The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

*~Claire~*
I emailed them asking if I would need to do the admissions test and they emailed back in a few days and they said:

First of all we would like to thank you for your interest in becoming a student of University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Kosice (UVMPh).
With BSc degree in Animal Science you can apply for 4-year post Bsc English program. The main condition for acceptation is Proof of degree Diploma and other required documents. They will be advised by Madame Vice-rector for foreign and postdratuate studies and later by Administration of the UVMPh. And after that you will be informed about the result.
You can apply straight to the University by sending all the required documents by mail or email. List of them you can find on our website or in the attached file in this email. There is not a possibility to apply to the UVMPh through IMS anymore.
There is an application fee of 50€ to be paid prior to the entrance examination. Confirmation about the payment can be sent later, as we will inform you about the number of the account where you can transfer the money.
Right now the date for the entrance examination is set on 9th July 2010 and 23rd August 2010. If there is any change we will inform all the applicants. Definite date and time will be set in Invitation letter which will receive every applicant after delivering all the documents to the UVMPh.

So I guess I would have to sit the exam?! Even though I did an Animal Science degree and A levels in Bio and Chem. Like you, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do it after BMAT horror!! :eek3:

I didnt sit the entrance exam. It sounds like theyre saying you dont have to, because they say the main condition for acceptance is your degree transcript. I think they've just stuck the exam dates on the end for some really strange reason, because graduates never sit the exam, only 6 year program people. Confusing as it is, I would just apply and ignore it for now, if they want you to sit it then they'll tell you, but im sure you dont have to.
*~Claire~*
So I guess I would have to sit the exam?! Even though I did an Animal Science degree and A levels in Bio and Chem. Like you, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do it after BMAT horror!! :eek3:

I agree that I don't think you'll have to take it. I don't knwo a single grad that did have to. It probably just got stuck on at the end in a cut and paste kind of thing. Even if you did have to take it I highly doubt that it would be anything like as bad as the BMAT!
Reply 182
*~Claire~*
I emailed them asking if I would need to do the admissions test and they emailed back in a few days and they said:

First of all we would like to thank you for your interest in becoming a student of University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Kosice (UVMPh).
With BSc degree in Animal Science you can apply for 4-year post Bsc English program. The main condition for acceptation is Proof of degree Diploma and other required documents. They will be advised by Madame Vice-rector for foreign and postdratuate studies and later by Administration of the UVMPh. And after that you will be informed about the result.
You can apply straight to the University by sending all the required documents by mail or email. List of them you can find on our website or in the attached file in this email. There is not a possibility to apply to the UVMPh through IMS anymore.
There is an application fee of 50€ to be paid prior to the entrance examination. Confirmation about the payment can be sent later, as we will inform you about the number of the account where you can transfer the money.
Right now the date for the entrance examination is set on 9th July 2010 and 23rd August 2010. If there is any change we will inform all the applicants. Definite date and time will be set in Invitation letter which will receive every applicant after delivering all the documents to the UVMPh.

Hiya! I got an email from them after I sent my application form/degree certificates in, which was similar to the one you posted in the way that it had the exam date and cost at the end of it! I emailed them back to query it and they said that they just sent the email to all applicants including those for the 6 year course and that graduates definitely do not have to do the admissions test! :biggrin: So don't worry, all you need is your degree certificates like tigercallie and HannahUVM said :smile:

So are you definitely going to apply? Did you apply to any UK unis?
tigercallie
I didnt sit the entrance exam.

HannahUVM
I agree that I don't think you'll have to take it.

Vet_Face
graduates definitely do not have to do the admissions test! :biggrin: So don't worry, all you need is your degree certificates like tigercallie and HannahUVM said :smile: So are you definitely going to apply? Did you apply to any UK unis?

Ooh thanks everyone! That's a bit of a relief, don't fancy having to travel to Slovakia just to sit an exam! :rolleyes:

Urgh I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I applied to Notts, RVC, Cambs and Bristol. Got 3 rejections and a Bristol offer but sadly I don't have a spare £85,000 so unless I have a sudden windfall I won't be taking it up! :smile:

At the moment I'm thinking of working for a year to save the pennies, re-applying to Notts on the off chance of an offer (highly unlikely - they don't seem to like grads or re-applicants from what I've heard, so for a grad re-applicant it's not looking too good!) and then applying to Kosice this time next year. I work in a vets as a receptionist and they said that they’d train me to do the Animal Nursing Assistant course in the meantime to boost my application/ experience. :smile:
From what I’ve heard from Tigercallie and HannahUVM, Kosice sounds really good. Just a case of saving up to go really.
Did you apply to the UK this year?
*~Claire~*
At the moment I'm thinking of working for a year to save the pennies, re-applying to Notts on the off chance of an offer (highly unlikely - they don't seem to like grads or re-applicants from what I've heard, so for a grad re-applicant it's not looking too good!) and then applying to Kosice this time next year.

You can always come out and start here whilst applying to Notts at the same time in September and then if you don't get in you are already started here and haven't missed a year. Obviously if you need the money then the year out for that is good but the above option is what I considered. In the end I liked it here and didn't bother applying again back home. :biggrin:
Reply 185
Hey guys, just wanna say this is the best forum ever for a guy like me looking to come to Kosice in September. So much info, so thanks. Just made my mind up to apply and it's exciting times ahead. Im Irish and missed Veterinary points in my leaving cert by 20 points...went on to study agri science and got a decent job out of it but i know im already bored and unfulfilled with it. Anyway, saved a few quid but still going to have to take out a chunky loan to cover the four year route out there - my question is, can anyone hazard a guess as to what the entire thing costs over the four years?? Thanks in advance.
Derek
MrCasey
Hey guys, just wanna say this is the best forum ever for a guy like me looking to come to Kosice in September. So much info, so thanks. Just made my mind up to apply and it's exciting times ahead. Im Irish and missed Veterinary points in my leaving cert by 20 points...went on to study agri science and got a decent job out of it but i know im already bored and unfulfilled with it. Anyway, saved a few quid but still going to have to take out a chunky loan to cover the four year route out there - my question is, can anyone hazard a guess as to what the entire thing costs over the four years?? Thanks in advance.
Derek

I had a teacher called Mr Casey! So i'll hazard a guess!;

4 x 7000 fees = 28000
(9 x 110 + 3 x 55) x 4 dorms = 4620 (they charge half rent while ur not there)
20 x 30 x 4 food = 2400

=======35020 euros

So i'd equate that to be about £30000, but i just remembered you said you were irish! I dont think thats bad really, i included food and accommodation for the full 4 years too, I spend about 20 euros a week on food, and we're there for about 30 weeks of the year, give or take. I also didnt include alcohol, and you're irish sooooo.... ;-P but i manage a pretty good night out and a taxi home for 15/20 euros, its really cheap to drink. You can live in a flat instead of dorms, but i live in dorms and im planning on staying there cos ive painted my room and i love it now. A flat would be about 250 a month and no half rent, so 12000 for 4 years instead of 4620, then you might have bills, whereas in dorms everything, heating, internet, water, everthing! is included, but i guess it depends what you like! How exciting! Good luck!
tigercallie

I think I remember reading you were vegetarian... me too! So is it really difficult eating out? I'm guessing if there's Tesco that you can buy loads of stuff from the supermarket anyway. :smile:

HannahUVM
You can always come out and start here whilst applying to Notts at the same time in September and then if you don't get in you are already started here and haven't missed a year. Obviously if you need the money then the year out for that is good but the above option is what I considered. In the end I liked it here and didn't bother applying again back home. :biggrin:

Mmm it's a good idea, I would think about doing that if I didn't have to save up! :smile:
*~Claire~*
I think I remember reading you were vegetarian... me too! So is it really difficult eating out? I'm guessing if there's Tesco that you can buy loads of stuff from the supermarket anyway. :smile:

Tbh eating outs the easy bit! there's always a few veggie things on the menu, even though you do find "ham and eggs" on most vegetarian menus, apparently pigs aren't animals over there! You can buy basics, so its good if you know how to cook veggie meals. I went over with nothing which was a bit disaster because you cant buy soya or anything and quorn doesnt exist. You can get veggie sausages and veggie burgers from hypertesco, but its not like youll be there every week. An its only one type of sausage and one type of burger, theyre lovely, but it gets really boring! You get a fridge freezer in your room so i try and stock up. When i come back after the christmas hols im taking dried soya with me, and a huge selection of spices! You can buy spices there, but its all written in slovak i have no idea whats what! For the first term i pretty much lived off bread and cheese with some salad, occoasionally pasta and those veggie things. This time once ive got my soya mince ill be able to make tonnes more things! There are a few veegies over there, so you'll be ok, but also a few that have converted because it is a bit of a hassle!
Reply 189
*~Claire~*
Ooh thanks everyone! That's a bit of a relief, don't fancy having to travel to Slovakia just to sit an exam! :rolleyes:

Urgh I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I applied to Notts, RVC, Cambs and Bristol. Got 3 rejections and a Bristol offer but sadly I don't have a spare £85,000 so unless I have a sudden windfall I won't be taking it up! :smile:

At the moment I'm thinking of working for a year to save the pennies, re-applying to Notts on the off chance of an offer (highly unlikely - they don't seem to like grads or re-applicants from what I've heard, so for a grad re-applicant it's not looking too good!) and then applying to Kosice this time next year. I work in a vets as a receptionist and they said that they’d train me to do the Animal Nursing Assistant course in the meantime to boost my application/ experience. :smile:
From what I’ve heard from Tigercallie and HannahUVM, Kosice sounds really good. Just a case of saving up to go really.
Did you apply to the UK this year?

