The Student Room Group
Reply 9960
Chewwy
Hello TSR,

I'm currently sitting in my £900/week apartment in London, watching tennis. I am very sweaty. If they close the roof, which they will, I'll go and have a shower.

Lots of love,

Chewwy.

£900 a week doesn't buy you air conditioning? For shame!
Reply 9961
generalebriety
Care to elaborate?

I think it's maybe because you're quite straight to the point and matter-of-fact-ly (well maybe)
generalebriety
Care to elaborate?

In that particular case, "I don't know what you were expecting" had the rhetorical effect of: "you really ought to have expected this might have been a possibility and not to be acting upset." Added to the fact that there isn't any tone of voice or facial expression on the internet, things can get misinterpreted.
Reply 9963
Also: nearly time for a new thread :eek:

Who gets the dubious honour of starting the next one?
Reply 9964
Craghyrax
A friend gave me a really nice cupcake from a bakery and I went and left it on the checkout when I packed shopping into my bag at Sainsburys :s-smilie: Oops...

You probably made the shop assistant happy then. :p:

generalebriety
:confused:

I wasn't stopping you complaining, I was attempting to give you advice and/or sympathy.

I do wonder what the hell it is that makes everyone think I'm snapping at them when I'm actually trying to be nice to them, this seems to be a recurring theme...

Starting off your reply with a rhetorical question probably gave the impression of a sterner tone than you meant. It might be just because your sympathy tends to take the form of logical reasons why one shouldn't worry, rather than, say 'Aw, hope you feel better soon,' which is what people normal expect of sympathy. (I prefer your version though - it's more constructive. :ninja:)
Reply 9965
Tennis time!!!
Craghyrax
In that particular case, "I don't know what you were expecting" had the rhetorical effect of: "you really ought to have expected this might have been a possibility and not to be acting upset."

I'd have thought that this was precisely the case where it wouldn't be interpreted as that. I was responding to "this Cambridge thing is a lark, isn't it :rolleyes:" with words to the effect of "no, it's bloody hard work, but don't worry, we all go through it, I went through it myself this year". What the ****.

Tom, if you could stop making rude remarks then deleting your posts, that'd be lovely. I refresh this page more often than is healthy and will more than likely see them regardless of whether Craggy quotes you or not.
Lidka
It might be just because your sympathy tends to take the form of logical reasons why one shouldn't worry, rather than, say 'Aw, hope you feel better soon,' which is what people normal expect of sympathy. (I prefer your version though - it's more constructive. :ninja:)

I'm a mathmo and an autist. People shouldn't expect words to be my forté. :p:
Lidka
You probably made the shop assistant happy then. :p:

I hope so :smile:
Reply 9969
generalebriety
I'm a mathmo and an autist. People shouldn't expect words to be my forté. :p:

Well, quite-- it's a miracle that you can write at all, to be honest. :wink:
:rofl:
Tom

Who gets the dubious honour of starting the next one?
:hubba:
Reply 9971
*fills 4 more posts*

edit: I can't count. That would be 6 more :s-smilie:
Reply 9972
I was gonna say, don't you mean 6?

In other news, Regina Spektor's new album is pretty good. :smile:
I think a new fresher should start the next one :smile:
Reply 9974
Oooh, the tension... who's gonna get there first? :p:
leala4628
I think a new fresher should start the next one :smile:

Nice try :rolleyes:

But we're not putting Camchat on pause until October arrives.
It's very difficult to explain. But for example in your last post, your opening sentence was:

generalebriety
No offence, but what do you expect?

Even though you say 'no offense', this comes across in a slightly aggressive way and because this is the first sentence, it sets the tone for the whole of your post. Now actually when we read your post it's reassuring and you say stuff like not to worry and give your own experience etc. But the tone of the first sentence can determine how the reader perceives the whole post.

Gotta go and be places but I'm happy to continue this conversation another time if it's useful. Feel free to ignore me if it's not :p:
Reply 9977
Craghyrax
Nice try :rolleyes:

But we're not putting Camchat on pause until October arrives.

Ha. :biggrin:
Last post *hopes* :yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending