The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Deborah Drapper
Just a quickie. Can you let me know what your definition of scientist is?

Sorry about the typing error! It has been a long day with a live radio interview and talking to lots of journalists.

Deborah

Scientist: One whose activities make use of the scientific method to answer questions regarding the measurable universe. ...

Perhaps I should draw your attention to the scientific method
Reply 21
"Deborah is in this (enviable) position because her deeply religious parents have ensured all her life that she is protected from the sins of the outside world."

Ohhh, just wait until she delves a little deeper into this forum.
How come internet is allowed but TV isn't?
Reply 23
gumshoe
"Deborah is in this (enviable) position because her deeply religious parents have ensured all her life that she is protected from the sins of the outside world."

Ohhh, just wait until she delves a little deeper into this forum.

A polite link to Health and Relationships perhaps?
Reply 24
im so academic
LOL at the fact you can't spell your own name. :rolleyes:

And there I always assumed 'Deboah' was simply one of the more obscure tracts of Old Testament catechism.
Reply 25
teh_samby
How come internet is allowed but TV isn't?

This. There are far, far worse things on the internet than on TV.
She's not allowed to watch TV but they let her on the internet? :s-smilie: Someone's got their priorities wrong...

Edit: Beaten to it...
Reply 27
ok I've read this girl's blog, and one sentance which leapt up at me, was:

"This is a Christian based curriculum and not only teaches the subjects, but teaches character"

I don't know about anyone else, but there's something about an academic curriculum which also teaches "character" which strikes me as so, so wrong....
Reply 28
Bobo1234
ok I've read this girl's blog, and one sentance which leapt up at me, was:

"This is a Christian based curriculum and not only teaches the subjects, but teaches character"

I don't know about anyone else, but there's something about an academic curriculum which also teaches "character" which strikes me as so, so wrong....

Well, if your contact with reality is strictly restricted, then where else is she expected to gain her "character building" activities?
If you saw the article above Deborah's in the telegraph "Monsters in the making" then it would suggest to me that teaching character as part of education is something that we should be doing more not laughing about. and if you had worked with the princes trust, connexions and the probation service as I have then I'm sure you would think the same too....
Reply 30
Rebekah Railton
If you saw the article above Deborah's in the telegraph "Monsters in the making" then it would suggest to me that teaching character as part of education is something that we should be doing more not laughing about. and if you had worked with the princes trust, connexions and the probation service as I have then I'm sure you would think the same too....

What? The role of education is about training, not teaching people how to behave. Whether or not you believe society to be "broken" that is distinct from what the role of education should be
So do you believe that it is not part of education to teach that Hitler was wrong? To teach that lying, stealing, and cheating are wrong? Is it not education to teach good characters that will help people through out their lives, such as being honest, good time keeping, telling the truth. Things that will not only help youngsters get good job, but to be able to keep those jobs.

If no one teaches a child these things then how are we looking out for the best interests of this child. Yes they should learn them from their parents and friends, but if their are not learning them from these people, because their parents arn't around, or their parents maybe never learnt them in the first place then yes I believe it should be part of education
Reply 32
Rebekah Railton
So do you believe that it is not part of education to teach that Hitler was wrong? To teach that lying, stealing, and cheating are wrong? Is it not education to teach good characters that will help people through out their lives, such as being honest, good time keeping, telling the truth. Things that will not only help youngsters get good job, but to be able to keep those jobs.

In short, no.

In long, yes they should learn these things, but education is not the right medium. Teaching is often influenced by the state, the teachers themselves and a variety of other things. Teachers should not be encouraged to expound their own views onto students. There would be an outcry if a racist teacher started teaching his students racism for instance.
Reply 33
Rebekah Railton

If no one teaches a child these things then how are we looking out for the best interests of this child. Yes they should learn them from their parents and friends, but if their are not learning them from these people, because their parents arn't around, or their parents maybe never learnt them in the first place then yes I believe it should be part of education

Do you not find it a little messed up then that she is being taught a curriculum which teaches character, by her parents? Are they mindless zombies or something?
She's not being taught by her parents exactly she is being taught by the bible... This s what they believe.... and so this is what they teach... Do you have kids?

I have a baby girl. and I know I will want to teach her to be the best that I can. But I guess I didn't think about it some much before I have a daughter of my own...

and in answer to Simon ..who do you think should decide what is right and wrong? and who should teach them? just curious for your thoughts
Reply 35
Rebekah Railton

I agree completely.
Why thank you Eskimo hee hee ... However the programme is on..... You should watch!!!!
Reply 37
Rebekah Railton

Yes, I think that is what SimonM meant by "training." It is a completely different thing when an individual is taught exactly what to think; without being given a reason why, without being given a chance to allow them to think for themselves.
"Deborah, servant of God" - so is that Deborah's own choice to be so, regardless of her parent's views, or the resultant of the "character shaping" by her parents?
Reply 38
Telegraph

She has never watched television, or been to school, and the only people she really sees are her mother, father and 10 siblings.

She's not allowed friends? Now that's what I call Child Abuse! 2009...
Reply 39
Bobo1234
Ok, you're offline, so you can bloody well read this when you get back on if you are indeed deborah drapper- first, the bold bit. How dare you judge us for expressing opinios on you, when you go out and attempt to force your religion on people at bus stops and skate parks? I always thought the Bible was aginst hypocrisy...

Errm, who's judging you?! Maybe she actually is interested in reading what people think about her to see how she's being portrayed?? I know I would be interested. She hasn't been rude or said 'you have no right' or any of that crap, she just suggested that you read her blog to understand her better. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending