The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

minimo
You should go see Eugene Onegin at West Road Concert Hall. I know it's Pushkin but it's amazinggggggggg /shameless plug

Going on Saturday :smile: All of the Russianists seem to be going at some point.
Reply 381
Zoedotdot
Going on Saturday :smile: All of the Russianists seem to be going at some point.

I will be at the programme desk, you must say hi!!!
Reply 382
smilepea

I :love: it! Is that a good enough excuse?

No excuse is needed - that show is excellent. I love to watch it while eating junkfood, don't ask me why. The irony amuses me, perhaps.
Reply 383
Zoedotdot
Tolstoi is much lovelier than Pushkin, but not suitable reading matter for past 1am nonetheless.

I can't believe you guys missed revs for work. Now I know why I suck at Russian....
Reply 384
The West Wing
SPS discussion group was a big success :smile:

Glad to hear it :biggrin:

smilepea
have the winners in your other positions been announced yet?

Yes :smile: In general they were quite good. On my floor I have junior treasurer and secretary :s-smilie: Shame about Zsi-Zsi though.

Craghyrax
Maybe it does. With me it just means I skip the post :tongue:
It was Fresher rep, right? I don't know who the guy is. I don't know many freshers...

I'm not altogether sure either, although I'm getting better with putting faces to names, names to faces and noticing faces that I do not have names to put to them.

Ah, by the way, did you go and see some Marxist talk on revolution at (I believe) the Perne club a few weeks ago?
munro90
i know what you mean but is this a real effect or do we just percieve it as so

that is does cooling of a liquid occur exponentially (the cooler it gets the faster it cools as the observation appears to suggest) or is it a direct relationship(it cools at a constant rate- somehow seems more likely)?help me someone who knows things about thermodynamics and fluids (i'm looking somewhere in your direction ukebert(cos you were the first sciency type on this thread to come to mind))

ps. i do realise how geeky and overly scientific that post was but hey i felt like it
pps. for some reason i like coffee that is entirely cold- not iced just cooled down to room temperature yum! just thought i'd share that with you all :tongue:

I'm fairly sure you can model it with an exponential curve - if you just apply Newton's law of cooling, you get dT/dt=k(TTa)dT/dt = -k(T-T_a) (where TaT_a is the ambient temperature) with the solution T(t)=Ta+(T0Ta)ektT(t) = T_a + (T_0 - T_a)e^{-kt}. Meaning it would cool faster at first, but get slower over time, which is the opposite of your hypothesis. I'm not sure whether or not a more advanced model would have significantly different predicitons.

Anyway, thanks for the multiple rep I recieved for posting the legend that is Gregg Wallace.
:macarena: The essay is dead! :cheers: Essay submission 12hrs before supervision.... I'm not looking forward to his response.
The power lead for my laptop seems to be broken. It seems to be loose at the socket. I'm not sure if the cord is at fault, or the socket in the laptop. Are laptop power cables quite compatible or are they specific to models?
I need to send my laptop in but I'm managing the loose connection until summer because my whole degree is on this computer, and one week or more without it could spell disaster for results!

ukebert

Ah, by the way, did you go and see some Marxist talk on revolution at (I believe) the Perne club a few weeks ago?

No. I lost my term card so I probably didn't realise at the time. Last week was Magnus Ryan...Error :doh: So yeh, must have been first meeting of term. How come you know of it anyway? If you ever want to go, just let me know and I'll take you as my guest.
The West Wing
sps
I'm sorry I couldn't come today. I really wanted to. I hope I'll be able to make it next week!
Where is everybody? :huff:
generalebriety
:getmecoat:

GB: If you're stropping after last night I'm going to put a naartjiecitrus-fruit-of-indeterminate-species in your pigeon hole! :poke:

fumblewomble: I forgot to tell you that being thread starter means that you have to be the top poster on the thread. Let me know if you need training...

Right - Discworld for me :woo:
Supergrunch
I'm fairly sure you can model it with an exponential curve - if you just apply Newton's law of cooling, you get dT/dt=k(TTa)dT/dt = -k(T-T_a) (where TaT_a is the ambient temperature) with the solution T(t)=Ta+(T0Ta)ektT(t) = T_a + (T_0 - T_a)e^{-kt}. Meaning it would cool faster at first, but get slower over time, which is the opposite of your hypothesis. I'm not sure whether or not a more advanced model would have significantly different predicitons.
I was going to post that I figured Newton's thing would probably be pretty much correct but a quick Wiki revealed that the approximation only really works if heat is transferred quickly enough within the thing that's cooling down (but this obviously isn't the case in liquids - if you're waiting for soup to cool down you can eat the top first while the bottom is still too hot. In my experience anyway). In conclusion, further study is desperately required in this new, exciting field which may have links to quantum information, nanotechnology and curing cancer.

Or maybe ask a (chemical?) engineer.
Reply 390
Craghyrax
No. I lost my term card so I probably didn't realise at the time. Last week was Magnus Ryan...Error :doh: So yeh, must have been first meeting of term. How come you know of it anyway? If you ever want to go, just let me know and I'll take you as my guest.
I'm sorry I couldn't come today. I really wanted to. I hope I'll be able to make it next week!

Nah, it was given by a very strange if likeable CUCB'er who was telling me about it. I wondered whether it was any good.
Reply 391
ukebert

Yes :smile: In general they were quite good. On my floor I have junior treasurer and secretary :s-smilie: Shame about Zsi-Zsi though.

did she loose by much do you know?

K.T.
No excuse is needed - that show is excellent. I love to watch it while eating junkfood, don't ask me why. The irony amuses me, perhaps.

I watched 4 episodes yesterday :ninja: so I'm now all caught up :yep: oh and I watched an episode of snog, marry, avoid :redface:

Craghyrax
2009 may enjoy their Freshers Week rather well :tongue:

... well I don't know as I say. He may do a really good job, and he may be rubbish. Lets hope it isn't the latter. Zsi Zsi can apply for the post next year.

I hope he dose a good job for the freshers, oh our first year rep has to be a first year, Zsi Zsi can always go for something else, I'm sure she'll find something she wants to do :yep:
Reply 392
smilepea
I watched 4 episodes yesterday :ninja: so I'm now all caught up :yep: oh and I watched an episode of snog, marry, avoid :redface:

Is there a new series of SMA? That show is trashalicious & I love it.
Reply 393
[Merlin, the Happy Pig] is God. He actually rules so so so much.
aAaaaargh. That is all.
Reply 395
OK wow the Girton college cat really, really hates me.
Reply 396
The girton cat is sweet as anything to me, and then my vet girl went up to it and it ran off.
Craghyrax
GB: If you're stropping after last night I'm going to put a naartjiecitrus-fruit-of-indeterminate-species in your pigeon hole! :poke:

Selwyn's internet was down from 5pm yesterday to 10am today. :frown:
And GE got pretty drunk last night :tongue:
Reply 398
FadedJade
aAaaaargh. That is all.

:hugs:
Craghyrax

fumblewomble: I forgot to tell you that being thread starter means that you have to be the top poster on the thread. Let me know if you need training...

:eek: :shh: I'm not sure that I have that much to say! :shot:

Latest

Trending

Trending