The Student Room Group

Reverse Revision

this is an idea that though of at GCSE bt i never really used. "Reverse Revision", insted of learnin the work first time in the lesson and then revising in the lesson, u can read forward in the textbook, take notes and answer questions before the lesson, resently i started this and its amazing, im actuarty excited about lesson knowing that i understand the work, i can focus fully in lessons and make mega consist notes in lessons as i already have detialed ones, i can ask really smart questions and even spot mistakes on the board !!! what a shocked considering im dyslexic, the teacher think im mega smart and therefore will predict me high grades (all A at the momentt) and best of all is answering textbbok questions and then havin them set for homewk so i just pretent to write my homewk down on my hand. does any1 else do this ? how long have u mantained it ? will u admit it ??? that is the real question

Scroll to see replies

yeah I did this, but then I worked out that everyone else in my school did this, so i got bored and just lost all motivation for doing work before the lesson. This is what you're meant to do at Uni anyway, so doing this now should help you out in the future.
If you're going to do that, why bother going to the lessons at all and not just going over your notes at home?
I keep planning to, but, by the time I actually catch up on everything I've missed, we move onto the next topic. :tongue:
I did this at A-level but now I'm at uni and all my work ethics have vanished.
I do this some times, and the sheer joy obtained from knowing an answer that everyone else considers unknowable is incomparable
Revolution is my Name
I do this some times, and the sheer joy obtained from knowing an answer that everyone else considers unknowable is incomparable

Depending how good you are and what kind of school you go to, you could easily do that without reading ahead.
Reply 7
i have started this with my geography alevel and it is going very well. My teacher is impressed with my sheer amount of intellect lol. I cant really do the same with my other subjects as there anrent any good textbooks to use.
John Locke
Depending how good you are and what kind of school you go to, you could easily do that without reading ahead.

I think it's hard to know a specific piece of information about a subject, that you wouldn't normally come across, before you've actually studied it, surely?
Revolution is my Name
I think it's hard to know a specific piece of information about a subject, that you wouldn't normally come across, before you've actually studied it, surely?

I agree, but given some information some people can reason logical conclusions that are reasonably accurate moreso than others.

It's definitely true that to a certain extend it is enjoyable to know an answer because you've already read it though.
Reply 10
I think that;s a good idea; I find myself baffled in lesson,then I have to go home and read about the topic myself whereas if I had read beforehand the notes I was making in class would have made more sense and meant more to me especially if there is something in the textbook that has been missed out that I could have picked up on in class.
It's a good idea and I've always planned to; I can never be bothered though.
I can't do that, since I have no idea what we are going to be studying in class the next day. Especially for languages where one lesson we could be going through a textbook, the next doing some grammar work and then getting onto some speaking practise.
Yeah i've been doing this becuase i'm still in revision mode from the January exams, it makes lessons more understandable and hopefully revision easier
I always do this, it really does help, it means that when you go through it in lesson it reinforces into your mind and so in your long term memory.

Has anyone as yet, started hardcore revision for the summer exams yet?
Reply 15
I'm not the only person sad enough to do this then?
Haha, that's reassuring.

I find I can learn more in an hour on my own making notes out of a textbook than a double lesson in college anyway.
Reply 16
xxAndrewxx
I always do this, it really does help, it means that when you go through it in lesson it reinforces into your mind and so in your long term memory.

Has anyone as yet, started hardcore revision for the summer exams yet?

Well No. I'm making sure my notes are up to date, though. Also mocks do help aid the revision/up to date notes!
Reply 17
Well it's a really good thing to do if you can be motivated enough.

I may well get one lesson ahead due to this half term but then when I'm flooded with homework and assignments, I know I'll fall behind again!

Ps. Isn't this reading or studying ahead, your title of 'reverse revision' is a bit strange!
I should really start doing this, well once I actually go to bed, which I'm begining to miss now, its been so many hours
Reply 19
i dont know what my teacher will be going over in the following lesson so i cant really do that

Latest