The Student Room Group

Original Volunteers!

Has anyone here volunteered with them/planning to?

I'm looking at volunteering with them, but as I know know what they tell you on the website I'd like to check a couple of things!

Firstly, safety is going to be a big priority for me because I'll be travelling alone and it will be my first time, so I'd just like to know that we're "looked after" in the sense that we're not just left, and there's someone either around or we can contact.

Also, I really want to travel a little either during/preferably after the volunteer placement, but I wouldn't want to go on my own. Are most volunteers also looking to travel? It says that most are, but is it just a case if getting there and seeing if they actually are? Or maybe you can contact the other volunteers before you go and organise something?

And anything you can think would be useful to know! Whether the placements actually make a difference, general age of other volunteers, how difficult the work is, whether you'd reccomend it?

thank you!!
Reply 1
Aye, im quite interested in this. It seems too good to be true kina thing! which one do u want to do?
It says down the right hand side when you click on an oppertunity, local support with a tick. Whether or not this is for all of them i don't know.

I'm pretty interested in this too but i find the pricing a bit confusing.

EDIT: I see the pricing now :biggrin:
Brightonion
Aye, im quite interested in this. It seems too good to be true kina thing! which one do u want to do?

India and Thailand definitely! The Nepal programme also looks quite interesting, as does the South African one. But flights etc. could get very pricey very quickly...especially considering I'll really want to travel around a little bit whilst I'm out there.
What about you?
Reply 4
Thailand, Hondorus, South Africa and Morroco. Hehe, I dont know really. I like the idea of it, but i also just want to travel. Im not really sure where to start with travelling round, and not volunteering etc
ooh, Morroco looks interesting...
same - but my friends and I have all such massively different interests, so our plans don't really overlap at all, and I don't particularly fancy going on my own...
But I guess it's a bit of a blessing in disguise, as with volunteering you're really going to be a part of the community and so you're going to get a much better idea of the country/culture. It's just a bit of a gamble as to whether there are other volunteers there interested in also doing the typical travel stuff afterwards with you...
Reply 6
The South American ones look intriguing, but there's probably some horrible catch.
I think this looks really cool too..but it seems to good to be true, surely theres some downside? I think the Ecudaor, South Africa, Hondoras & India one's sound good. Kenya/Ghana seems quite interesting too...!

If anyone finds any more information please post, i'm really intrested in this :smile:
Reply 8
how can it be so cheap... something just doesn't seem right... although if its for real i'm loving the kenya/ghana options

Latest