The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
scotty01292
You got a B (past tense), implying you've already got the B and done GCSEs already
You hope you will get all A*s in the rest (future tense), implying you've not done GCSEs yet...

Which?

Everyone at my school does french a year early, maybe the OP's the same? Not that your obviously very thorough knowledge the intricacies of past and future tense isn't impressive.
Reply 21
scotty01292
You got a B (past tense), implying you've already got the B and done GCSEs already
You hope you will get all A*s in the rest (future tense), implying you've not done GCSEs yet...

Which?

HAHA both!
i took latin and french a year early and got a B and A* respectively
Reply 22
HHAAAAHAHahahaaa...

LoL

:rofl:
Nope, they screen out all B's before they get to a real human being AT. That's why you have to be very careful writing you personal statement...
Reply 24
I got a D at AS Maths and got pooled for Cambridge. Rejected by now, but I assume I was pooled for some kind of reason, originally.
Zoe1986
History, so it wasn't exactly unpopular! I should have done a lot better at GCSE though.
This was 4 years ago btw, I have finished uni now... but still, getting all A*s isn't particularly important!

Good glad to hear it, did you get into oxford in the end then?
Um I think the whole 'you need 3 million A*s to get into ox-bridge' myth is exactly that.. There's a boy from my brother's school who has been given an offer for Cambridge and he didn't get straight A GCSEs. They have, however, asked him for a higher grade requirement than they usually do for that course. I think provided you work hard on the rest of your application and ensure that every other area is strong, you will certainly be considered.
Reply 27
jamessimth5
Good glad to hear it, did you get into oxford in the end then?

No I didn't get an offer I went to Sheffield in the end, but not getting into Oxford was down to my interview rather than my GCSE grades at least!
I got two A*s, five A's, three B's and a C, and now hold an offer for SPS at Cambridge. So yeah dont worry about GCSEs too much.
Reply 29
My highest grade was a B (admittedly I took my GCSEs many, many years ago) but as long as you meet the matriculation requirements http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/index.html#course it doesn't matter so much what your GCSEs are. Do well in your AS/A-Levels, interview and (if required) any entrance exams and you'll get an offer if you deserve one.

If you're really concerned, ask an admissions tutor.
scotty01292

Which?

you don't have to do all gcses in the same year..

sort your logic out numbnuts
Well_Hello
you don't have to do all gcses in the same year..

sort your logic out numbnuts

Sort out your attitude numbnuts... I was trying to get enough information for me to understand the situation fully... No need to be such an arse about it.
I got AAAB at AS and was rejected pre-interview :frown: Can think of no other good reason for it...!
Reply 33
No, they will spit on the likes of you 'B' graders you commoners you.

Course they will, just try and do well in your other subjects.
Bella_trixxx
I got AAAB at AS and was rejected pre-interview :frown: Can think of no other good reason for it...!

Didn't like your personal statement or your teachers maybe said something bad about you? What were your predicted grades?
Reply 35
some one should make a sticky about university misconceptions

"hint" "hint"
Mattisabiologist
I got an interview for Biology at Oxford with a B in English Literature at GCSE and a B in AS music. So you will be considered yes. Whether you get a place is very much down to your interview performance.
Also, someone from my school got an offer from Cambridge for Theology with ABBC at AS and the C was in Philosophy and Ethics. This was a few years ago though.
I think they will give you a shot as long as everything else is good.

My sister at Cambridge says the Theology students aren't very bright.
scotty01292
Didn't like your personal statement or your teachers maybe said something bad about you? What were your predicted grades?

I'm sure my PS and reference were all good but yeah, despite much arguing with my college's English department, they wouldn't predict me an A (despite the fact that I'd never gotten anything less than an A on any of my essays through my AS year and did end up getting an A in the end, just had a bit of a blip on one exam). Damn you, English! :frown:
Bella_trixxx
I'm sure my PS and reference were all good but yeah, despite much arguing with my college's English department, they wouldn't predict me an A (despite the fact that I'd never gotten anything less than an A on any of my essays through my AS year and did end up getting an A in the end, just had a bit of a blip on one exam). Damn you, English! :frown:

That may be the answer. Just look at almost everyone with offers. With the very occasional exception they're all AAA or AAAA
scotty01292
That may be the answer. Just look at almost everyone with offers. With the very occasional exception they're all AAA or AAAA

The point is, it was still my English department's fault and not mine :p: (lalalalaINDENIALlalalala....)

Latest

Trending

Trending