The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Maxien78
I have just called student finance to ask them about the status of my application (my second application this year) and the bloke told me that it was not completed, that i sent my application without national insirance details, no identification, no proof of having children, no university details, no course details, and that i have ticked the boxes to say i DONT want finance for tuition fees or any of the other grants and loans, basically he's saying i sent the form with just my name and address on.

How am i gonna pay for semesters 1s tuition fees? i dont have the money.

I think the guy you spoke to at the call centre is looking on the system but not understanding what is going on

Sounds to me like they have received your PN1 application form and logged it but have not done the data input yet and that is why the guy you spoke to could not see any details.

Shame he did not have better training and could have told you that :no:

When did you send it up there?
Why did you have to apply again? Did you apply to your old LEA and they have had to delete your first application?

It will get processed and you will get your fees, you probably just have to wait a couple of weeks until they get to your application form and process it fully
when will we get income assessed?
Reply 1782
How much is the social work bursery p/a?
Reply 1783
ASCIIcipher
I think the guy you spoke to at the call centre is looking on the system but not understanding what is going on

Sounds to me like they have received your PN1 application form and logged it but have not done the data input yet and that is why the guy you spoke to could not see any details.

Shame he did not have better training and could have told you that :no:

When did you send it up there?
Why did you have to apply again? Did you apply to your old LEA and they have had to delete your first application?

It will get processed and you will get your fees, you probably just have to wait a couple of weeks until they get to your application form and process it fully

I sent my second application on the 16th of September, it took them 3 weeks to attempt to reopen my online application which failed so i sent the paper one in. I first applied months ago, the same week the online applications opened, but when i called to see if everything was ok, they told me my application had been cancelled, they didn't even bother contacting me or anything, this was 2 weeks before my course started.

This is my first time applying and i applied to Student finance England, the acknowledge that they got the applications, both of them, but they say i didn't fill them in.

Waiting is hardly an option anymore, i have 2 young children, bills, rent, books, travelling costs that all need to be paid for. Im running out of money fast, infact i am now living on some compensation i recieved for a car accident i had a few months ago. I understand that they are behind by 8 weeks but i sent my first 1 in on time, they're just incompetent, they should have left the system the way it was, it worked fine.
Reply 1784
I went into the Uni student support and asked for advice after SF customer advisor told me there was nothing about my birth certificate on the system.
The student support lady had a special staff number to ring which gets you through to someone a bit more in the know. he told her that the customer advisor i spoke to couldn't see what he could and that my birth certificate is on there and my finance will be 7-10 days. i'm not overly convinced - i find it a bit complicated to think that different levels of staff can see different things on screen so are telling us all manner of different things depending on who we speak to. Wouldn't it be more helpful if the lady i had spoken to could see that my birth certificate had been put on the system??

Nightmare. Utter nightmare.
But get your uni to ring - I thought about taking a shifty copy of that special number ...
Maxien78
I sent my second application on the 16th of September, it took them 3 weeks to attempt to reopen my online application which failed so i sent the paper one in.

This is my first time applying and i applied to Student finance England, the acknowledge that they got the applications, both of them, but they say i didn't fill them in.

I wonder why they had to delete your first application - are you sure you have never applied for funding before?

Anyways, that doesn't really matter now. If the call centre staff say that you have not filled the form in what they mean is SFE have not entered the data from your form onto the system yet so the call centre staff cannot see anything

I know that they are processing applications from beginning of September now so you should at least get your first instalment of non-means tested loan (around £1,200) in the next few weeks
ASCIIcipher
I wonder why they had to delete your first application - are you sure you have never applied for funding before?

Anyways, that doesn't really matter now. If the call centre staff say that you have not filled the form in what they mean is SFE have not entered the data from your form onto the system yet so the call centre staff cannot see anything

I know that they are processing applications from beginning of September now so you should at least get your first instalment of non-means tested loan (around £1,200) in the next few weeks

i sent mine off end of july, do you mean processing applications for the means tested, or just for non means tested? do you know where theyre up to sorting grants?
luciet2009
i sent mine off end of july, do you mean processing applications for the means tested, or just for non means tested? do you know where theyre up to sorting grants?

I meant processing late applications as means-tested.

The impression I get is that they are processing grants for people that applied on time (before end of June) and are just processing more recent applications as non-means tested and then they'll go back and start reassessing everyone as means-tested (which is creating more work for themselves)

You could be reassessed by the end of this month or it could be as late as January; I'm sorry, I really do not know

It would be nice if SFE made a proper announcement about this on their website really. Keep an eye on this page in case they do:

Student Finance England Service Updates
ASCIIcipher
I meant processing late applications as means-tested.

The impression I get is that they are processing grants for people that applied on time (before end of June) and are just processing more recent applications as non-means tested and then they'll go back and start reassessing everyone as means-tested (which is creating more work for themselves)

You could be reassessed by the end of this month or it could be as late as January; I'm sorry, I really do not know

It would be nice if SFE made a proper announcement about this on their website really. Keep an eye on this page in case they do:

Student Finance England Service Updates

well i rung, and they was like, we havent got ur dads p60 on file, either it hasnt been scanned onto our system yet or we havent recieved it.
so because i dont have another copy of the p60, weve had to send my dads last wage slip from 07-08 hoping tht will be ok =| i have literally no money =[
luciet2009
well i rung, and they was like, we havent got ur dads p60 on file, either it hasnt been scanned onto our system yet or we havent recieved it.
so because i dont have another copy of the p60, weve had to send my dads last wage slip from 07-08 hoping tht will be ok =| i have literally no money =[

Month 12 payslips are OK - they show the same relevant information as a P60

I always advise people to send stuff by recorded delivery and keep the track & trace number

That way you can use royal mail's website to confirm when it has been delivered instead of ringing up SFE to check
ASCIIcipher
Month 12 payslips are OK - they show the same relevant information as a P60

I always advise people to send stuff by recorded delivery and keep the track & trace number

That way you can use royal mail's website to confirm when it has been delivered instead of ringing up SFE to check

yeah we did but lost the reciept =| so this time were making sure! just annoyed coz theyve got my dads original p60 somewhere/have lost it!
luciet2009
yeah we did but lost the reciept =| so this time were making sure! just annoyed coz theyve got my dads original p60 somewhere/have lost it!

By the way people; Don't use royal mail! Use parcel force, ups etc.
drunkenengineer
By the way people; Don't use royal mail! Use parcel force, ups etc.

why?
Royal Mail are on strike!
AbitBatty
Royal Mail are on strike!

That's bad! Royal mail better hurry up and pay the workers! :mad:
My status has changed from approved-awaiting signiture to approved...is that right?
Mathletics
My status has changed from approved-awaiting signiture to approved...is that right?

That is absolutely right

'Approved - awaiting signature' to 'Approved' means SFE have received your online signature declaration in Glasgow and scanned it in.

Now you just need your uni to confirm your attendance to SLC and your first payment will be 'scheduled' :smile:
neo_2009
That is absolutely right

'Approved - awaiting signature' to 'Approved' means SFE have received your online signature declaration in Glasgow and scanned it in.

Now you just need your uni to confirm your attendance to SLC and your first payment will be 'scheduled' :smile:

Thank you so much! Such a reply might seem trivial but it takes a lot off my mind!

EDIT also, any idea how long this can take? Do you think I will have received this payment by this time next week?
Mathletics
Thank you so much! Such a reply might seem trivial but it takes a lot off my mind!

EDIT also, any idea how long this can take? Do you think I will have received this payment by this time next week?

Have you checked the View Payments section for any dates?
I have my final payment schedule now, but i think its incorrect. The online calculator showed more.. (Household below 25,000)

Tuition: 3225
Maintenence Loan: 3,453
Maintenence Grant: 1,786

Is this too low? I'm worried if i complain i'll be waiting another 6 months though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending