The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bb_girl
Thank you so so much. DO you happen to know when is the last date when I can announce them that I've changed my course?

There isn't really one. I mean you can apply for student finance right up until the end of the academic year in which you are in, but you ought to call ASAP if you want it by the start of term - I don't think they guarantee anything if you call this late on, but even by their standards, they would have to be absolutely useless to not be sorted out by when you start! Anyway, no deadlines, but call as soon as you possibly can.
How do i change that i am going to be living on campus so i can get more amount? it currently says i am living at home. how do i change that?
Original post by imabigboynow
How do i change that i am going to be living on campus so i can get more amount? it currently says i am living at home. how do i change that?

I would just ring them up. Do you get more of a grant if you are living on the campus or is it just more of a loan does anyone know?
Original post by bondsemerson
I would just ring them up. Do you get more of a grant if you are living on the campus or is it just more of a loan does anyone know?

Just loan. The Grant is purely on household income.
Hello,
I'm changing my university course on Tuesday to Journalism. I am supposed to be starting my second year at UCLAN however, now im changing my course i will be starting year one again. I was just wondering if anyone knows how this will effect my student finance, will anything be reduced? Just i need as much of the money i was supposed to be getting as possible until i can find a job in Manchester as i have to commute to uni and pay all the bills and rent on my flat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 5585
I want to change the course on my application for student finance. It was written somewhere on the website: 'log in to your account and select ‘Make a change to your application’ from the ‘My account’ screen'. but the problem is that when I log in there is no such option.. is there any other way except for calling them? (I'm a foreigner)
so everythings been completed for a while now but im sat in limbo i guess wel wait til a level results before payments are made but i need to pay for september so i really wanna know when the money will go in?
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
so everythings been completed for a while now but im sat in limbo i guess wel wait til a level results before payments are made but i need to pay for september so i really wanna know when the money will go in?

Your money generally goes in the first week of term once you've enrolled at your uni and they've confirmed your attendance to the SLC. You will need to have additional money to cover Freshers. Check your payment schedule for your dates.
it's so stupid though cos like youre at the uni but still have problems cos its not gone in BEFORE u get there
they should really do something else where we can sort it before we get there
yes thats the tuition fees
im more talking about maintenance loan i need to pay BEFORE september ffs grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
it's so stupid though cos like youre at the uni but still have problems cos its not gone in BEFORE u get there
they should really do something else where we can sort it before we get there
yes thats the tuition fees
im more talking about maintenance loan i need to pay BEFORE september ffs grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But why would we get STUDENT loans and grants for our uni education when we're not even enrolled? And just so that you're prewarned, we'll get less in our final year as we leave in June and not August, therefore not entitled to full year.

Btw, what do you need to pay before September apart from an accommodation deposit in some cases?
(edited 12 years ago)
they want the first installment before september if i can i think
they want the first installment before september if i can i think

Don't know one uni that will ask for an accommodation instalment before you get your loan/grant. Check your uni accommodation webpage.
If they paid it before uni they would have all sorts of problems with people applying for loans and then not ever turning up at uni and walking off with the money. Which would add to administration costs in chasing these people for the money and then in turn reduce the amount of funding available to those that actually turn up.
Okay, help please :smile:

I just got an email saying they need evidence of my identity (even though I sent them my birth certificate with declaration forms) and that they have returned my birth certificate. From that, I gather that there was something wrong with the forms, and so I have to send them in again. I don't know what yet though, because they sent it to the old address, I just moved (My nan is posting them to my new address for me)

What I am wondering is, even though they have sent it back for me to redo, will they have photocopied my birth certificate, so I just have to send the forms back in? Because my passport has expired and I need a new one for ID, which involves sending off my birth certificate, and I'm worried I won't be able to send it back to SF, then to get my passport by the time uni starts, meaning I either don't have my money in time, or can't drink.

Anyone know if I can just send the forms back, once I've corrected whatever was wrong with them, without my birth certificate again? Thanks (Panicking slightly here)

xxx
Original post by QueenOfHearts93
Okay, help please :smile:

I just got an email saying they need evidence of my identity (even though I sent them my birth certificate with declaration forms) and that they have returned my birth certificate. From that, I gather that there was something wrong with the forms, and so I have to send them in again. I don't know what yet though, because they sent it to the old address, I just moved (My nan is posting them to my new address for me)

What I am wondering is, even though they have sent it back for me to redo, will they have photocopied my birth certificate, so I just have to send the forms back in? Because my passport has expired and I need a new one for ID, which involves sending off my birth certificate, and I'm worried I won't be able to send it back to SF, then to get my passport by the time uni starts, meaning I either don't have my money in time, or can't drink.

Anyone know if I can just send the forms back, once I've corrected whatever was wrong with them, without my birth certificate again? Thanks (Panicking slightly here)

xxx

No they have to be seen together, so you need to send both the birth certificate and the form in again.
Original post by flipshot
No they have to be seen together, so you need to send both the birth certificate and the form in again.

Crap. Thanks for the help anyway :smile:
Reply 5596

Crap. Thanks for the help anyway :smile:

Suggest you apply for passport first. Should take only a couple of weeks. Then you can submit passport number online and don't need to post anything to SF. Sorted well before the start of term.
Original post by alibee
Suggest you apply for passport first. Should take only a couple of weeks. Then you can submit passport number online and don't need to post anything to SF. Sorted well before the start of term.

Ahhh, clever. Hadn't thought of that... Thankyou :smile:
Reply 5598
Original post by alibee

Not always, especially if they decide you need to go for an interview at the passport office.
my application form has been approved, i've got the dates for my maintenance loan and tuition loan, but i didn't receive anything for my grant. i sent them my dad's death certificate, my mothers p60 and filled out my mothers details on the form. and yet they still haven't given me my grant date, this is the second time this has happend. i rang them twice. the first time they said i didn't give them enough evidence(surely the p60 is enough) and the second time they told me to print out a form but i forgot how to get to it.why does this have to be so complicated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending