The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chaseside
You sure that would help?

What did the last one do to feminism then? That answers your question.
Reply 201
LawBore
You sound confused. The message is 'Look, attractive....UNTIL THIS. Use mouthwash, you won't look like this'. Obvious, really.

Or not, considering the pointlessness of the advert has been criticised by many
Teigan, what are your questions? If you post them again clearly, i'll be happy to answer them.

As for my self-respect comment, no i don't mean that only outspoken feminists have self-respect. However, when i see women pandering to a man's desires and being oblivious to it, then yes, i do think that self-respect is lacking.
Reply 203
MNBStyle
Sexism isn't always intended to be insulting i should add.

Im a magician...sort of :P and everyone will know how most magicians usually have a very sexy eye catching assistant? Sexist to some yes? but trust me theres a reason there always so eye catching :wink:

You have an assistant? :s-smilie:
Reply 204
NDGAARONDI
What did the last one do to feminism then? That answers your question.

She did ok :s-smilie:
Reply 205
einszweipolizei
Dude, that's far too late to even be in the running for the 'I'm the least imaginitive, most sexist joke-maker' award. Gutted.

Dude, n00bs don't decide.

Gutted.
Reply 206
Indievertigo
Sadly self-respect and feminism rarely coincide.
I agree with this, but only to a certain extent.
Feminism in the form of wanting men and women to be paid the same for doing the same job, or being angry when a woman is dismissed for being pregnant or not hired on the basis that she might become pregnant I think shows self respect - women wanting to be successful and not wanting undue obstacles to this.
However this extreme reactionary feminism - ugh. I don't understand why so many people seem so offended by men being attracted to attractive women :confused: if anything, the portrayal of men is worse in that advert - the pervy guy who drips burger grease down his front, the businessman who is concentrating on girls rather than his job and makes a fool of himself dropping his phone - it's like "men are idiots, look how pathetic they are when confronted with pretty women" - I think that's worse than "oh look, these women take pride in their job and appearance, and they're quite nice"
einszweipolizei
We are two different sexes. Gender politics has everything to do with sex. I don't look down on women who have several partners; I look down on a society that makes them feel they must use their bodies to be loved and accepted.

:rolleyes:

Ah ok, but no doubt you would loathe a man who did that.
I on the other hand do look down on people who have several partners.
Reply 208
^^ both on ignore :P

No one quote them!
Reply 209
Indievertigo

Both sexes who sleep around?
Reply 210
chaseside
You have an assistant? :s-smilie:

lol no i dont, the sort of magic or illusions i would do dont need one, but im sure you've seen it before on tv
And feminism does help reduce sexual assault. It helps to highlight the issue, and it lobbies the government to do something about it. It advices on education campaigns, on appropriate legal redresses, and it provides care for the victims.

It also helps to point out that our society is what causes this kind of behaviour. And then rational people can take note, and act accordingly.
chaseside
Both sexes who sleep around?

I said people for a reason:p:
Reply 213
dreiviergrenadier
Teigan, what are your questions? If you post them again clearly, i'll be happy to answer them.

As for my self-respect comment, no i don't mean that only outspoken feminists have self-respect. However, when i see women pandering to a man's desires and being oblivious to it, then yes, i do think that self-respect is lacking.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16781349&postcount=167

And what about if the man's desires are her desires too? I like to look attractive and well groomed, and I would say a guy would like a girl to look attractive too. Am I lacking in self respect?
Indievertigo

I wouldn't loathe a man for doing it because I, unlike the vast majority of the British population, don't have double standards. I would prefer a society in which love was encouraged, rather than just masses of loveless sex.
By CHRIST I am seriously worried by those of you who have analysed every shred of this advert and found offence in it. If you are THAT sensitive, how the hell are you going to go through life?
chaseside
She did ok :s-smilie:

Eh? I always felt Thatcher knocked back feminism tbh.
Reply 217
Teigan
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16781349&postcount=167

And what about if the man's desires are her desires too? I like to look attractive and well groomed, and I would say a guy would like a girl to look attractive too. Am I lacking in self respect?

Arguing against obvious sexism in this advert i'd say yup
NDGAARONDI
Eh? I always felt Thatcher knocked back feminism tbh.

She did. She acted like a man in order to compete; that's not feminism. She's also convinced many voters that a female prime minister could only damage our country. I don't agree with her politics. However, gotta love The Lady's Not For Turning.
Reply 219
MNBStyle
lol no i dont, the sort of magic or illusions i would do dont need one, but im sure you've seen it before on tv

Haha do you go about the streets performing??

Latest

Trending

Trending