I'm in the same situation as you, I applied to RVC and Notts and got rejected :frown: I haven't heard from Liverpool yet but even if I get an offer I don't think I will be able to go due to the fees! I thought about waiting a year and applying again, but RVC and Notts are so competitive! :mad:
You are so lucky to have a job in a vets though! And it's really awesome that they will help you out with training, that's got to help if you apply to the UK again next year! :smile:
Reply 190
Oh and I'm veggie too! :-D
I can't believe that 'ham and eggs' is on the veggie menus!
Vet_Face
I'm in the same situation as you, I applied to RVC and Notts and got rejected :frown: I haven't heard from Liverpool yet but even if I get an offer I don't think I will be able to go due to the fees! I thought about waiting a year and applying again, but RVC and Notts are so competitive! :mad:
You are so lucky to have a job in a vets though! And it's really awesome that they will help you out with training, that's got to help if you apply to the UK again next year! :smile:

Graduate fees are really awful, but the more expensive unis don't seem to mind grad applicants so much, so Liverpool might give you an offer. Did you have an interview?

Yeah I know I'm lucky to work in a vets, I started by doing 2 weeks of work experience there but I kept going back and they realised they couldn't get rid of me so they may as well employ me! Haha! :biggrin:

So are you actually applying now then for 2010 entry? Good luck!

Oh, and egg and ham?! Ha haaaaaaaaa! Excellent! :biggrin: I'm not too bad at cooking as long as I have basics like rice, onion, tinned tomatoes and chickpeas, I can rustle something up! :smile:
yeh you can get all the basics, but bring spices! oh and tea bags!!!! whatever you do, do not forget tea bags!!!!!!!
Reply 193
*~Claire~*
Graduate fees are really awful, but the more expensive unis don't seem to mind grad applicants so much, so Liverpool might give you an offer. Did you have an interview?

Yeah I know I'm lucky to work in a vets, I started by doing 2 weeks of work experience there but I kept going back and they realised they couldn't get rid of me so they may as well employ me! Haha! :biggrin:

So are you actually applying now then for 2010 entry? Good luck!

Oh, and egg and ham?! Ha haaaaaaaaa! Excellent! :biggrin: I'm not too bad at cooking as long as I have basics like rice, onion, tinned tomatoes and chickpeas, I can rustle something up! :smile:

I haven't heard from Liverpool atall apart from the work experience questionnaire which they seem to give to everyone with the minumum qualifications! But I don't think I will be able to accept an offer from them even if I do get an interview then an offer :frown: I don't know how people pay back the fees, it must take them forever! I wish they did some kind of vet-NHS funding thing for graduates like the graduate entry medics get!

Haha maybe I should try that with my vets, i would love it if they employed me!

Yep, I'm applying for 2010 entry, I've sent in my application already so I'm just waiting for them to decide now! Good luck to you too, for your application!

I think I will live on pasta, rice, and bread and cheese sandwiches lol
Reply 194
tigercallie
yeh you can get all the basics, but bring spices! oh and tea bags!!!! whatever you do, do not forget tea bags!!!!!!!

Hahaha really?! What kind of tea bags can you get in Slovakia? Thanks for the tip, I don't think I would be able to cope without a cuppa!
Vet_Face
Hahaha really?! What kind of tea bags can you get in Slovakia? Thanks for the tip, I don't think I would be able to cope without a cuppa!

Bad ones! You can get english breakfast if you go to marks and spencers, but thats right at the bottom of Hlavna and im never really there, and i think the packs only like 25 or something and its quite expensive, so id be broke! Im taking one of those 800 sacks back with me this time!
Reply 196
tigercallie
Bad ones! You can get english breakfast if you go to marks and spencers, but thats right at the bottom of Hlavna and im never really there, and i think the packs only like 25 or something and its quite expensive, so id be broke! Im taking one of those 800 sacks back with me this time!

Ah, I will need a seperate suitcase just for the tea bags then! Haha!
So do you usually get your stuff from Tesco? Is it within walking distance of the uni?
Reply 197
Tigercallie, you're a legend thanks...and jees it looks like there's a breed of an accountant in you as well with such detailed figures!

Good to have an idea of what it will all cost anyway. And :yep: , im irish, so i think you are right to leave the old drinking figure as "tbc" for the time being lol! Whats the best way to get over there for a look at the uni? Probably fly to Budapest and train it from there im guessing? Or not...I heard there's lots of Irish there but jesus there's lots of Irish everywhere in the world as far as i can see...
MrCasey
Whats the best way to get over there for a look at the uni? Probably fly to Budapest and train it from there im guessing?

I find the best way to get here is fly to budapest and then get an airport minibus transfer to kosice. The transfer is about €25 or €30 and way easier than the train because it goes straight from the airport doors. There is also the train option if you get in after 11.30pm and therefore too late for the bus and need to stay overnight.
Another option is to fly to Bratislava and then either get another flight to Kosice (although these can be a bit expensive) or get the train which is €8 with a student card but takes 6.5 hours!
You can also fly to Poprad from a few places and then get the train from there or even a taxi I guess.
I still think the first option is the best though.
Reply 199
HannahUVM
I find the best way to get here is fly to budapest and then get an airport minibus transfer to kosice. The transfer is about €25 or €30 and way easier than the train because it goes straight from the airport doors. There is also the train option if you get in after 11.30pm and therefore too late for the bus and need to stay overnight.

Hiya, do you mean that the train runs all night, so you can get to the uni even if you turn up really late?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending