The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
FadedJade
*No boots, which is stupid because if I'm wearing a suit no one will be able to see the boots anyway as my trousers will cover it.
*knees must be covered at all times - they encourage women to wear skirt suits, but I have never ever seen a skirt suit that comes below the knee. They all finish at the knee or just above
*Elbows must be covered at all times. Errrrr....ok?
*National dress and military uniform are no longer permitted. Doesn't affect me but I know people who it does affect and who would very much want to wear their national dress.
*Jewellery is not permitted, rings cannot be worn at all. If they think I'm taking my engagement ring off they have another thing coming.
*No nail varnish. I don't wear it, but who the hell is going to be looking at my hands??

wow, it must vary between colleges! Ours is nowhere that strict and we're allowed discreet juwellry and there's no knee thing. I'm either going to wear a black taiilored dress with white cardigan over, or a black pencil skirt + blouse and with mid heels
Craghyrax

Speaking of: I just about killed myself rowing today! :eek: I think I mighthave worked out what I was doing wrong before, but I'm not counting my chickens yet. I took Scipio/FTB/Apagg's advice and tried to take it slowly and not 'collapse' my core by leaning too far forward and back. The result was that my legs had to work alot harder, and I got tireder faster. And my split went down. Hooray!

That sounds promising :smile:
Those are only the things I disagree with as well! You wouldn't be allowed a white cardigan, and only the dress if it was totally plain.
I think it's shocking that you can't wear uniform or national dress.
Does anyone want to go to the funfare with me? My car is being serviced overnight so I don't have that, but we can walk to midsummer common :suith:
Reply 5985
I can sort of see why they say no national dress...because national dresses vary considerably. I could turn up in a massively garish sari and that would be national dress and frankly it'd look odd (and not really reserved enough for graduation). Similarly I'm sure people would argue that wearing like...a fig leaf skirt constituted their national dress or something.

I'm surprised pembroke are stricter than trinity!
Reply 5986
Also I can see why uniforms might poteentially cause a fuss. What if someone turned up in full IDF regalia? I bet some people would have a problem with that.
FadedJade
*No boots, which is stupid because if I'm wearing a suit no one will be able to see the boots anyway as my trousers will cover it.
*knees must be covered at all times - they encourage women to wear skirt suits, but I have never ever seen a skirt suit that comes below the knee. They all finish at the knee or just above
*Elbows must be covered at all times. Errrrr....ok?
*National dress and military uniform are no longer permitted. Doesn't affect me but I know people who it does affect and who would very much want to wear their national dress.
*Jewellery is not permitted, rings cannot be worn at all. If they think I'm taking my engagement ring off they have another thing coming.
*No nail varnish. I don't wear it, but who the hell is going to be looking at my hands??

I expect Peterhouse's rules will be twice that long :rolleyes:
I intend to deviate as much as possible :judge:

Blegh! I'm in the library - all well and good - but I'm meant to be finding journals, which means keeping the ethernet cable connected. :headfire:
Reply 5988
I'm so glad are rules are pretty decent! We're not allowed bare legs, but I was planning on wearing stockings anyway so no issue as suhj.

I hope you keep your dreads in for grad, craggy :teeth:
Reply 5989
I am also feeling slightly positive about my diss!! hopefully my supervisor won't shoot down my hopes :colonhash:
Reply 5990
ukebert
I think it's shocking that you can't wear uniform or national dress.

Surely the idea is that everyone looks exactly the same (to a casual glance, at least)? Uniforms and national dress defeat that point rather heavily.
Coursework solidarity, min :console:
minimo

I hope you keep your dreads in for grad, craggy :teeth:

Hmm, I had them for matriculation though, so something else striking would be nice in addition. Wearing white stockings with black shoes + skirt could be fun. They can't possibly remember to write a rule for that.
You wouldn't be allowed dreads here - no "exaggerated hairstyles"

Oh and they state here that stockings must be black or nude in colour.
FadedJade
You wouldn't be allowed dreads here - no "exaggerated hairstyles"
They very obviously can't do anything about dreadlocks. Its not a 'style'. You can't wash it out. And no college is going to force a person to chop it off. Lol.
But maybe I'm wrong about Peterhouse if that's the case. They didn't utter a word at me wearing my dreads down at matriculation. Although the head porter forced me to buy an expensive white shirt :mad: (all the cheap ones in town were sold out)

FadedJade

Oh and they state here that stockings must be black or nude in colour.

Drat
Craghyrax
Coursework solidarity, min :console:

Hmm, I had them for matriculation though, so something else striking would be nice in addition. Wearing white stockings with black shoes + skirt could be fun. They can't possibly remember to write a rule for that.

I think at Robinson you had to wear black/dark socks/stockings/tights/whatever.

Edit: Too late :frown:
We aren't allowed "exaggerated colours" either. The male requirements are very straightforward, its just the women they seem to punish!
Craghyrax
They very obviously can't do anything about dreadlocks. Its not a 'style'. You can't wash it out. And no college is going to force a person to chop it off. Lol.
But maybe I'm wrong about Peterhouse if that's the case. They didn't utter a word at me wearing my dreads down at matriculation. Although the head porter forced me to buy an expensive white shirt :mad: (all the cheap ones in town were sold out)

Drat

A boy in my college last year had to cut off his dreadlocks. And a girl who had pink bits in her hair had to dye it.
Disgusting.

Oh well. If my dreadlocks are still there, they're staying. They're not noticeable tied back, and I'll have had them for all of my degree so the porters may barely notice.

So my current plan is to arrive for graduation at the very last minute, but replacing white for grey claiming to have had an 'accident' with the other attire. I love grey :awesome:
You have an attire check an hour before you graduate so you have time to change. If you aren't in the correct stuff they won't let you graduate.
FadedJade
You have an attire check an hour before you graduate so you have time to change. If you aren't in the correct stuff they won't let you graduate.

Yeh alright :shifty: *stops wasting everyone's time and gets back to work* :getmecoat:

I guess there are much more annoying things to be irritated at colleges for than that...

Btw, the Ward library has now got a display of loads of uberly old medicine texts on vellum with huge latin calligraphy and engravings and stuff, brought in from the Perne library (our special old one) to celebrate our new medic Master. Its good distraction in the library. Also this is partially for ukebert's attention :poke:

Latest

Trending

Trending