The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm finding it a bit hard not to treat this whole new 'post rating' stuff as though its the 'like' option on facebook :o:
Original post by Craghyrax
I'm finding it a bit hard not to treat this whole new 'post rating' stuff as though its the 'like' option on facebook :o:

I think that's what they've gone for - I don't like it either :frown:

And all our rep levels have gone :frown:
Original post by apotoftea

And all our rep levels have gone :frown:

Not so bothered about that. Although I think the system should have been kept with some kind of tweaking to the algorithm so that we didn't have the huge extremes.
Reply 9843
Original post by the_alba
Was going to apply for a Harvard postdoc, but they charge $35 for the privilege. This, to me, is hilarious. Maybe all jobs should start charging applicants - that way the job can fund itself.

(Oh, and **** you, Harvard)

When I asked them about this, they said it's because they have such a name that they get far more speculative applications than they can properly deal with, so charge to try to discourage the less serious ones. However while true, I wonder if that's actually the reason, as it seems a bit more widespread practice across the US.

Original post by Ice_Queen
Unfortunately, I quite like her, she's generally a nice teacher. She's helped me a lot. She freely said to me before the meeting started (well, 'meeting' - it was her surgery hours) that she was having a busy day and whatnot and wasn't particularly happy and sunny.

I'm considering going to the lecturer, but he's quite scary, and doesn't teach my seminar or anything - I have a sneaky suspicion that he is a really clever person and just doesn't know how to dumb it down to us lot! Coventry seems to have a policy of hiring people like that.

Thank you though :smile: I just needed a rant!

Like I said, she's usually really nice :frown: But yeah, I know that I pester the department a lot, but it's not because I fancy doing it, it's genuine questions and following up genuine concerns (except with Karl, where I'd go in with an actual question and come out having chatted about everything for three hours, knowing nothing about the subject I went in for...).

I'm not even trying to criticise her (if I am, it's accidental), I'm raising concerns that many students (i.e. everyone I have spoken to) have. She's second in charge in the department (and, if what I have seen so far is representative of the truth, she's actually doing most of the work). I'll probably raise some concerns at the Dean's meeting.

Meh... I have a jar of Nutella and the weekend now, so I'm going to just try to chill out for a bit and get back to the real world on Monday.

Thanks for all the support guys :smile: :grouphugs:

This is a common problem for econometrics tutors, especially ones that are used to only teaching students who've chosen to study it and have a significant background in it. One of my lecturers at undergrad actively voiced his displeasure that he couldn't teach it in matrix form, as it's "the only way that's worth doing". It was pointed out to him that 2/3 of the students on the course had never studied matrices, it wasn't assumed knowledge for the course and that it's actually pretty useful without it (though it is the proper way).

Most though don't realise it's going too fast, and almost every lecturer I've had really wants to be useful, so hopefully he'll be willing to adapt a bit if he knows.
Reply 9844
Original post by Craghyrax

Aren't we meant to? I assumed that was what the new system was meant to be for. Though I don't like that post reps are worth the same as normal rep (what's the point in being able to rep 10 posts and only 1 person directly?) and yet only show up on the post as worth 1 each (even if they're worth 0). /mini-rant
Reply 9845
Glad I'm not going to the US next week.
Original post by Drogue
This is a common problem for econometrics tutors, especially ones that are used to only teaching students who've chosen to study it and have a significant background in it. One of my lecturers at undergrad actively voiced his displeasure that he couldn't teach it in matrix form, as it's "the only way that's worth doing". It was pointed out to him that 2/3 of the students on the course had never studied matrices, it wasn't assumed knowledge for the course and that it's actually pretty useful without it (though it is the proper way).

Most though don't realise it's going too fast, and almost every lecturer I've had really wants to be useful, so hopefully he'll be willing to adapt a bit if he knows.

Yeah, he's trying to teach us matrices now. I think! He said something about us not needing to know it, but I'm not really clear on whether we'll actually be expected to know it in the coursework/exam (i.e. whether we'll need to to do more than just pass). He's not very eloquent.

He asked who had studied matrices before and two people (in a class of about 200) put their hands up. He carried on anyway, so me and the guy next to me looked at each other and gave up. I also spoke to the lecturer I was on about earlier about giving us a list of 'assumed knowledge' before the course even starts, as we're all from different backgrounds, and 80% of the students are international. Only three or four actually studied Accountancy at Coventry.

I don't know :frown: I'll see how it goes when I talk to my seminar tutor on Monday. She seems more approachable than he is (and now I know he is 'world-renowned', I am even more intimidated....).
Original post by Drogue
Aren't we meant to? I assumed that was what the new system was meant to be for. Though I don't like that post reps are worth the same as normal rep (what's the point in being able to rep 10 posts and only 1 person directly?) and yet only show up on the post as worth 1 each (even if they're worth 0). /mini-rant

I have to say I haven't paid too much attention to the ins and outs of it. The discussion and development process regarding reputation took place during my finals, and I could really only spare time for front line modding.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Drogue

I sat a final year political economy module as an undergrad taught by an economist (but run by the politics school). I mentioned to him that some of us were struggling with the economic knowledge expected of us. He replied 'this is really only second year economics, I don't understand why you're finding it difficult'. I pointed out to him that none of us had taken first year economics, or even A level in most cases...
Ooofff we're getting close to GogSoc IVth thread :eek:
So we are! It so has to be Gogsoc goes forth.

Edit: have made: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28301142#post28301142

Hopefully any passing supermod can change the OP to PQ.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending