The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Hi, just a few questions

1. I would like to apply for entrance into the 6 year course next year but I am unsure what certificates to put into the application. I would be applying straight from school and would not have my final results. Would I give my as results?
2. Random question but what speed is the internet in the rooms and are the bills included?
3. What activities are available in the physical education topic and are they subsidized by the university?
4. Do the rooms in accommodation have locks on them?

And finally
5. What are your views on the atmosphere in the uni and around the city/town of Kosice e.g. is it student friendly, is there a high crime rate etc...

Thank you in advance
Zoe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Zoe,

1. Yes.
2. I get 2Mbs download so pretty fast!
3. Horse rehab/basketball/football/netball etc all free
4. Yes
5. Very student friendly and I love it here. Not much crime I don't think as the police here are armed which stops stupid kids... Occasionally you will see a fight (I've seen maybe 3 in the past year) etc but these are Slovak fights with fists unlike England where it's knives n guns!
Original post by crocmadchris
Hi Zoe,

1. Yes.
2. I get 2Mbs download so pretty fast!
3. Horse rehab/basketball/football/netball etc all free
4. Yes
5. Very student friendly and I love it here. Not much crime I don't think as the police here are armed which stops stupid kids... Occasionally you will see a fight (I've seen maybe 3 in the past year) etc but these are Slovak fights with fists unlike England where it's knives n guns!

Thank you :smile:

Also, I'm hopefully coming to have a look at the uni around October/November time (I know it's quite far away) but just wondering if I would have to notify the uni or would I just ask someone if they have enough time to show me around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I'm planning to apply for UMV Kosice entry 2014. My main question is about the entrance exams.

Can someone please tell me - and I understand that the answer may well have to be a guesstimate - roughly what A-level grades in biology/chemistry would equate to passing the entrance exams? Are we talking A's, B's? Lower?

I have AAB A-levels, but in non-science subjects (History, English Literature and Psychology)...was predicated AAA but was also a Carer for a family member at the time, which had to come first. I'm a strong independent learner, I had to be, as I missed a lot of classes at A-level. Has anyone self-taught Biology and Chemistry A-levels and passed the entrance exam? Be nice to know if it's been previously proven do-able :smile:

Sunshine and rainbows to all the future vets and future vet students out there

x
Reply 1984
Original post by Aprilfools
Hey,

I'm planning to apply for UMV Kosice entry 2014. My main question is about the entrance exams.

Can someone please tell me - and I understand that the answer may well have to be a guesstimate - roughly what A-level grades in biology/chemistry would equate to passing the entrance exams? Are we talking A's, B's? Lower?

I have AAB A-levels, but in non-science subjects (History, English Literature and Psychology)...was predicated AAA but was also a Carer for a family member at the time, which had to come first. I'm a strong independent learner, I had to be, as I missed a lot of classes at A-level. Has anyone self-taught Biology and Chemistry A-levels and passed the entrance exam? Be nice to know if it's been previously proven do-able :smile:

Sunshine and rainbows to all the future vets and future vet students out there

x

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I've not taken the entrance exams (I'm going in on the 4-year course). But I think it is difficult to say what standard the entrance exams are geared for, since by saying 'A-level' does rather already indicate the depth of subject material. I'm not sure if you've spotted them, but someone posted some example papers a while ago, these might give you an idea.

In any case, I just wanted to say good luck in your studies, you sound very driven.
Original post by UponACrescendo
Thank you :smile:

Also, I'm hopefully coming to have a look at the uni around October/November time (I know it's quite far away) but just wondering if I would have to notify the uni or would I just ask someone if they have enough time to show me around?

Up to you, always worth letting the office know so you can talk to the people in charge to answer questions etc but most people would be willing to show you around!

P.S. It could very well be cold and snowy at that time!
Any chance someone could re-post the past papers link? I was able to find it yesterday but today I can't re-find it!

Also...long shot but...when i looked at the papers yesterday i thought that yes, i could pass the biology exam without much trouble...the chemistry one was trickier but if i did plenty of revision between now and august 26th I felt that it might just be doable. it's all stuff i kind of know, but needs brushing up on.

basically i know they're more relaxed in solvakia, so is there any chanced they'd let me apply for this year? Anyone have experience of applying (very) late for this course?

Any info asap would be so so so so so helpful!

xxxxx

Update: found the links
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1987
Any chance someone could re-post the past papers link? I was able to find it yesterday but today I can't re-find it!

Also...long shot but...when i looked at the papers yesterday i thought that yes, i could pass the biology exam without much trouble...the chemistry one was trickier but if i did plenty of revision between now and august 26th I felt that it might just be doable. it's all stuff i kind of know, but needs brushing up on.

basically i know they're more relaxed in solvakia, so is there any chanced they'd let me apply for this year? Anyone have experience of applying (very) late for this course?

Any info asap would be so so so so so helpful!

xxxxx

I'd give them a call today (the number is on the website), worth an ask, though it is well after the deadline! Guess it depends on the number of applicants :-) people have gotten in late as far as I remember, but I'm not sure how late that was.
Original post by luinecu
I'd give them a call today (the number is on the website), worth an ask, though it is well after the deadline! Guess it depends on the number of applicants :-) people have gotten in late as far as I remember, but I'm not sure how late that was.

thanks i will definitely do so x
Reply 1989
thanks i will definitely do so x

Did you have any luck? :-)
Original post by luinecu
Did you have any luck? :-)

well the lady i spoke to said she would have to ask the Madam Vice Rector and then get back to me...

meanwhile i've got an email asking me to send on my CV and school leaving certificates (ie A level certificates)...

which i've now realised will be a problem because (i'd forgotten this until i dug them out) - my sixth form spelled "Daisy" as "Daisie" on my certificates :-s :-S !!! yeeeeks...wonder if this will be a big issue?

if i can't get in this year, i still plan on applying next year when i'm more organised! having done some research i actually think i'd prefer Kosice to a British uni (as would my bank balance)

xxx
Reply 1991
well the lady i spoke to said she would have to ask the Madam Vice Rector and then get back to me...

meanwhile i've got an email asking me to send on my CV and school leaving certificates (ie A level certificates)...

which i've now realised will be a problem because (i'd forgotten this until i dug them out) - my sixth form spelled "Daisy" as "Daisie" on my certificates :-s :-S !!! yeeeeks...wonder if this will be a big issue?

if i can't get in this year, i still plan on applying next year when i'm more organised! having done some research i actually think i'd prefer Kosice to a British uni (as would my bank balance)

xxx

Oh, that's tricky. Thing is you need to get your certs notorised and apostilled (requiring proof of identification eg passport), so if the name differs to that you may end up having problems registering with the Slovak government as a student, even if the university doesn't care.

I feel the same way, it's scary going off abroad to study but after taking into consideration the life experience, price, and for me the time commitment it's a no brainer.

Get those certs fixed asap in any case, that's pretty bad they got them wrong in the first place.. Same thing happened to a mate of mine who spells her name Jenni.
Replacement of incorrect certificates costs between £40 and £50 EACH!

I have emailed my old school/sixth form about this, because they are the ones who spelled my name wrong, not me. Also I don't have a spare £150 (and that would just be for A2 certs, never mind AS and GCSE!)

I actually told my sixth form about the mistake in 2009 when I got my results, and I remember they gave me a letter to show Universities explaining the incorrect spelling occurred due to a mistake on their system. I see now that this was most likely them not wanting to fork out for new certs! cheeky cheap skates grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry::angry:

thanks for your advice about this though, you're right i need to get them fixed asap xx
Original post by crocmadchris
Up to you, always worth letting the office know so you can talk to the people in charge to answer questions etc but most people would be willing to show you around!

P.S. It could very well be cold and snowy at that time!

Would I email or write a letter?

For anyone who is applying to/on the 6 year course how much weighting does the uni give a level results and if possible could you post what you got accepted with?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1994
Replacement of incorrect certificates costs between £40 and £50 EACH!

I have emailed my old school/sixth form about this, because they are the ones who spelled my name wrong, not me. Also I don't have a spare £150 (and that would just be for A2 certs, never mind AS and GCSE!)

I actually told my sixth form about the mistake in 2009 when I got my results, and I remember they gave me a letter to show Universities explaining the incorrect spelling occurred due to a mistake on their system. I see now that this was most likely them not wanting to fork out for new certs! cheeky cheap skates grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry::angry:

thanks for your advice about this though, you're right i need to get them fixed asap xx

At least you don't need your AS/GCSE certs for Kosice. I was charged £50 to notorize, and ~£75 to appostille my 2 certs, so be aware that getting all that some is going to cost you quite a bit. Did you apply in the end?
Reply 1995
Original post by luinecu
I was charged £50 to notorize, and ~£75 to appostille m

where and how do you go about doing this
I don't think I'll be able to get everything organized in time for this year :frown: well, it was a bit of a long shot (to say the least!)

I am DEFINITELY applying next year though! as soon as applications open :biggrin:

this gives me time to get replacement certs with correct name, get them notorised and appostilled, and buff up on my chemistry so i can ace that entrance exam :smile:

Thanks for your advice by the way...and i bet you're getting excited about going, as it's not long for you now! :tongue:x
Could anyone at UVM quote around how much you spent on buying textbooks, lab coats etc when you started the course (I'm on the 4 year course)? Also does anyone know what's an acceptable monthly expenditure excluding all the extras (textbooks..)?
Original post by anthonylam0
Could anyone at UVM quote around how much you spent on buying textbooks, lab coats etc when you started the course (I'm on the 4 year course)? Also does anyone know what's an acceptable monthly expenditure excluding all the extras (textbooks..)?

looks like we'll be on the same course together :smile:

you might have more luck posting this on the uvm facebook page, theres lots of current students on there who would probably be quite helpful, theres also lots of other info that you might find interesting as well. i've been wonderin about living costs myself so itd be helpful for me too :P
The uni's 'own' textbook which are the recommended texts are generally either passed down from older years or a max of 10 euros each. Think I've spent a maxiumum of 50 euros on textbooks this past year though was passed down a lot. Loads of stuff is given in electronic format as well.

In terms of living costs depending on what/how you eat you can get away with between 5-10 euro's a day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending