The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lady Venom
Bearing in mind that if you have a radio and you lose it on ex, your insurance will cover you (most likely). That's one of the reasons why they ask you to get kit insurance. UAS get different kit.... if anything it's worth more. And the UAS doesn't just get the 'occasional' flight.....!!

If you lose any of the combat kit on a weekend you don't have to pay for it, it's only the stuff that you take home that you're 100% responsable for.

And I'm not saying that the UAS kit is worse (even though you don't get any combat kit...), I'm just saying that you never get to use it.

I'm guessing you're in the UAS, so tell me: Apart from sports and flying, what have you done with the UAS this year?

I've learnt how to use, strip and maintain the SA-80, learnt all the basic BCD (first aid stuff), radio comunication, day and night navigation, patroling, shooting, drill, camouflage & concealment, we've done a quick Observing course, and we've done all sorts of attacking excersises: from firing manouvers to creeping up to a sniper position (in which I dragged myself through a freezing river for half an hour, only to be caught as soon as I popped my head over the bank).
I also could've done the engineering weekend (learning how to put bridges together, and learning all about the engineering tanks), I've missed about three good "enemy" weekends, where we play enemy for the regular army (and get payed for it), and countless other optional weekends, basically because of how demanding my course and my boxing club are.
On top of this there are all the sport teams, fitness training, and most importantly: all of the social events (the best I've ever seen).

The comradship is inmense! I love my platoon to bits... the lad's are just excellent.

So please, go ahead and compare that to the UAS... I fancy a laugh.

Mithra: one tip about kit. When you get it issued; helmet, trausers... whatever... make sure it fits properly, that you feel good and that you look good in it. If you just try to get it over with quickly, and run off as soon as you get your kit, you'll get stuck with a ***** helmet, small trousers, or boots that hurt when you're marching for three years, and that's just ********.
Mithra
UAS get better kit? :zomg:

No - UAS get different kit.

C_B_C - I'd not expect UAS to do the same as OTC in the same way I'd not expect an RAF Officer to have the same training as an Army Officer. UAS are changing to be more inclusive to the non-flying Branches - but not really worth waving your willy about - they are different creatures reflecting the different focus and needs of the parent Service. I'm sure if they needed webbing etc they could loan it - much the same way the regulars do.
Mithra
UAS get better kit? :zomg:

Tongue in cheek, flying kit is better than greens :wink:

C_B_C,

I would tell you what I did on my UAS but I'd be here all day.... so I won't bother :rolleyes:
For a better indicator of which military sponsored student drinking club is better, ask Lady Venom where she is currently...
Reply 44
Lady Venom, where are you currently? :angel:
Reply 45
C_B_C
Liverpool all the way... we beat the cr*p out of your OTC at the engineering weekend, by the way.

How many people at your unit, more or less?

Well done. Can't reeeeally say I'm bothered about engineers or any of those other random competitions, I've only been on one and silly DTUS won nearly everything therea anyway.

Intake into Athlone (1st year) is 200-250 (depending upon what the CO wants) but retension isn't amazing - in my year 204 joined and 120ish passed out of Athlone Company and about 70 (I think) finished B company. This year we took 250 into Athlone and about I think about 160 passed out but I'm not too sure exactly.

Yes we are big and yes it does mean we are cooler. Fact.

And UAS - if you are going to wear greens please learn how to iron them at least.
Trirarien
Well done. Can't reeeeally say I'm bothered about engineers or any of those other random competitions, I've only been on one and silly DTUS won nearly everything therea anyway.

Intake into Athlone (1st year) is 200-250 (depending upon what the CO wants) but retension isn't amazing - in my year 204 joined and 120ish passed out of Athlone Company and about 70 (I think) finished B company. This year we took 250 into Athlone and about I think about 160 passed out but I'm not too sure exactly.

And UAS - if you are going to wear greens please learn how to iron them at least.

One wears green dear, not greens.

Only prepubescent cadet wannabes and septics call them 'greens'

Only thing you should iron is the shirt (or jacket, combat, lightweight if you want to be anal), and iron that once right and you'll never need to do it again.

If you want to see FiveFiveSix cry, just walk around wearing ironed trousers/smocks.
Reply 47
FiveFiveSix
One wears green dear, not greens.

Only prepubescent cadet wannabes and septics call them 'greens'

Only thing you should iron is the shirt (or jacket, combat, lightweight if you want to be anal), and iron that once right and you'll never need to do it again.

If you want to see FiveFiveSix cry, just walk around wearing ironed trousers/smocks.

Well hello Mr Pedantic. Yes I mean their shirts and yes you would have cried if you had seen them.
Trirarien
Well hello Mr Pedantic. Yes I mean their shirts and yes you would have cried if you had seen them.

Hey, I'm all for pedantry, but if you want to sound like a cadet wannabe or a septic and instantly mark yourself out as such, feel free to crack on...

OTC types make me cry for a variety of different reasons. Hair cuts are a good one too.
FiveFiveSix
if you want to sound like a cadet wannabe or a septic and instantly mark yourself out as such, feel free to crack on...

Is that the pecking order for gobby TA then? The shame of it. If only you were more like the TA unit I've been working with - no attitude, just professionalism.
ProStacker
Is that the pecking order for gobby TA then? The shame of it. If only you were more like the TA unit I've been working with - no attitude, just professionalism.

Edited because I'm not going to sink to your level.
Reply 51
ProStacker

C_B_C - I'd not expect UAS to do the same as OTC in the same way I'd not expect an RAF Officer to have the same training as an Army Officer.

I'm not saying that the UAS is similar to the OTC, I'm saying that the OTC is better.

Lady Venom

I would tell you what I did on my UAS but I'd be here all day.... so I won't bother

Go on then... or is it just an excuse to give you another day to come up with something?

Trirarien

I'll give you that one about the Unit's size:

160 intake first year at Liverpool OTC.

But I guess we're just elite then :P
C_B_C
I'm not saying that the UAS is similar to the OTC, I'm saying that the OTC is better.

Better for you - not better for the wannabe pilot. They are different to suit their target audiences. I'm saying you can't compare them as they are so different and appeal to different people.
Reply 53
C_B_C

Go on then... or is it just an excuse to give you another day to come up with something?

I'll give you that one about the Unit's size:

160 intake first year at Liverpool OTC.

But I guess we're just elite then :P

C_B_C. Didn't you try to get into a UAS and got into the UOTC instead? I'm sure I remember you wanting to be an RAF pilot?

Either way its all abit pathetic this. The UAS and UOTC are different but both are extremly good organistations for future officers in the forces.

Don't know if this is banter or are you being serious? You sound a bit like you think you've "been there and done it all" - your in the UOTC which is part of the TA that isn't eligible for deployment, not a Captain with 27 years experience in the SAS.

C_B_C
I've learnt how to use, strip and maintain the SA-80 So have 13 year old cadets), learnt all the basic BCD (first aid stuff), radio comunication (Bowman?), day and night navigation, patroling, shooting, drill, camouflage & concealment (we've all seen the hour long lesson of how to stuff the wrong colour grass in your webbing), we've done a quick Observing course, and we've done all sorts of attacking excersises: from firing manouvers to creeping up to a sniper position (in which I dragged myself through a freezing river for half an hour, only to be caught as soon as I popped my head over the bank)....(Sounds tough).
I also could've done the engineering weekend (learning how to put bridges together, and learning all about the engineering tanks), I've missed about three good "enemy" weekends, where we play enemy for the regular army (and get payed for it), ....(you missed out "and got slaughtered" from the OTC guys playing enemy I've seenand countless other optional weekends, basically because of how demanding my course and my boxing club are.
On top of this there are all the sport teams, fitness training, and most importantly: all of the social events (the best I've ever seen).

:eek3:
Reply 54
rickynufc
Some of the comments on here are a joke. My unit is better than yours etc. Grow up FFS.

Beat me 2 it.
Q_M
Beat me 2 it.

Be careful chum, or you'll get called nasty names by ProStacker too...
Reply 56
FiveFiveSix
Be careful chum, or you'll get called nasty names by ProStacker too...

The thought of it makes me cry at night.

p.s. loving the Nitrox in your profile.
Q_M
The thought of it makes me cry at night.

p.s. loving the Nitrox in your profile.

I know, I've been inconsolable ever since the nasty man was mean to me...

Oh yeah! Tec diving FTW :biggrin:

Sadly, I haven't dived in 6 months. Serious withdrawal!
Reply 58
rickynufc
Some of the comments on here are a joke. My unit is better than yours etc. Grow up FFS.

Just taking the piss mate... I wouldn't care if the OTC being better than the UAS.

One of my best mates is in the UAS anyway, living with him next year.

Q_M

C_B_C. Didn't you try to get into a UAS and got into the UOTC instead? I'm sure I remember you wanting to be an RAF pilot?

Either way its all abit pathetic this. The UAS and UOTC are different but both are extremly good organistations for future officers in the forces.

Don't know if this is banter or are you being serious? You sound a bit like you think you've "been there and done it all" - your in the UOTC which is part of the TA that isn't eligible for deployment, not a Captain with 27 years experience in the SAS.

I got rejected by the UAS for residency problems, so it wasn't exactly my fault. In spite of joking around, I am actually glad I ended up in the OTC.
And nah, I never had my mind made about the RAF or Army... tonnes of time to decide though.

I'm not taking this serious mate. Your last comment is a bit stupid though: everyone knows that the OTC is better than the SAS.
Reply 59
So what you up to now Q_M? Last time I heard from you you were thinking of joining the TA.

Latest