The Student Room Group

A* at a level

I'm sorry if this thread has been done before, but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

Am I right in thinking the following...

In geogrpahy for example i could get...
AS: 77 ums and 90 ums (ba) and an A overall...
A2: 95 ums and 99 ums... (aa)
which would give me an A grade. But because this is 361 ums overall... would i get an A* at A level?
A* is solely on your A2 modules am i correct? Despite the B in my AS year in one exam, I could get an A*?!?!

Also... how about the second sceanrio...
AS: 77 ums, 100 ums (ba)
A2: 99 ums 85 ums (aa)

Would I only get A, despite achieving 361 ums again, but having less than 90% in one of my A2 modules...???

I'm very confused, cheers for some help:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There arent A* in a level dude
Reply 2
Kaykiie
There arent A* in a level dude

there are now! :smile: (A2s that start in '09 and '08 AS levels)
Reply 3
:redface: SERIOUSLY?? Well thats a b!tch aint it!! lol
Reply 4
Kaykiie
:redface: SERIOUSLY?? Well thats a b!tch aint it!! lol

It certainly is, but thankfully, its not ours to worry about :biggrin:
I think the concept of an A* is slightly ridiculous, considering that A-Levels have done fine with just the standard A grades in the past! :P
Reply 6
geneticphreak
I think the concept of an A* is slightly ridiculous, considering that A-Levels have done fine with just the standard A grades in the past! :P

I know im guilty of this myself but i think we should try and stay on topic as its quite unhelpful to the OP :smile:
hazzypants
I'm sorry if this thread has been done before, but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

Am I right in thinking the following...

In geogrpahy for example i could get...
AS: 77 ums and 90 ums (ba) and an A overall...
A2: 95 ums and 99 ums... (aa)
which would give me an A grade. But because this is 361 ums overall... would i get an A* at A level?
A* is solely on your A2 modules am i correct? Despite the B in my AS year in one exam, I could get an A*?!?!

Also... how about the second sceanrio...
AS: 77 ums, 100 ums (ba)
A2: 99 ums 85 ums (aa)

Would I only get A, despite achieving 361 ums again, but having less than 90% in one of my A2 modules...???

I'm very confused, cheers for some help:smile:

No, you are really confusing it. You need 80% or over at AS, and 90% or over at A2 to get an A* overall.
Reply 8
erm, well if you started your AS's last year then you cant get an A*, because your not on the new syllabus,im in the same situation. We are the last year not being possible to get an A*.

Sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Lucy Percy
erm, well if you started your AS's last year then you cant get an A*, because your not on the new syllabus,im in the same situation. We are the last year not being possible to get an A*.

Sorry :s-smilie:

No I can get an A* I just started my AS levels in septmeber... it does that in my sig...
I hate the whole A*thing.
Its just another grade I can't get.:sad:
Reply 11
SometimeBeforeMidnight
No, you are really confusing it. You need 80% or over at AS, and 90% or over at A2 to get an A* overall.

Yeh but is that 80% overall at AS... or is that at least 80% in every module...?
Reply 12
geneticphreak

its theoretically a good idea - the A is such a wide band and so many people cant get them its better to give another distinction to show the truly best, but i cant see it being useful that often, the common example is with distinguishing oxbridge applicants but the ask for your full mark break down anyway
hazzypants
Yeh but is that 80% overall at AS... or is that at least 80% in every module...?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_mark_do_you_need_for_an_A.2A.3F

See there.
Reply 14
It just gives a higher grade for pupils to aim for, personally i don't like it, because it means competitive courses in Uni's such as Med will raise the grade boundaries and harder for people to get in, but i get the point of it, due to the number of people applying for Med each year.
Reply 15
In order to ger A* at A.L you need to get an overall 540/600.
its a good idea imo, because loads of people get A's but not that many will get A* so it will make it more of an achievement getting a higher A normaly is the same as scraping an A
80% overall (AS + A2) and 90% in A2
Reply 18
Dumdedoobie
I hate the whole A*thing.
Its just another grade I can't get.:sad:

haha yeah, at the end of the day i definitely won't be getting A*s so its utterly meaingless :p:
geneticphreak

Too many students getting A grades, obviously. Don't you think 25% getting A's is a little excessive?

Latest