The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Exactly - and it was all so pointless. All I wanted was some supporting evidence from a millowners archives. Now where I’m from there’s no shortage of mills, and most of them have deposited their archives in various centres. Off hand I can think of at least three archives within the Manchester area that hold such info none of them presenting any problems show my uni ID and access is given. So I changed the mill I was looking at and problem solved. But so annoying that they can’t see what the problem is.
Adorno
Okay. I'm on the train home on thursday (perfect reading opportunity :p: ) but can do it whenever.

Kk - I hope to have a FULL draft by thursday so will email it over at some point. It's shockingly bad though, don't think I've ever written such a pile of crap before so you're going to have SO much fun with it :o:
Reply 5982
musicbloke
I really really need a smoke but am the only person in the office so can't escape :frown:

MB

Can't you just smoke by the window ? That's what they've done in places I've worked...
wes
Can't you just smoke by the window ? That's what they've done in places I've worked...

That may be alright en France, but here, I think that's probably illegal! :biggrin:
Reply 5984
wes

That's illegal here - Charles Kennedy got a rap on the knuckles for smoking out a window on a train. Indeed, you must be more than a certain distance from the entrance to a place of work to smoke.
Reply 5985
I have a fun first term ahead of me - eight weeks of one of these...

1. Imputation of rare and common sequence variants in a British twin registry
2. Novel recombinational mechanisms in Neisseria meningitidis
3. Evolutionary investigation of autism-related genes using 1000 Genomes data
I'm an employed GOG :eek3:

Good luck with that C!
Heya everyone!:hello: How are we all doing in here? :grouphugs:

Does anyone's Uni Library, Journal subscription service cover the journal Progress In Physical Geography from 1988 onwards? Because I'm trying to get to a couple of articles that were published in 1988 yet my Uni's subscription for that journal only begins from 1999. :s-smilie: So a bit of a pain in the bum.
Elements

Does anyone's Uni Library, Journal subscription service cover the journal Progress In Physical Geography from 1988 onwards? Because I'm trying to get to a couple of articles that were published in 1988 yet my Uni's subscription for that journal only begins from 1999. :s-smilie: So a bit of a pain in the bum.

Only got it from 1998 unfortunately :frown:
Reply 5989
Elements

Oxford have got it from 1977 through Sage Complete, and it looks like I can pull it down for you. Which article? And which edition?
Reply 5990
Socrates
I'm an employed GOG :eek3:

Good luck with that C!

Oooh, where? And congrats!
MA dissertations are about originality right? :work:
Reply 5992
Yes, yes they are!
So my lack of secondary referencing and instead saying "this needs to be researched as a wider whole?" is a good thing?
Reply 5994
In general it should be, the lack of secondary material is a sign that your work is important beyond merely a grade making exercise. I would perhaps include a section in the intro about the paucity of such work as a caveat though.
Adorno
In general it should be, the lack of secondary material is a sign that your work is important beyond merely a grade making exercise. I would perhaps include a section in the intro about the paucity of such work as a caveat though.

Awesome - I have done that both in my intro and within my theory chapter :smile:
Reply 5996
Aye, that works well. It should satisfy most markers and is certainly in keeping with academic norms. How's it all going?

I'm currently sat in a frigging corridor to get wifi because Aberystwyth is so crappy. Only 36 hours to go and I'm leaving.
Getting there - on 9500 words with still a chapter to go! It needs some serious cutting, editing and re-wording though but will worry about that later! Am happy in parts with it, just don't think it'll ever be as good as I hoped it would be.

:work:
Reply 5998
Well, that's what passing it along to other readers helps to sort out doesn't it! I'm looking forward to reading it and don't let the long haul process get you down, it's hard to refine and make things perfect when you have a super that reads everything let alone one that has read nowt. :smile:
Adorno
Well, that's what passing it along to other readers helps to sort out doesn't it! I'm looking forward to reading it and don't let the long haul process get you down, it's hard to refine and make things perfect when you have a super that reads everything let alone one that has read nowt. :smile:

Thanks - think that's partly why I'm stressing because of the total lack of academic input :woo:

It's getting there and you can merrily delete stuff as it needs doing!

Latest

Trending

Trending