The Student Room Group

Magdalen College School, Oxford

I've just finished the MCS verbal reasoning test for Year 12 entry and did not finish it. I did the vast majority of the questions and only left maybe up to four and the ones that I did finish I was pretty confident in.

Does not finishing automatically get you rejected? What did other people think?
(edited 3 years ago)
Bumping this for you
Reply 2
Wishing you well. Did you get an interview in the end?
Was it hard? My boyfriend also applied to Magdalen and he told me there were quite a bit of logic questions and less comprehension questions
Original post by IonaKorom
I've just finished the MCS verbal reasoning test for Year 12 entry and did not finish it. I did the vast majority of the questions and only left maybe up to four and the ones that I did finish I was pretty confident in.

Did you end up getting in? I left half a page of the verbal reasoning test unfinished and I was still able to get in. I think it really depends on subject papers and interviews as well!
Original post by itsbhere
Did you end up getting in? I left half a page of the verbal reasoning test unfinished and I was still able to get in. I think it really depends on subject papers and interviews as well!

what do they ask you in the interview more a less? What type of questions in the verbal reasoning? I have to get into this school so could you please give me advice for how to prepare
Reply 6
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
what do they ask you in the interview more a less? What type of questions in the verbal reasoning? I have to get into this school so could you please give me advice for how to prepare

I had a maths and biology interview. Maths interview literally got given GCSE maths questions. For example finding the area of a complex shape and rearranging equations to make ‘x’ the subject of the formula when it was like 1/a = 1/b + 1/x.

For Biology, it was just an extension of GCSE. We discussed the counter-current system in kidney dialysis. She asked me what my favourite topic was at GCSE and asked me questions based on that.

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself - I know it may seem like you need to get in but I didn’t get in (though they offered to reconsider their decision after my GCSE results) and I’ve just received an offer from Cambridge. I’m glad I didn’t go because I don’t think I would’ve found my crowd there and it didn’t look like a particularly fun environment. Also if you’re looking to apply to oxbridge, it could be beneficial to go to a different school as MCS is probably considered a bit of an ‘oxbridge farm’ as they get many offers there, so it does give you a slight disadvantage in admissions. Not to put you off the school - just wanting to ease the pressure and remind you that no matter where you go, things will work out if you put in the effort.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by IonaKorom

what type of questions do they ask you in the verbal reasoning????
Original post by UnicornLol
Was it hard? My boyfriend also applied to Magdalen and he told me there were quite a bit of logic questions and less comprehension questions

did he get in?? if so, which extracurriculars did he do and what type of questions did they ask him in the interview + verbal reasoning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending