The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Chase Me
Such as whom? I'd like examples as proof, please.

Why? Do you want persuading?
Reply 61
jackMTN
Why? Do you want persuading?

I'm curious as to where the OP is drawing his conclusion from.
Reply 62
Chase Me
I'm curious as to where the OP is drawing his conclusion from.

I just think it just seems impractical to assume that OPs views on an entire race can be summed up into a post on a forum for the sake of arguament.
L i b
Violence, sectarianism, hostility to change, an embedded social expectation on the State, poor customer service, an apparent sense of general superiority (the 'Scottish swagger' to use Niall Ferguson's terminology), general cynicism...

Don't all these (with the exception of sectarianism) apply to England as well??

England is just as violent as Scotland - just as many murders etc there
Just as beig expectation on the state as in Scotland in terms of benefts etc. There are less well off areas like the Govan/Shettleston of Glasgow in England, where just as many people are on benefits as in Scotland.
Poor customer service is very apparent in England to me - i mean, some places turn Scots away because we only have Scottish bank notes (English have no problem using English notes within Scotland)
General superiority - sorry but i think the english are just as full of their on superiority as we Scots. I think the person who started this thread proves that.

Admittedly, Scotland does have a problem with sectarianism but it is being sorted out and it is definetly not as bad as 10 years or so ago when the aftermath of Old Firm matches was talked about just as much as the game itself.
Celtic_Anthony
Really? Not much chance of that in my school. All that happened was a few rough tackles or a "Fenian" (I thanked them:smile:) remark. None of it malicious, just ignorant. Was mostly Rangers at my school, but there were quite a few Celtic fans.

Yeah, I supported celtic, but my best friend, and most of the rest of the school, supported rangers. We'd banter about it for fun, but sadly there was a few who took it much further than that. Anything from just punching, elbow in the face, to stabbing someone in the head with a pencil. When I moved into secondary school, it got less frequent, as people got more intellegent and less ignorant, but the incidents that did occur were more serious. But all the seriously despicable idiots got expelled/jailed/left school eventually, and then it was much better, with hardly any fights.
Reply 65
Generalisation there.
Reply 66
jackMTN
I just think it just seems impractical to assume that OPs views on an entire race can be summed up into a post on a forum for the sake of arguament.

Why would you think that? The OP's views on an entire race were summed up into two words, and for the sake of interest and understanding, I'd like to know how he came to that conclusion. I would assume he can provide an example. Bear in mind, I did not ask you, so your argument means very little to me.
L i b
Violence, sectarianism, hostility to change, an embedded social expectation on the State, poor customer service, an apparent sense of general superiority (the 'Scottish swagger' to use Niall Ferguson's terminology), general cynicism...

Hmm... this wouldn't be another case of English superiority complex? You are aware that Scots are far more respected globally than the English? Some of your arguments are stupid as well...

Violence - Glasgow has a notorious crime rate, but I have never been involved in any violence in the city, or witnessed any, in my lifetime. Nottingham also has a high crime rate.

Sectarianism - This is all but eradicated. Old Firm used to be gigantic fights between two sets of fans, but now the trouble is no where near as bad (any derby game in England is just as violent)

Hostility to Change - Are you kidding? Have you completely ignored the SNP? Scotland turning away from the Labour Party is a pretty big change. Please, prove our hostility to change for me.

An embedded social expectation on the State - How is it any worse than the English?

Poor Customer Service - Compared to the English warmth in welcome and general geniality. Right.

An apparent sense of general superiority - We are a fiercely proud nation, but the English express their feelings of superiority in an altogether more snooty and patronising way.

General Cynicism - Again, an opinion. We are cynical about the weather, for good reason, and about the economy and money. That's mostly because the English trader in London all but destroyed both of our internationally-renowned banks in a quest for greed.
TimmyVermicelli
Hmm... this wouldn't be another case of English superiority complex? You are aware that Scots are far more respected globally than the English? Some of your arguments are stupid as well...

Violence - Glasgow has a notorious crime rate, but I have never been involved in any violence in the city, or witnessed any, in my lifetime. Nottingham also has a high crime rate.

Sectarianism - This is all but eradicated. Old Firm used to be gigantic fights between two sets of fans, but now the trouble is no where near as bad (any derby game in England is just as violent)

Hostility to Change - Are you kidding? Have you completely ignored the SNP? Scotland turning away from the Labour Party is a pretty big change. Please, prove our hostility to change for me.

An embedded social expectation on the State - How is it any worse than the English?

Poor Customer Service - Compared to the English warmth in welcome and general geniality. Right.

An apparent sense of general superiority - We are a fiercely proud nation, but the English express their feelings of superiority in an altogether more snooty and patronising way.

General Cynicism - Again, an opinion. We are cynical about the weather, for good reason, and about the economy and money. That's mostly because the English trader in London all but destroyed both of our internationally-renowned banks in a quest for greed.

Hehe, you go to the school I went to....

Firstly, you're arguing with a Scot, and one that will tear you a new one...

Secondly:
Sectarianism isn't restricted to Celtic/Rangers and physical violence. There are no longer fights at the game, but we still have a bit to go before we can say sectarianism is "all but eradicated", it still persists- go to Hamilton or Glasgow in July.

Thirdly:
Expectancy on the state: we have more dependents proportionately, I believe.

Fourthly:
Poor customer service- why must the English be the bench mark?

I made some of the same points as you, but that's where I feel you called it wrong:top:
Reply 69
Chase Me
Why would you think that? The OP's views on an entire race were summed up into two words, and for the sake of interest and understanding, I'd like to know how he came to that conclusion. I would assume he can provide an example. Bear in mind, I did not ask you, so your argument means very little to me.

Got me there.
Um, nope? I've not really met any Scots like that.
naivesincerity
Anyone noticed this?

Because English idiots like you seem to think it's ok to generalise a whole nation! Seriously, is there even a point in posts like this one?

And before any wise guy, says that my post proves his point.... all my post proves is that we Scots have little tollerence for stereotypes and unsubstantiated claims.

I mean seriously?:s-smilie:
What? LOL I'm the opposite of that.
TimmyVermicelli

I think it would be appropriate to rename this thread, "Why are so many Scots so oversensitive?"
fisherman
I think it would be appropriate to rename this thread, "Why are so many Scots so oversensitive?"

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Or the simple answer is:

"To hide their insecurities..."
Celtic_Anthony
Hehe, you go to the school I went to....

Firstly, you're arguing with a Scot, and one that will tear you a new one...

Secondly:
Sectarianism isn't restricted to Celtic/Rangers and physical violence. There are no longer fights at the game, but we still have a bit to go before we can say sectarianism is "all but eradicated", it still persists- go to Hamilton or Glasgow in July.

Thirdly:
Expectancy on the state: we have more dependents proportionately, I believe.

Fourthly:
Poor customer service- why must the English be the bench mark?

I made some of the same points as you, but that's where I feel you called it wrong:top:

Really? You seen the new building... it sucks :frown:

BTW, England should be the benchmark since it would be kind of stupid to compare us with America or Zambia or something.
fisherman

It's a boredom thing :wink:
TimmyVermicelli
Really? You seen the new building... it sucks :frown:

BTW, England should be the benchmark since it would be kind of stupid to compare us with America or Zambia or something.

Aye, I've been hearing 'bout it no end, and the **** of a heady.

What does geography have to do with customer service- should we not compare ourselves with the best customer service? (Incidentally, this "stupidly" may be the USA, who are also pretty close to us in all but geography...)
Reply 78
The scots are awesome in every conceivable way.
x
Reply 79
They begin so young...

Latest

Trending

Trending