The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ClosetGinger
Thank you! It was very useful :smile: ...but we did have one last question.. why have they changed it? (the course i mean?)

Well... I love the fact that will now do land law in the second year...

I have read a little bit and it scares the pants off of me :redface:

Jason :biggrin:
Reply 41
ClosetGinger
Thank you! It was very useful :smile: ...but we did have one last question.. why have they changed it? (the course i mean?)

Land law is seen as being a harder module, while tort is seen as being easier, and is a subject that shares many similarities with contract. It makes sense to jiggle things about so as to teach tort in the first year with contract, and land in the second year with trusts. Moreover, all the Law Society exempting modules will have been taught be the end of the second year, therefore making exchange programmes with foreign unis in the third year more feasable. Seems like a good idea to me.
Reply 42
muncrun
Land law is seen as being a harder module, while tort is seen as being easier, and is a subject that shares many similarities with contract. It makes sense to jiggle things about so as to teach tort in the first year with contract, and land in the second year with trusts. Moreover, all the Law Society exempting modules will have been taught be the end of the second year, therefore making exchange programmes with foreign unis in the third year more feasable. Seems like a good idea to me.

I've always imagined Tort being harder than Land/Property - mainly because I find Contract not too difficult.

King's seems to be unique in that you don't have to do all the qualifying modules by the end of the second year. Although saying that, if you want to go abroad, you do.
Reply 43
I quite liked contract, hated tort, loved property wasn't too keen on equity and trusts.
kingslaw
I've always imagined Tort being harder than Land/Property - mainly because I find Contract not too difficult.

King's seems to be unique in that you don't have to do all the qualifying modules by the end of the second year. Although saying that, if you want to go abroad, you do.

You'd think top firms/chambers would prefer you did the qualifying modules in your second or third year, because then if you come out with a 2:1 they know you performed well in these modules, whereas if you do them in first year you can perform dismally in them, and still come out with a good degree.
Reply 45
ForeverDecember
You'd think top firms/chambers would prefer you did the qualifying modules in your second or third year, because then if you come out with a 2:1 they know you performed well in these modules, whereas if you do them in first year you can perform dismally in them, and still come out with a good degree.

There is logic to that. However, as was touched upon earlier, I'm not sure whether firms will look at your first year results anyway.

Here's hoping that they will not look at my European result - which I just know is going to be terrible :frown:
Eurgh...I detested the sheer basics of EU Law at AS Level when we simply learning how it worked...I can hardly wait to do it in detail :rolleyes:
Reply 47
kingslaw

I haven't studied it yet either (it's in the third year for us), but from what I've looked at and covered so far it does seem a lot like contract - they're both common law concepts overlaid with statutes here and there, and both are heavily case law orientated. They seem to be twinned in the same way that land and trusts formed "property law": contract and tort form a subject called "common law".
Reply 48
ForeverDecember

Sure, but the seven core modules act as building blocks to other modules that you cover in your degree. Studying company law before contract and trusts just wouldn't work, for example. Therefore it makes sense to do these core modules early to lay the foundations for some of the more advanced modules studied in the LLB.
Ahh...good point. I see the logic in the order now...
UCL

Year 1

Property I
Public I
Contract & Tort I
WLO (world legal orders)

Year 2

Property II
Public II
Contract & Tort II
Jurisprudence
Choice between Criminal/EU

Year 3

Choice between Criminal/EU
+ 4 personal choices
Reply 51
University of East London

Tort Law
Contract Law
Constitutional Law

Legal Skills and Research
Critical Approaches to Legal Materials (C.A.L.M)
Legal Institutions

Latest

Trending

Trending