The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alex_hk90
Perhaps, but it's "Pembroke night" so quite a few people in college are going. :smile:

Did you not recognise me today? :frown:
brimstone

I thought I did, but I'm really bad at recognising people so didn't want to risk it. Just earlier today I said hi to someone from a distance and it turned out that I had never spoken to them before. :redface:
Reply 1982
brimstone

Pfft. I walk past you all the time and you never say hi :tongue:
Reply 1983
I can see the end of term coming and it looks beauuutiful. :love:
Gesar
Pfft. I walk past you all the time and you never say hi :tongue:

And similarly you to me. :tongue:
Analysis examples sheets are getting intolerable. The questions are uninteresting and/or require too much hard work. Why can't I just take these things for granted, like I've been doing all along and will be doing after this course is over? Meh.
Reply 1986
Lidka
I can see the end of term coming and it looks beauuutiful. :love:

:ditto: The next week is going to be sooooooooooooooooooooo stressful but I don't care because then it's the end of term :biggrin:

I just know I'll end up going home and doing no work all holidays, though......
Reply 1987
I still have 4 weeks of term left including my stage 1 (4th year) exams. :frown:

But, after that, I've got 2 weeks off, an awesome SSC, and a further 3 weeks off for the summer:biggrin: That's 10 weeks of awesome.
Apagg
Scrapped? As in, you're not doing it any more and it won't count towards your degree?

Precisely. It's not worth the hassle.
Reply 1989
FadedJade
Precisely. It's not worth the hassle.

Oki doke, I assume the marks that would have been allocated to it are now split between your exams instead? I don't think we have the option to do this in Economics - seems like an easy way to lighten the workload, unless it's being replaced with another exam or something.
Reply 1990
yeh she has to do a synoptic paper instead. pags
The dissertation is optional in place of an exam. There's no way I'm gonna get it done so instead I'm going to take the exam I was going to replace it with.

edit: and I was going to get a train home to chill out for a couple of days but i wont get in till late, so instead i'm looking up wedding stuff on the internet :biggrin:
Just made a curry. :smile: Nom. And we're going to eat it while watching Top Gun :biggrin:

Also naartjie juice = :coma:
Zhen Lin
Why can't I just take these things for granted, like I've been doing all along and will be doing after this course is over?
I (briefly - the other party agreed with me pretty quickly) had this argument with someone earlier today. Although I haven't done analysis myself. But they had.
Reply 1994
Zhen Lin
Analysis examples sheets are getting intolerable. The questions are uninteresting and/or require too much hard work. Why can't I just take these things for granted, like I've been doing all along and will be doing after this course is over? Meh.

You are the same person who was calling for a treatment of div,grad,curl in terms of exterior derivatives a few weeks ago, aren't you :tongue: ?

Honestly, I thought 12 was pretty interesting, 13 seems cool as well (haven't managed it yet though), 10 is an important concept but not a hard question... I have to say, I rather like this sheet.
Zhen Lin

Is this sheet 3 or 4? They do look very inaccessible, but I didn't think they were that bad...

Edit: oh wow, three people commented on the same post (from hours ago) at the same time. :p:
Reply 1996
squeezebox
I liked analysis 3. Although question 12 was a bit sneaky, since you can't use IVT. :frown:

Did you manage to do 11 and 13? The sneakiness of 12 is balanced by the fact that there's a hint in the lecture notes :wink: .
ukebert
10 minutes is not late! Well done :p:

It was exactly 24hrs and 10mins late :frown:
And after I sent it in, and explained about going overtime with the assessed essay on the weekend and then losing two days to being sick in bed, I got treated to this reply within minutes:

Supervisor
You had 8 weeks to prepare for the paper so I don't find your excuses justifiable. It's unfair to your colleagues whom submit their papers on time and disrespectful to the supervisor. You cannot expect for your supervisors to read your essays a day before they are due. Please follow instructions next time and organize your responsabilities accordingly.
...which left me in shock and near tears. Ok no it left me in tears. After not sleeping I just wanted to sleep and not think about work and stress anymore, but no...
The supervisor wanted the essay in on Wednesday despite the supervision being on Friday. This is very abnormal for SPS, and usually I'm required to submit it in 24hrs before, or some other arbitrary point on the day before (like noon for one of my other supervisors)
So I replied to say:
me
I apologise for disrespect. You are the second supervisor in a year and a half of my degree who has asked for essays earlier than a day in advance. Also it isn't in my control that I was sick and in bed for two days. I can't really say anything other than that I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you.Which was met with:
Supervisor
For tomorrow, here's what we'll do:

1. You will explain your paper: Thesis, reasoning and conclusions
2. We will then maintain a discussion about the topic
3. Then, we will go over some of my feedback

My comments are not to intimidate you but help you improve some weaknesses before the exam. Please read my feedback before the supervision.

Again, I don't see any legitimage excuse for your to submit your paper late and every supervision works differently (I spend more time in commenting back on your papers than many other supervisors do). Also, as you will notice, I stopped reading after your 5th page (review the writing guidelines and my comments to understand why).

Finally, can we meet tomorrow at 10am instead of 2pm?

This at least confirmed indications that he's a despotic madman.
My essay was one small paragraph into a sixth page, and he arbitrarily decides not to read it.
Instead of sleeping in, which I would have, or sleeping now I am now going to try and do extra reading for the supervision because it sounds like he'll try to grill me for the sake of grilling me.
:bawling:
visesh
I still have 4 weeks of term left including my stage 1 (4th year) exams. :frown:

But, after that, I've got 2 weeks off, an awesome SSC, and a further 3 weeks off for the summer:biggrin: That's 10 weeks of awesome.
:console:
Reply 1998
FadedJade
I've managed to write a grand total of 82 words all day.

edit: posted the below before reading subsquent messages on dropping it. I'd never heard of ppl being able to do that... but anyway, clearly wishes of good luck with it are now irrelevant!

Good luck with it, seriously :smile: Next Friday...scary :eek:

I remember finally reaching the point with my dissertation that this was it, there could be no more procrastination or getting out of it, it just had to be done which was fairly stressful. Especially given that ideally of course one wants to have it done-ish far enough in advance to leave it for a week or so, drive it out of your mind, and then go back and see which bits look silly/wrong.
scarlet ibis

Also naartjie juice = :coma:

It wasn't called that, was it? :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending