The Student Room Group
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I do this to when marking. Same as Mr Alba it means either 'this is a 63 and is written pretty badly, but I can see you tried hard and I want to encourage you to keep it up' or 'this is such a stonking piece of work that I really don't care whether you wrote it in half an hour, and I want to make it clear that this is one of the finest things I've read'. Sadly usually the former.

Aye, I do it as well, so that makes at least three of us.

I also have a substantial kitty of ambiguous pseudo-praising adjectives which are in fact indicative of a problem. These include 'lively,' 'spirited,' 'enthusiastic,' 'opinionated,' and
'idiosyncratic.' They're useful because they encourage the student, but in the context of the rest of the feedback make clear that improvements need to be made.
Hey gais. Haven't been around here in aaaages.

I am now a postgraduate and an undergraduate at the same time :p: An undergraduate doing a postgraduate diploma anyhoo.
Original post by the_alba
Aye, I do it as well, so that makes at least three of us.

I also have a substantial kitty of ambiguous pseudo-praising adjectives which are in fact indicative of a problem. These include 'lively,' 'spirited,' 'enthusiastic,' 'opinionated,' and
'idiosyncratic.' They're useful because they encourage the student, but in the context of the rest of the feedback make clear that improvements need to be made.

I was sorting through some of my old uni stuff before I moved in the summer, and read one of the comments on an essay that I thought was brilliant (I got 79, so it wasn't terrible) but I must have neglected to take in "your writing style is idiosyncratic and slightly immature" when I saw the mark. I reread the essay and it was literally as if a 12 year old had written it, but I told them what to argue!
Carry on using idiosyncratic! It is an underused word :biggrin:
:rofl: always!
Reply 9825
i foooking crackered
Reply 9826
Original post by Becca

Hmm, maybe this is why my mentor (French) found it incredibly hard to compliment me on anything during my trainee year. She actually told another observer not to congratulate me on anything in case I got a big head :s-smilie:

Oh, it's a recognised and generalised practice from what I can tell. The aim is to "casser" the student/pupil/victim and it seems to be fairly generalised (though applied to varying extents) across the education system here. Or at least that's how it seems to be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wes
Oh, it's a recognised and generalised practice from what I can tell. The aim is to "casser" the student/pupil/victim and it seems to be fairly generalised (though applied to varying extents) across the education system here. Or at least that's how it seems to be.

Well she certainly "casséd" me, but I came back stronger :teeth: And now she says she regrets being so mean, I doubt if I were to relive that year again it would be any different though :p:
Original post by River85
Hey gais. Haven't been around here in aaaages.

I am now a postgraduate and an undergraduate at the same time :p: An undergraduate doing a postgraduate diploma anyhoo.

:hello: Nice to have you back. How're things going?
Hi, River! What's the PGDip in?

TSR is proper broken today, I might have to do some work :mad:
Prepare for a rant/self-pitying post.

Spoke to my lecturer today. She doesn't teach me at the moment, but she did in my first and second years and she is quite cool. Anyway, I am senior rep and basically tried to put across some of the concerns my group is having over one of the modules.

However, she decided that all of that was irrelevant because he was a world renowned academic (who is trying to teach accounting students econometrics) and we should know that. I said that we were all finding the lecture hard as he moves very quickly and assumes we have more of a maths background than most of us do. All she could come up with was 'well it's a Masters degree, it's going to be harder.' When I commented that the seminar teacher (a graduate assistant!) was better (people are skipping the lecturers and just go to the seminars), she just sort of said I should get 1-on-1 teaching - something I intend to do, but doesn't help everyone else (she said I should stop caring about everyone else, but if I don't sort this out, the international students who don't quite understand our system won't speak up). She said how we were all 'cosseted' at Coventry during our undergraduates, and I just wanted to say "well that's not my ****ing fault now, is it?"

She then decided to make it personal. I had a fried brain (I'd just had the quantitative methods lecture) and got a bit upset and she started saying how I was really fragile and shouldn't take on stuff like being a senior rep (I promptly told her how I had quit all societies and not got a job this year and I needed SOMETHING to do, and I thought it was important, which it is, because no-one else was telling her about the problems). Of course, I then got into a strange mix of upset-ness and annoyance that she wasn't believing me or taking me seriously.

Also, apparently she and the other EFA staff all talk about me - Shinder, Karl, Eileen, Clare, the whole shebang. Karl doesn't even teach here anymore. Apparently knowing that I want to go into production accounting if the opportunity ever arises is something that the entire department needs to know. She told my course leader this year about my epilepsy without even asking me - I don't mind that she knows, it's just the principle.

I just don't want to be called fragile and crap. Yes, I had problems through my undergraduate, some of which are not resolved, many of which are personal. She knows this and yet doesn't seem to understand that I'm still doing damn well to be where I am. She was 'happy to see me' when she realised that I was doing my postgraduate stuff here, but she doesn't seem to be showing that at all, exactly the opposite.

:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ice_Queen
x

Stay strong! Don't let people bully you. What she said was unacceptable! Gossip happens within departments but it was foolish of her to say that to ou and downright nasty. The fact she passed on the fact you have epilepsy without first consulting you is a breach of most universities confidentiality guidelines. You're only trying to help by being a course rep and if she isn't mature enough to take constructive criticism that will make her department better she's a bad colleague.

Spoiler

Hmmm... well if the problems continue you should just report her for bad conduct.
If she's not the lecturer in question who you can't follow, then perhaps go to the lecturer directly. Last week I went up to one of our methods lecturers and told him to drastically slow down. He was a bit grumpy but he listened and said he'd try to do things differently (he'd read large excerpts from complicated books out loud, without handouts or an overhead projection, at a ridiculous speed before launching onto another point at really high speed) At the second lecture his audience had halved, so perhaps he kind of got what I was trying to say.
Was going to apply for a Harvard postdoc, but they charge $35 for the privilege. This, to me, is hilarious. Maybe all jobs should start charging applicants - that way the job can fund itself.

(Oh, and **** you, Harvard)
Reply 9834
Original post by the_alba
Was going to apply for a Harvard postdoc, but they charge $35 for the privilege. This, to me, is hilarious. Maybe all jobs should start charging applicants - that way the job can fund itself.

(Oh, and **** you, Harvard)

Gotta love privatised education. Want to sneeze: $10. Flush the toilet: $1.25 (only accepts quarters). Sex with u/grads: free at the point of use but we charge you $3 for a condom and it goes on your termly bill.

Isn't it such a wonderful system that the English wish to copy? Scary thing tonight. Am off to protest cuts from a LABOUR council. It's a good thing I've committed Neil Kinnock's 1985 Conference speech to memory...

"...you have a Labour council, a Labour council scuttling around in taxis delivering redundancy notices to its own workers".

It's sickening that they've protected the pay of 9-5 managers and office staff but cut the wages of evening and weekend part-timers. :mad:
Original post by Craghyrax
Hmmm... well if the problems continue you should just report her for bad conduct.
If she's not the lecturer in question who you can't follow, then perhaps go to the lecturer directly. Last week I went up to one of our methods lecturers and told him to drastically slow down. He was a bit grumpy but he listened and said he'd try to do things differently (he'd read large excerpts from complicated books out loud, without handouts or an overhead projection, at a ridiculous speed before launching onto another point at really high speed) At the second lecture his audience had halved, so perhaps he kind of got what I was trying to say.

Unfortunately, I quite like her, she's generally a nice teacher. She's helped me a lot. She freely said to me before the meeting started (well, 'meeting' - it was her surgery hours) that she was having a busy day and whatnot and wasn't particularly happy and sunny.

I'm considering going to the lecturer, but he's quite scary, and doesn't teach my seminar or anything - I have a sneaky suspicion that he is a really clever person and just doesn't know how to dumb it down to us lot! Coventry seems to have a policy of hiring people like that.

Thank you though :smile: I just needed a rant!

LawQueen
Stay strong! Don't let people bully you. What she said was unacceptable! Gossip happens within departments but it was foolish of her to say that to ou and downright nasty. The fact she passed on the fact you have epilepsy without first consulting you is a breach of most universities confidentiality guidelines. You're only trying to help by being a course rep and if she isn't mature enough to take constructive criticism that will make her department better she's a bad colleague.

Like I said, she's usually really nice :frown: But yeah, I know that I pester the department a lot, but it's not because I fancy doing it, it's genuine questions and following up genuine concerns (except with Karl, where I'd go in with an actual question and come out having chatted about everything for three hours, knowing nothing about the subject I went in for...).

I'm not even trying to criticise her (if I am, it's accidental), I'm raising concerns that many students (i.e. everyone I have spoken to) have. She's second in charge in the department (and, if what I have seen so far is representative of the truth, she's actually doing most of the work). I'll probably raise some concerns at the Dean's meeting.

Meh... I have a jar of Nutella and the weekend now, so I'm going to just try to chill out for a bit and get back to the real world on Monday.

Thanks for all the support guys :smile: :grouphugs:
(edited 13 years ago)

I'm considering going to the lecturer, but he's quite scary, and doesn't teach my seminar or anything - I have a sneaky suspicion that he is a really clever person and just doesn't know how to dumb it down to us lot! Coventry seems to have a policy of hiring people like that.

That may be, but if he doesn't realise that people are struggling with his style, he doesn't even have the option of trying to alter it for people. As long as you tell him in a polite and constructive way, he wont' be offended, and the worst case scenario is no change. With my lecturer I just gave him a few examples of teaching styles that had been more helpful and suggested that incorporating different styles into his lecturing might cater to more people in the audience, than those that learn well by listening to an hour of fast-forward speed monologue.
That may be, but if he doesn't realise that people are struggling with his style, he doesn't even have the option of trying to alter it for people. As long as you tell him in a polite and constructive way, he wont' be offended, and the worst case scenario is no change. With my lecturer I just gave him a few examples of teaching styles that had been more helpful and suggested that incorporating different styles into his lecturing might cater to more people in the audience, than those that learn well by listening to an hour of fast-forward speed monologue.

Yeah that's true.

Stop being so damn smart. It's annoying :p:

Stop being so damn smart. It's annoying :p:

Not sure how that was meant to be smart :p: I would take any objections along the lines of my not being your mother though :p: I have a bit of a tendency of trying to make people do things I think are good for them :rolleyes:
Not sure how that was meant to be smart :p: I would take any objections along the lines of my not being your mother though :p: I have a bit of a tendency of trying to make people do things I think are good for them :rolleyes:

Maybe 'logical' is the word I'm looking for :p:

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, I know I'm guilty of that sometimes as well! As long as you practice what you preach :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending