my question. I guess I should have phrased it differently so everybody answered that question instead of the one I asked. If any of you know anything about this please let me know because this is my main concern. Universities have told me when I asked them about this that they will not accept anyone that didn't finish they're A-levels in two years, so I don't think they understood the question (I did it via e-mail).

Also, for anyone who has called me an idiot, that money thing is a joke, because everybody says that...
Apparently nobody got it but ok. I know that everybody isn't in it for the money. What I didn't know is that you needed that much practice being a surgeon before you can start your own buisness. I'll look into it thanks. Also, just ignore my previous posts on this thread lol.

This is why everyone who understands the situation opposes the spread or inception of Polyclinics; the NHS was founded ont he basis of free healthcare at the point of need with the doctor recieving no additional renumeration - that treatment is patient centred and in patients interests (for example your doctor dosn't get paid to do a tx you don't need). Yes, once you reach the dizzying heights of consultant, you can run private practices, but many consults still spend the majority of their time in NHS practice. There would be no Harley Street without the NHS, every private doctor is NHS trained.
Papado
you could have just checked my account but i guess ill put it up here newayz.

4 A*s, 2 As, 5 Bs at GCSE (2 of the Bs being in religious studies and P.E, completely stupid and necessary subjects).

my AS grades sucked cuz i messed about last year, which is y im takin a gap year. even though i am told by my teachers that im probably getting As for A2 cuz i finally started studying, even though they cant put my predicted grades higher until my retakes come back and they see if they have improved or not. and about wat u said, the thing is that im confused becuz when i called UCL and talked to the administrative office for medicine, they told me that i could do a 6 month course during a gap year, if i were completely set on going there. but then again, other universities tell me the same thing u did. so im guessing its ok if u ask the university and explain the situation, but again its better to b safe than sorry.

It is OK if the university says it is. Fundamentally you will not be completing your A Levels within a two year period, so you need to accept that a lot of universities will probably say no.
Reply 34
Renal
Maybe if you read the thread you would have.

maybe i would have, but then again i did say "personally" and "I've" maybe that would have been a useful clue no? :shifty:
Reply 35
Papado
He was a friend of my mother's so it was more of a personal favour to my mother than to me. having connections is goood :yep:

I guess I'm just surprised that having spent 3 months in a hospital shadowing a doctor you never realised you don't simply walk out of medical school as a fully qualified surgeon to go and play Grey's Anatomy in America.
Reply 36
Papado
He was a friend of my mother's so it was more of a personal favour to my mother than to me. having connections is goood :yep:

And how much did your "connection" teach you about being a junior doctor in a general ward? Paed onc is probably fascinating, yes, but you're very unlikely to go back to that for the best part of a decade once you're in med school.
Reply 37
Saro_656
maybe i would have, but then again i did say "personally" and "I've" maybe that would have been a useful clue no? :shifty:
:wtf?:

Are you trying to justify being lazy and stupid or just clarify how little you know?
Papado
true. however i am planning to apply to the top universities only, A.K.A Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings, Queen Mary, so im guessing it should make more of a difference, right? :dontknow:

Since when did Newcastle stop being a top medical school? :confused:
jonnyofengland
Since when did Newcastle stop being a top medical school? :confused:

Tbh, when did medical schools become so unequal that people no longer apply to the schools with the course structure that most suits them, and instead apply to the ones with perceived prestige :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending