The Student Room Group

Good IR universities or gap year

With straight As at GCSE and 3 As at A level I applied to LSE, Durham, StAndrews, Hull for International Relations and Queens for PPE. I got offers only from Queens and Hull.

Bearing in mind that I don't mind taking a gap year out to resit or add new A Levels and reapply, do you think that the course at Hull is well respected nationally and internationally.

Likewise, Queens University has started PPE this year, do you think it would be risky to go for that when it could turn out to be useless?
Reply 1
Would you feel comfortable studying at either Hull or Queens?

Most important is that you can see yourself studying there for 3+ years - It might be worth taking a gap year if you don't mind it as you say, and you will then not ask yourself "what if" questions.

I do not know much about Hull however.
I don't think a PPE degree from any university would be considered useless - It's a solid degree, and in the end employers does more look on the whole of your application just than only the university mark.

I've also been rejected by LSE and St. Andrews as you see. I hope Durham won't.
Reply 2
I'd like to go over the water to be honest but two things put me off: I'm always told that Hull isn't really the best place, and the Queen's courses look slightly more interesting.

Also hell yeah immortal technique sig
Reply 3
at www.unionview.com there's a video about Queen's that might interest you (seems like a cool place).
I've heard that Hull has some great departments, although the campus might not be the nicest.

Oh yeah mate :wink: I dig u!
Reply 4
Hull do have a strong department but do bear in mind that their strengths lie in British politics, I'm not too sure what the quality of an IR course is there so be wary of that, although it's unlikely that it'll be of a poor standard.

With those grades, personally, I would reapply but don't feel like you need to if you like you're content with your offers. If you do reapply, I think it would be wise to go for a few mid-range ones that ask for AAB because I'm sure with your grades you'll stand a shot.

Alternatively, I believe that this year there's going to be a system where if you exceed or meet your firm offer, you will still be allowed to look for universities that still have spaces left for whatever reason. It's explained here under 'Changes after Confirmation'.
Reply 5
Asert
With straight As at GCSE and 3 As at A level I applied to LSE, Durham, StAndrews, Hull for International Relations and Queens for PPE. I got offers only from Queens and Hull.

Bearing in mind that I don't mind taking a gap year out to resit or add new A Levels and reapply, do you think that the course at Hull is well respected nationally and internationally.

Likewise, Queens University has started PPE this year, do you think it would be risky to go for that when it could turn out to be useless?

What were your subjects at A level?
Reply 6
Politics
Economics
Maths

A at AS in ICT
Reply 7
bump

Latest

Trending

Trending