The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if its a rave, glow sticks, no one care what you are wearing they will be to druged up or drug to care
Just bop up and down at roughly 180 beats per minute.
Wear what you want. Fluorescent stuff is pretty common though.
Dance how you want to dance...You don't need to follow the crowd. (:
Reply 4
I have been to dozens of dnb events so I think I'm quite well poised to answer this!

The whole ethos behind a dnb event is that it is all about the music. Therefore, there is no dresscode and you should wear what you feel comfortable with. Glowsticks might be taking it too far, unless it's a massive event, say in SE1 in london or something. Most lads wear jeans, maybe combats, a t-shirt, maybe a hoody, and most girls wear similar. It would be very rare to see a girl wearing a shirt or shoes, or a girl really dressed up (depending on the event/clientele of course). Although girls might wear a nice top etc. In general, just go casual. Wear what you feel comforatable with. And that means trainers really, or at least not heals, else you won't be able to dance.

As for the dancing, people just do whatever. Really. That's the beauty of it, no one hoenstly gives a ****. Make your own move up! People just generally bop to the music, and go nuts when a track comes on they particularly like. Copy your mates, or if you're not sure just nod your head.

Be prepared to get pushed past, depending on how busy it is. The toilets will likely be grimey. Towards the end of the night, if a lot of people ahve been taking drugs, you might see some messy people. Don't worry about that, they generally don't mean no harm.

Lastly, enjoy. The feeling of dnb in a club is awesome. It was meant to be played loud with lots of bass to shake your body. You might just get hooked.
It's more fun to dance to than a lot of music.
ticos
Im going to my first dnb rave and need some help. What kind of stuff do people wear, and how do they dance to drum n bass music. Im really nervous just because the friends im going with love this sort of music and I'm scared of looking really stupid.

what event is it? dont wear anything you particularly care about, people will spill drinks etc, you'll get so hot you wont want much more than a tshirt, infact most people will be either topless or just wearing a fluorescent vest thing

id say take earplugs, seriously, these things go on from like 10pm to 5am, so longer than usual exposure to serious amounts of noise, your ears will ring without them!

as for dancing, people dont really dance to drum and bass, more like jump up and down hands in the air (usually doing 'the gun') just do what you feel like, its a totally different experience than a regular lame club night

oh and dont be suprised if loads of people ask if you want any pills, there not selling paracetamol :wink:

drink loads of water as you'll sweat buckets, if you dont you'll be really drunk and dehydrated and die half way through

dont take loads of stuff with you, you'll just lose it or it'll be robbed

most importantly have a great time, drum and bass nights are clearly better than any other :biggrin:
Wear: What ever you want
Dance: Like nobody is watching
Party: Like it's 1999
Enjoy: The drink or drug of your choice
Take: As little as humanly possible
Reply 8
don't worry too much about it, no one at these things tends to give a **** what you look like or how you dance.

be prepared to be knocked around on the dancefloor by pretty much everyone, just deal with it, it happens.
and you will meet a lot of people off their tits on pills, don't worry about them, they are harmless and generally pretty funny
Reply 9
robinson999
if its a rave, glow sticks, no one care what you are wearing they will be to druged up or drug to care

no glowsticks! they are the ultimate rave cliché, drum and bass is more underground and scary...

if its dubstep and drum n bass it should be a sweet night.. but true.. a lot of people are on narcotics, bring lots and lots of water!

dont worry OP.. people are less self conscious at a rave or dnb night than they are at mainstream clubs cos its about the music.. not how you look! but bar in mind the bass will be so loud you can feel it move instide you aha

have fun
Reply 10
Reflexive
If you happen to do this, drink a few pints of water throughout the night, but not too much as that's just as dangerous as not drinking any/enough.

drink plenty of water though

ahah its so funny when you have a bottle of water that half full and there weird gurning people come up to you and smile and point at the water and wink. yes.. stranger, you can have some water....:s-smilie:

and then they mouth to you 'MACHETE' 'WHERES MY MONEY??' or ''YOUR CHATTING RUBBISH....'' and they go out of the room for a cigarette.. lol
Don't worry how you dance, all dancing is accepted in dnb/raves.

Fluroescent stuff is great for this sort of thing; glowsticks, uv paint, if you're a girl there's a lot in uv skirts, uv fishnet tights or the fishnet on their arms, etc. Crazy hats, shirts with captions, pictures, swirly patterns, etc - You'll never see such a huge variety of dressing and people, it's different to clubbing and way more fun. You'll also find people are more friendly, more chatty, less sleazy, less fighting (I've never seen a fight at a rave). Don't be scared if a pilled up person comes and says hi and throws their arm around you, everyones really friendly, it's all gooood.
J-OD
drink plenty of water though

ahah its so funny when you have a bottle of water that half full and there weird gurning people come up to you and smile and point at the water and wink. yes.. stranger, you can have some water....:s-smilie:

I know what you mean, it's usually ok but last rave I was at a really dribbly guy wanted some.. I was like "sure" then when he was done just chucked the rest away :P
My advice would be - buzz your tits off mayyte!

Sorted.
Reply 14
Haha this is all giving such a weird perception of D&B nights. Don't take glowsticks or UV stuff, that's more for electrohouse-type raves. And don't feel like you have to take loads of water? A bottle of water is a godsend if you're at the front for four hours, but unless you're dropping any pills you don't need to carry any around or anything. And seriously wear whatever the hell you like, I've been to D&B nights in a shirt and tie, a really trippy print t-shirt, normal clothes, anything. It's all about the music. Out of curiosity, what event are you going to and whats the line-up?
Reply 15
Yeah honestly don't worry, no one will care how you dance or look. In fact I think its one of the most judgemental free environments you'll ever experience!
Reply 16
viirkokka
I know what you mean, it's usually ok but last rave I was at a really dribbly guy wanted some.. I was like "sure" then when he was done just chucked the rest away :P

aha.. i know what you mean, in leeds.. the bouncers are so seedy that they let everyone in and ID them. then once the clock ticks 3.00am they try and sell you stuff! so corrupt..
Reply 17
viirkokka
You'll never see such a huge variety of dressing and people, it's different to clubbing and way more fun. You'll also find people are more friendly, more chatty, less sleazy, less fighting (I've never seen a fight at a rave). Don't be scared if a pilled up person comes and says hi and throws their arm around you, everyones really friendly, it's all gooood.

This is what I love about D&B. People think it's scary but I feel 100 times safer in a dirty underground rave (or a pristine, above-ground one) than I do in something like Oceana. It's just the best atmosphere. Viirkokka, do you ever go out in Bristol by the way? Signal at Motion this weekend is going to be amazing.
Lol so true about the water thing, but you always make friends with them easily! good starting point hehe. Hope u enjoy it, quite interested to know what night it is.
Reply 19
Anae
This is what I love about D&B. People think it's scary but I feel 100 times safer in a dirty underground rave (or a pristine, above-ground one) than I do in something like Oceana. It's just the best atmosphere. Viirkokka, do you ever go out in Bristol by the way? Signal at Motion this weekend is going to be amazing.

oh.. oceana is a chain then im guessing? the leeds one is w*nk. exodus,subdub DMZ so much better.. but it is obviously ten times more illegal... or maybe a LOT less subtle.

btw is Bristol DnB scene more liquidy? i had an open day thing there and it seemed less jump-up but more trancey :frown:.. if you get what i mean?

Latest