The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
johnbrown
A mark in the world. Lol. No one is going to make a mark in the world, not even the prime minister of Britain really has much power, not right now and definitely not a few years down the line. And you don't need to have a career to explore your mental capactiy, especially since most jobs end up being mind numbly mundane and repetitive if they aren't to begin with.

Men generally are more guilty of it. They are genetically and partly socially programmed to be, which is why they are generally the ones with the better careers. And it is smugness. They feel smug in their feminist ivory tower. They just love it when someone like me comes along who actually thinks there are things better than a career and money because then they can feel really superior to me, both intellectually and morally. I pity them. They will look back on their lives when they are old bitter hags who hate everyone and realise they were not happy and now they are going to die. I have seen it happen and it is not pretty.

Pfft. Not really worth responding to but I may as well....
Do you really believe all successful women think like that? You don't need kids to validate your femininity which seems to be your implication. By making a mark on the world I don't mean drastically changing the world. I meant some small contribution to the arts or science or technology or society. I agree many jobs are mundane but high-powered women can be influential and frankly that is my aim. To have some influence in an area important to me. I'm not going to be old and bitter thank you, nor do I consider myself to be morally superior to anyone else for having different priorities.
johnbrown
Yes it does suck to be us. There's nothing we can do about it though, men and women are different!!!

Anyways, raising children can be fun. I don't see why it's so looked down upon now-a-days. Having a 'career' isn't going to make anyone any happier. Women think it will so they can feel all smug and superior but really just power crazy feminazis

That's complete crap. Having children would make me miserable. Having a career and being a physicist is what would make me happy. I would never, ever call myself a feminist, either.
Rainfaery
That's complete crap. Having children would make me miserable. Having a career and being a physicist is what would make me happy. I would never, ever call myself a feminist, either.

You'll probably change. Almost everyone gets maternal. I've never known anyone regret having kids but I've known a few regret not having them or be unhappy about not being able to have them (because they're gay or too old once they meet their partner etc.).
If you want to just be a physicist (what does that actually involve?) then fine but I personally find it a bit weird.

Every woman is slightly feminist. Not all are feminazis however.
Reply 43
I think if my mother had put her career before me I'd be much happier now. I'm now faced with bearing the financial burden of someone who was no money, hasn't worked in decades and therefore has no references that would get her even a menial job now, and who won't have a pension in a couple of years, who I will therefore have to financially support throughout her old age (and I've been financially supporting her in one way or another since I was 17. So.
johnbrown
You'll probably change. Almost everyone gets maternal. I've never known anyone regret having kids but I've known a few regret not having them or be unhappy about not being able to have them (because they're gay or too old once they meet their partner etc.).
If you want to just be a physicist (what does that actually involve?) then fine but I personally find it a bit weird.

I find it offensive that you think you know me better than I know me. I don't like small children. They are extremely annoying, and I could never have the patience to raise one.

Being a physicist entails teaching and doing research. Why is that weird? Just because I'm a girl?
Rainfaery
I find it offensive that you think you know me better than I know me. I don't like small children. They are extremely annoying, and I could never have the patience to raise one.

Being a physicist entails teaching and doing research. Why is that weird? Just because I'm a girl?

No, why have you brought gender into it again? It's weird to want to spend all your life obsessing over like a molecule instead of having a family and some fun. But you know, each to their own :s-smilie:

You're 17. Trust me, you'll change :wink: I am old beyond my years and have witnessed many young'uns feel like this, they always come round in the end. Anyways, you can easily hate other peoples children but love your own.
Reply 46
johnbrown

Your generalisations are ridiculous based on thin air. I'm bored of your nonsense so this will be my last response.

I want to contribute something to society more than having kids and passing on my genes. Maybe I would like a family but I wouldn't sacrifice my career for it. If you are curious I'm getting involved with sustainable sanitation projects abroad after my degree and hopefully I will work for a major charity or regulatory body in this field someday.

I have been given quite a lot in my life and I want to give something back I know that will make me feel happy. I want to travel also and spend my time meeting and filling my life with new people. I just don't want to be stuck with kids in a house and a plodding part time job oh and yes some people do regret having them you know if they are honest! It's not an easy job.
johnbrown
No, not all successful women think like that because by the time they become successful most have become disillussioned and realised that it wasn't worth it. What's the point of your little contribution/influence? I am genuinely curious as to why you think that would make you even a little bit happier, you won't get much recognition for it. Even if you did you would die soon enough and it would mean nothing.
At least once you get old you still have children around to look after you. Your career isn't going to come to visit you when you're on your deathbed. Would you rather not have a nice loving family who would respect you and admire you for who you are? Why do you feel you need recognition or something from somewhere else? It doesn't mean you can't have a career. I just don't think it should be some sort of ultimate goal in a persons life - man or woman.

Maybe the idea of being stuck at home, financially dependant on someone else isn't too appealing to some.

Maybe some women don't see why they should get a degree and have a career and then be expected to give it up because they were born with a womb - it takes two people to make a child, the fact that you carried it doesn't make you the better parent.

Maybe they like the idea of being in an adult environment, being mentally stimulated and having something else in their life other than their children. Yes family is important, but children aren't everything to everybody, and just because they aren't the only thing in your life doesn't make you an awful parent, I think in a lot of ways in can enrich a childs life - espeically if the parent would be unhappy if they had to be at home all the time.
Reply 48
johnbrown
No, why have you brought gender into it again? It's weird to want to spend all your life obsessing over like a molecule instead of having a family and some fun. But you know, each to their own :s-smilie:

You're 17. Trust me, you'll change :wink: I am old beyond my years and have witnessed many young'uns feel like this, they always come round in the end. Anyways, you can easily hate other peoples children but love your own.

Patronising. How do you know what she wants?
Reply 49
johnbrown

Sorry, but I know plenty of academics in their forties, fifties and sixties who have no intention of having children, and never have had. Male and female. You sound very patronizing.
the_alba
Sorry, but I know plenty of academics in their forties, fifties and sixties who have no intention of having children, and never have had. Male and female. You sound very patronizing.

academics aren't real people. Everyone knows that
thesuperficial
Maybe the idea of being stuck at home, financially dependant on someone else isn't too appealing to some.

Maybe some women don't see why they should get a degree and have a career and then be expected to give it up because they were born with a womb - it takes two people to make a child, the fact that you carried it doesn't make you the better parent.

Maybe they like the idea of being in an adult environment, being mentally stimulated and having something else in their life other than their children. Yes family is important, but children aren't everything to everybody, and just because they aren't the only thing in your life doesn't make you an awful parent, I think in a lot of ways in can enrich a childs life - espeically if the parent would be unhappy if they had to be at home all the time.

But the point is people think they're going to be happier running themselves into the ground for some sort of 'career' but they're not
Reply 52
johnbrown
academics aren't real people. Everyone knows that

Well, the person you're arguing with is on her way to being one. As am I.
the_alba
Well, the person you're arguing with is on her way to being one. As am I.

What does that prove?
johnbrown
But the point is people think they're going to be happier running themselves into the ground for some sort of 'career' but they're not

How can you claim that exactly? or this just some conjecture based on your own experiences. Cos you know, knowing a few people who didn't enjoy their job doesn't make you some sort of expert.

And I never said anything about running yourself into the ground, it is possible to have a career without doing that.

even the unhappy ones are probably happier than people who've been out of work for 25 years while they had kids, now don't have kids at home or who visit that often, and can't get even a basic ****** job cos they gave their life up for the magical journey of motherhood.
thesuperficial
How can you claim that exactly? or this just some conjecture based on your own experiences. Cos you know, knowing a few people who didn't enjoy their job doesn't make you some sort of expert.

And I never said anything about running yourself into the ground, it is possible to have a career without doing that.

even the unhappy ones are probably happier than people who've been out of work for 25 years while they had kids, now don't have kids at home or who visit that often, and can't get even a basic ****** job cos they gave their life up for the magical journey of motherhood.

Calm down. I never said they should take 25 years off lol and I also never said they should dedicate their whole life to motherhood, although I do think it's a more worthy career than working.
Parents have to work hard at their careers to make money to support their children though.
Reply 57
Well, if I can afford it I will.
Reply 58
johnbrown

Ah yes, they'd be much happier saddled with a couple of brats that they didn't really want for the rest of their lives :rolleyes:

It's perfectly possible not to want kids, many people live very happy lives without them. If I have kids I intend on taking 2 years at the absolute maxium out of work. If I had to stay at home and become a housewife, I'd rather not have kids.
Reply 59
LOLZ at johnbrown's first post saying, "People accuse me of being sexist but I'm not," then going on to contradict this with everything else he's said.

Latest

Trending

Trending