The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh how fast bullcrap doth spread!

Oxbridge don't want A*s for 2010 entry, and probably won't for 2011 entry either. They don't know how they're going to represent intelligence and have both officially published their stance on them.

Other unis might want one A*, but they probably won't. No unis are going to start giving out A*A*A* offers, or even A*A*A offers...
Reply 21
CHEM1STRY
Perhaps it's another view, I don't agree with what he is saying. :s-smilie:

Why not?:confused: He actually went to the trouble of asking the people who make those decisions, i.e. the people who should know best. Why would they lie to him?
Reply 22
Swayum
Not true - Imperial is for engineering apparently (I say "apparently" because that's what some TSRians said).

Yupp - computing wants A*AA for 2010 entry.

It's on their website so I guess it's pretty certain.
hobnob
Why not?:confused: He actually went to the trouble of asking the people who make those decisions, i.e. the people who should know best. Why would they lie to him?

Because he's saying A*s aren't really changing much. I thought it was obvious ?
CHEM1STRY
But there is no doubt that A*s are going to help assimilate the candidates.

How? If a uni doesn't make offers with an A* grade then how can it? As long as they meet the offer everything's sorted.
CHEM1STRY
Because he's saying A*s aren't really changing much. I thought it was obvious ?

Not for the next two years he said.
addylad
How? If a uni doesn't make offers with an A* grade then how can it? As long as they meet the offer everything's sorted.

They will do, particularly for medicine.
CHEM1STRY

This is why hobnob was surprised, because Derek_the_Sheep has already said that Oxford's policy is to take no account of A*s. What is your source?

I don't see the point of making A* offers anyway, an A is excellent and the interview counts for a lot, as well as other criteria. I don't think it will count for much, and the A* will probably be quite rare.
Reply 28
CHEM1STRY

What year are you in?
CHEM1STRY

I bet you're not at uni. :wink:
Apparently, Birmingham may be giving out A* offers. However, I'm not sure, it's just what I heard.
CHEM1STRY

You are clearly speculating on what you think they might do, and certainly aren't taking account of the other mechanisms (e.g. BMAT, interview) they use to discriminate between candidates. When compared to what the universities themselves have said, this speculation is worthless.
Reply 32
*Liana*
Not every school offers the AEA... my school didn't seem remotely interested in putting people in for it. I guess if I really wanted to do it I could have asked to be entered, but while it's not routinely offered by all schools/sixth forms I would guess they'd try to avoid making offers based on it in case they deter applicants.

Yeah which is why with the A* everyone has a chance.
Reply 33
On UCL's website, it said it is going to be asking for 1A* in courses whose entry requirements are already AAA, which medicine isn't, weirdly.
CHEM1STRY

Definitely. Especially the universities currently offering ABB/AAB.
lola1993
On UCL's website, it said it is going to be asking for 1A* in courses whose entry requirements are already AAA, which medicine isn't, weirdly.

:no: By 2010 it will be

Edit: To clarify, UCL Medicine 2010 entry will have an offer of AAA, sorry I know I could've been clearer :redface:. Is that what you were quoting for Good Bloke?
Reply 36
By 2010 it will be

Edit: To clarify, UCL Medicine 2010 entry will have an offer of AAA, sorry I know I could've been clearer .

Uh oh, guess I won't be able to go to UCL. :frown: God dammit lol!
Alex L
:no: By 2010 it will be

Edit: To clarify, UCL Medicine 2010 entry will have an offer of AAA, sorry I know I could've been clearer :redface:. Is that what you were quoting for Good Bloke?

Yes. I was puzzled about your amazing change of mind since the beginning of the thread, and thought you were converted by Chem1stry's speculation. Then I realised you were supporting the (off-topic) idea that UCL would go to AAA for medicine.
Good bloke
Yes. I was puzzled about your amazing change of mind since the beginning of the thread, and thought you were converted by Chem1stry's speculation. Then I realised you were supporting the (off-topic) idea that UCL would go to AAA for medicine.

Sorry about that then, and my response to Chem1stry was pure sarcasm. I was wondering something else, but I won't derail the thread any more than it already has been :tongue:
CHEM1STRY
But there is no doubt that A*s are going to help assimilate the candidates.

Try looking up "assimilate" in a dictionary.

Also you're wrong. Read my post again... carefully this time; it is based on what the admissions team themselves say, not just on unfounded assertion. "No doubt", my Aunt Fanny's left buttock. :rolleyes: .

DtS

Latest

Trending

Trending