The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Brilliant. Good for him.
Reply 2
Hahaha Love it :biggrin: x
yeah, I've been watching this on sky news

seems wrong that the presenters are treating the story so light-heartedly... it is a pretty funny story, but christ, the president of the united states could have been hurt badly on national TV... but because it was the lovable idiot george bush it's all a bit of banter

if it had been obama getting shoes thrown at him, adam boulton would probably have a coronary
el scorcho

seems wrong that the presenters are treating the story so light-heartedly... it is a pretty funny story, but christ, the president of the united states could have been hurt badly on national TV... but because it was the lovable idiot george bush it's all a bit of banter

if it had been obama getting shoes thrown at him, adam boulton would probably have a coronary

Seriously. It's annoying. Throwing shoes at people is suddenly OK just because we disagree with the politics of the person who's having the shoe thrown at them?
Reply 5
DanGrover
Seriously. It's annoying. Starting a war is suddenly OK just because we assume they have nuclear bombs??

Fixed.
That's good!
el scorcho

How on Earth could the President have been hurt badly? It was a shoe. NOT a lethal weapon by any definition.
Reply 8
Bubbles*de*Milo
How on Earth could the President have been hurt badly? It was a shoe. NOT a lethal weapon by any definition.

Exactly what I was about to say...
People miss the point that it's an embarrassment to have a shoe thrown at you if you're the president. Forgetting obvious security issues, it basically made a mockery out of Bush and put the nail in the coffin, made sure he didn't go peacefully and quiety.
Bubbles*de*Milo

So true.
Reply 11
lol what a load of ****. ******* idiots
puddlove
Exactly what I was about to say...

What if the show had an explosive in it?
Bubbles*de*Milo

I don't see how that's remotely relevant. It was an attempted assault. Is it somehow legitimate to hurl heavy objects things at people as long as they won't get 'hurt badly'?
Yes, it was a crime, but does the possible sentence fit the crime?

Had it been Obama doing all the things Bush did, the shoe would be just as deserved.

Put it this way, if America was taken over by Zimbabwe by force, and Robert Mugabe visited, and an American threw that shoe, forget punishment he would be hailed a god. Forever.
Overground
I don't see how that's remotely relevant. It was an attempted assault. Is it somehow legitimate to hurl heavy objects things at people as long as they won't get 'hurt badly'?

I wasn't questioning at all whether it was right or wrong to hurl objects at people. I was rejecting the person's stupid hyperbole; why try and dramatise this anymore? The President could not have been 'hurt badly' and it was a pair of shoes; the journalist wasn't wearing Dr Martins, so I fail to see how it could be constituted as 'heavy objects' tbh.
Reply 16
WarmEye
Fixed.

:p: :biggrin:
Overground

xTazx
Yes, it was a crime, but does the possible sentence fit the crime?

Had it been Obama doing all the things Bush did, the shoe would be just as deserved.

Put it this way, if America was taken over by Zimbabwe by force, and Robert Mugabe visited, and an American threw that shoe, forget punishment he would be hailed a god. Forever.

"According to witnesses, al-Zaidi was "severely beaten" by security officers after he had been dragged out of the room following the shoe-throwing incident. As the man's screaming could be heard outside, Bush said "That’s what people do in a free society, draw attention to themselves." A "large blood trail" could be seen on the carpet where al-Zaidi had been dragged by security agents. Dawa-owned Afaq TV reported that security forces kicked al-Zaidi and beat him. His family reports that it has received many threatening phone calls. The United States Secret Service and the Iraqi Police took custody of al-Zaidi. Al-Zaidi was tested for alcohol and drugs, and his shoes were confiscated as evidence. Al-Zaidi was interrogated by Iraqi and U.S. agents to ascertain whether anyone paid him to throw his shoes at Bush. In an interview with BBC News, al-Zaidi's brother, Durgham al-Zaidi, reported that Muntadhar al-Zaidi suffered a broken hand, broken ribs, internal bleeding, and an eye injury. Durgham al-Zaidi told Al Jazeera that his brother was tortured. Al-Baghdadia TV said that al-Zaidi was "seriously injured" during his detention. Al Sharqiya also points to signs of injury on his thighs and an immobile right arm. However, a different brother, Maitham al-Zaidi, spoke with Muntadhar on the phone and was told: "Thank God I am in good health." On Friday 19 December Dhia al-Kinani, the Judge investigating the case, said there were signs al-Zaidi had been beaten; al-Zaidi had bruises on his face and around his eyes. The Judge also said al-Zaidi had not yet raised a formal charge relating to his injuries. His lawyer, Dhiya'a al-Sa'adi, has also confirmed that al-Zaidi had been beaten, stating that "there are visible signs of torture on his body".

I didn't think that was a standard legal punishment for "attempted assault". :rolleyes:
WarmEye
Fixed.

I'm not entirely sure how that's relevant to what I said, though. You don't have to support Bush's stance on war or even politics to think that throwing shoes at people isn't cool.
Reply 19
DanGrover
I'm not entirely sure how that's relevant to what I said, though. You don't have to support Bush's stance on war or even politics to think that throwing shoes at people isn't cool.

It is, kind of. He shows no disregard to the Iraki then why should one show mercy upon him?

Latest

Trending

Trending