The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by indifferencepersonified
I am indeed that medic who already posted :wink:

Ah, how did that come about then with the change in subject? Natural sciences looks like a really diverse course, I wouldn't have minded doing that.

I'm not sure what you natsci's are going to get, the majority of my stuff was pertaining to ethics and code of conduct - you guys just have to abide by the law :tongue:

I was so shocked when I got an offer to begin with, I made sure that there was no chance of me missing it! I'd never even considered Cambridge until late on in my AS year.

Have you read the rule about a room with more than 12 people being a party and thus needing tutorial permission. Which goes down to 5 people if music is played. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't broken that rule...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I've heard that Christ's food is bad (see here) but how is it for one's everyday life. I mean do you just put up with it or do you just cook your own food out of necessity? What are the cooking facilities like?
Original post by ben-smith
I've heard that Christ's food is bad (see here) but how is it for one's everyday life. I mean do you just put up with it or do you just cook your own food out of necessity? What are the cooking facilities like?

It's not great, to put it bluntly. It probably depends what you're used to eating. I'm not used to particularly fancy food and I'm not a picky eater in terms of quality so I've never gone hungry or not been able to finish a meal there. But I have quite a few friends who often can't face the prospect or cover it in copious amounts of ketchup.

Most people just put up with it. The thing is, it's relatively cheap and it saves time. it also gives you time to catch up with friends if you've been locked away working all day and is a nice bonding experience. Especially when you all decide you've had enough and go to Yippee Noodles round the back.

Some people do self-cater but you only have two hobs and, mostly, a microwave so bear that in mind. People who live in the Houses are more likely to self-cater.
Original post by Lyam
Hello, my pretties.

Well you sound a little bit like a pretentious ****er but i love you anyway
Reply 984
Original post by oliviaoates
Well you sound a little bit like a pretentious ****er but i love you anyway

Oh, that's not very nice. I'm not sure I like you very much, but I shall do you a favour:

'Well, you sound like a pretentious little ****er, but I love you anyway.'*

:biggrin: Thank me later, Olivia.
Original post by gethsemane342
Have you read the rule about a room with more than 12 people being a party and thus needing tutorial permission. Which goes down to 5 people if music is played. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't broken that rule...

I heard about it from someone I know already at Christ's, but the things we were sent were specific to medicine, not Christ's. It sounds like a thoroughly useless rule :tongue:
Reply 986
I am indeed that medic who already posted :wink:
Ah, how did that come about then with the change in subject? Natural sciences looks like a really diverse course, I wouldn't have minded doing that.
I'm not sure what you natsci's are going to get, the majority of my stuff was pertaining to ethics and code of conduct - you guys just have to abide by the law :tongue:
I was so shocked when I got an offer to begin with, I made sure that there was no chance of me missing it! I'd never even considered Cambridge until late on in my AS year.

Bwahaha. In that case, I know your name :ninjagirl:
No, I'm not a stalker, don't worry - I was only joking :P

A bit about Chemical Engineering at Cambridge.
Well I didn't change course. If you want to apply for Chemical Engineering at Cam, you apply either "via" Natural Science or "via" Engineering which means taht in Frist year, you study either NatSci or Engineering (I chose Natural Sciences). Then in the second year, you can choose to continue with your part 1A course or move to Chem Eng in the second year :smile:
Natural Sciences is AWESOME! I'm so glad I'm doing it :biggrin: There's so much choice! :cool:

Oh, we'll probably not get any letters that are half as interesting as your code of conduct :sigh:
It'll be much less glamorous - reading lists and possibly an options form too.

Don't worry, I was the same too! I was still thinking about various courses last summer - mostly science related but I even considered doing Music, Maths and Medicine at one stage in the summer.
I'm so glad I chose the courses that I did :smile:
Then when I got the offer, I just couldn't believe it - it was so surreal. It's just one of those things you hear of all your life and I never thought it could be me :smile:
(end of corny rubbish here) :P
Reply 987
Original post by ben-smith

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU!

Oh why, Thank you :smile:
It could be you, you never know! :biggrin:

I thought that all colleges had a rule along those lines - or was it just Christ's?

Can you even fit 12 people into a room? xD

Checklist of stuff to do at Christ's:
Number 1. Break the no more than 12 people in a room rule (or 5 people with music.)
Original post by kpatb
I thought that all colleges had a rule along those lines - or was it just Christ's?

Can you even fit 12 people into a room? xD

Checklist of stuff to do at Christ's:
Number 1. Break the no more than 12 people in a room rule (or 5 people with music.)

Haven't the foggiest.

You probably can. Not into a New Court Room but rooms in W, Y or even some in Z, it would be possible. My room in first year was huge and there were 8 places to sit: 3 chairs, a window seat with 3 spaces, bed could sit about 2 people. You could probably squash a couple more onto the window seat. Then you had floor space to fill. That room could probably have held about 20 people...
Reply 989
Haven't the foggiest.

You probably can. Not into a New Court Room but rooms in W, Y or even some in Z, it would be possible. My room in first year was huge and there were 8 places to sit: 3 chairs, a window seat with 3 spaces, bed could sit about 2 people. You could probably squash a couple more onto the window seat. Then you had floor space to fill. That room could probably have held about 20 people...

:laugh: that sounds fun, like a challenge to see how many people you can get in the room!
Reply 990
Original post by Groat
I remember thinking this when I went to the open day. My sister's room could barely fit my family of five in Sussex, yet a room at Christ's could easily fit a tour group of fifteen. :colondollar:

:eek: Wish I could have seen for myself :sad:
Reply 991
Original post by Groat
Did you not get a chance to see the rooms?

Also, I did really like Christ's idea of renting out the rooms for a tiny percentage over holidays so you don't have move any of your stuff!

I can't go to any open days.:frown:
Reply 992
Original post by Groat
Have you used UnionView? I'm not sure how good it'll be for individual colleges, but it's excellent for universities you cannot visit. :u:

Are you applying to Christ's btw? I don't recall you making a decision.
Reply 993
Original post by Groat
I've decided to go with Emmanuel, but it was a very close call. :colondollar:

Cool. I found myself looking at a few others but always came back to Christ's.
Original post by kpatb
Bwahaha. In that case, I know your name :ninjagirl:
No, I'm not a stalker, don't worry - I was only joking :P

A bit about Chemical Engineering at Cambridge.
Well I didn't change course. If you want to apply for Chemical Engineering at Cam, you apply either "via" Natural Science or "via" Engineering which means taht in Frist year, you study either NatSci or Engineering (I chose Natural Sciences). Then in the second year, you can choose to continue with your part 1A course or move to Chem Eng in the second year :smile:
Natural Sciences is AWESOME! I'm so glad I'm doing it :biggrin: There's so much choice! :cool:

Oh, we'll probably not get any letters that are half as interesting as your code of conduct :sigh:
It'll be much less glamorous - reading lists and possibly an options form too.

Don't worry, I was the same too! I was still thinking about various courses last summer - mostly science related but I even considered doing Music, Maths and Medicine at one stage in the summer.
I'm so glad I chose the courses that I did :smile:
Then when I got the offer, I just couldn't believe it - it was so surreal. It's just one of those things you hear of all your life and I never thought it could be me :smile:
(end of corny rubbish here) :P

Haha :tongue: I'm afraid I haven't managed to work out who you are!

Yes, the choices did seem vast - unfortunately with medicine you pretty have to learn everything, but hey it'll be fun.

The code of conduct is basically a pink covered threat, it should just say - be good or leave! with a guy maniacally laughing on the front.

It might be corny, but I get the feeling that most of us felt the same way when we got our offers; although unlike you I hadn't considered Cambridge until my AS year, but then I visited and there was nowhere else for me :biggrin:
Original post by cz100
:laugh: that sounds fun, like a challenge to see how many people you can get in the room!

The best is getting people into college's smallest and worst room (V7b). We have proven it possible to fit 9 people into it. Admittedly, 4 of us had to stand up in order to achieve it and to move more than 1 step invloved an interesting shuffle with the next person along.
Reply 996
The best is getting people into college's smallest and worst room (V7b). We have proven it possible to fit 9 people into it. Admittedly, 4 of us had to stand up in order to achieve it and to move more than 1 step invloved an interesting shuffle with the next person along.

http://www.thejcr.co.uk/rooms/stair.php?stair=v
So is the photograph of V7b taken from the doorway? If so, fitting 9 people in there must have been... interesting :tongue:.
Reply 997
Haha :tongue: I'm afraid I haven't managed to work out who you are!

Yes, the choices did seem vast - unfortunately with medicine you pretty have to learn everything, but hey it'll be fun.

The code of conduct is basically a pink covered threat, it should just say - be good or leave! with a guy maniacally laughing on the front.

It might be corny, but I get the feeling that most of us felt the same way when we got our offers; although unlike you I hadn't considered Cambridge until my AS year, but then I visited and there was nowhere else for me :biggrin:

It's okay, you're not missing out on much xD

Well that's the truth with doctors, but you'll have a great job with good pay :smile: Did you always know you wanted to be a doctor?

Oh I was the same, I wasnt sure I was ever applying until I got my AS grades actually. That's when I considered it!

Agreed, when I visited I felt like I couldn't go anywhere else. I had gone to visit Manchester Uni just after I went for my interview... talk about anticlimatic. :P

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? :eek:
Actually... did some of you stand on the bed? then you could probably fit in an extra 3 people. Oh my god, I must see this formyself,
Original post by Ray_Han
http://www.thejcr.co.uk/rooms/stair.php?stair=v
So is the photograph of V7b taken from the doorway? If so, fitting 9 people in there must have been... interesting :tongue:.

We are going to meet up at Christ's and find a bunch of people and are going to try to fit 9+ people into V7b.
Just saying.
Reply 998
Original post by Groat
I remember thinking this when I went to the open day. My sister's room could barely fit my family of five in Sussex, yet a room at Christ's could easily fit a tour group of fifteen. :colondollar:

Original post by Groat
I've decided to go with Emmanuel, but it was a very close call. :colondollar:

And that, sire, is why you should have applied to Christ's.
We may not have ducks, but can fit 9 people into a room the size of a cupboard. :colone:
I´m going to visit Cambridge next week :biggrin:
It´s an open day of Fitz college, so I can get accomodation there.
But in fact it`s more about having a look around Christ`s ;-)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending