The Student Room Group

Should I study computer science?

I'm thinking of studying computer science.

But I'm still not sure exactly what is studied in the course.

Can people who study this please tell me about their course and if you have any universities to recommend.

My main interest is in creating websites and databases, but I would also like to learn as much as possible about hardware, programming and other technology related things (but these are not a priority).

Is this this the right course for me?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
imperial, york and warwick i liked :smile: i chose warwick in the end though.
i think you'd like the computer science based on that stuff!
we do quite a lot of stuff with java this year, but we do databases as well, we created a website portfolio, played with assembly and C etc.. it really is fun :biggrin:
Reply 2
Clarfairy
imperial, york and warwick i liked :smile: i chose warwick in the end though.
i think you'd like the computer science based on that stuff!
we do quite a lot of stuff with java this year, but we do databases as well, we created a website portfolio, played with assembly and C etc.. it really is fun :biggrin:

OK, thanks for the advice.

I should have mentioned that my grades aren't the best so top universities are probably out for me (I did the international baccalaureate and I have 26 points but am retaking the exams in order to improve this).

I'l take a look at the unis you mentioned.
Reply 3
I Have not been to Imperial or Warick, but as you can see from my signature I have accepted York as my first choice as there course contained everything I wanted to do. The area was awesome and it just felt like the place for me. I am sure Imperial and Warick are good aswell :smile: see here for the details on the course I have accepted and I recommend you do this for all computer science courses and jsut see what you think. As Computer science cna be approached and taught in two different ways. Email the tutors aswell they usually reply quite quickly (advantages of a course with computer literate people)

Sorry I realise this is not structured well but hopefully it will be some help :biggrin:
Reply 4
You might want to look at courses like Internet Computing and its variants if you're interested in the web development side of things. I touched web dev for about 5 minutes during my CompSci degree at Manchester.
Reply 5
coniel
I'm thinking of studying computer science.

But I'm still not sure exactly what is studied in the course.

Can people who study this please tell me about their course and if you have any universities to recommend.

My main interest is in creating websites and databases, but I would also like to learn as much as possible about hardware, programming and other technology related things (but these are not a priority).

Is this this the right course for me?

Thanks a lot.

Well i'm in my last year now so... what is CS:

-is more about the algorithms than the programming codes. You'll learn the programming languages (C, Java, C++, etc) in the 1st and 2nd year, but this is only as a tool for you to express whatever algorithm that you've developed/created.

-since it's about the algorithms, you need to know (and be fluent in Mathematics(especially its terms and usage)). It'll be very helpful once you want to asses the efficiency of your algorithm hence your overall program(software)

-good news for you is that Database is an essential part of CS, but not the whole topic. It's just a sub field of it. You'll learn many other sub fields in CS as well such as Networking, Software Engineering (how to plan,develope and deliver large scale Software), etc

-again i've to stress that you need to be good in Math because after you are proficient in your programming skills(which is a must for CS students) you will go on the next stage to understand other people algorithms which is express in Mathematical formula (in Databases (since you are interested) there this thing call Relational Algebra, go check on it. It's a mathematical like statement that model a Query statements))

-Web Development...i've taken some Web Development course which is not a compulsory for us but very beneficial for the industry if you want to work as a developer.

well that's a little bit intro on CS, and it's specifically on how my Uni has thought me. Others might be different. I'm not that of a good student lol but hope it helps.

Any questions regarding it you can ask me :smile:

Best of luck!!!
Reply 6
LucidDream
You might want to look at courses like Internet Computing and its variants if you're interested in the web development side of things. I touched web dev for about 5 minutes during my CompSci degree at Manchester.

Weird.. the first year project at manchester is a web site. With also other modules coving how the web works etc

Just look on the uni sites to find out what they cover for first year. After that, most are optional any way.
Reply 7
leeming
Weird.. the first year project at manchester is a web site. With also other modules coving how the web works etc

Just look on the uni sites to find out what they cover for first year. After that, most are optional any way.

The course changed - I've already graduated.

Latest

Trending

Trending