The Student Room Group

for medicine, is psychology a good third subject in a levels?

i'm definitely taking biology and chemistry, but i really don't want to do physics or math, even though i know those are recommended third subject options for medicine. i wanted to checkout psychology as i'm really interested in it already. is it a good option?
Pick a subject you will enjoy studying, and where you feel confident of a high grade - not one that you think will 'look good'.
Reply 2
Original post by m1kasa
i'm definitely taking biology and chemistry, but i really don't want to do physics or math, even though i know those are recommended third subject options for medicine. i wanted to checkout psychology as i'm really interested in it already. is it a good option?

For medicine it does not matter which you pick for your third subject (apart from Cambridge but that's one out of more than 40) - as McGinger said, choose something you enjoy - my third was music which is completely unrelated but made no difference to my chances
Original post by m1kasa

For your third choose a subject which your
Confident that you can get an A/A* in. That’s my advice. You may enjoy a subject but get a crap grade, so pick one you know you can do very well in (take this from someone who picked math at a level because I really enjoyed it at GCSE but found it pretty hard)

And good luck on your med application, any questions don’t hesitate to ask. I’ve currently got an offer for HYMS and UEA and waiting on Leicester
Original post by m1kasa

You only need physics or maths for Cambridge. No other medical school requires or prefers those. Psychology is perfectly acceptable for any medical school except Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest