The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HannahUVM
I say definitely keep it as an option for if you don't get into one of the cheap UK ones. I am so glad I made the decision and came out here. 100% the right choice for me and as a grad it's the only shortened course option. I'm nearly at the end of my 3rd year out of 4 and it has gone by so incredibly quickly. I can't believe that this time next year I will be close to graduating! :smile:

Im not jealous at all....

but im sure my time will come soon enough!
Reply 581
Hey everyone :smile:
I just have a quick question, what level would you say the Chemistry entrance exam is? A-level? GCSE?
I should be set for the biology one as I'm doing that for A-level, but I don't have any chemistry apart from a GCSE, although I should be taking it as an AS next year :smile:
I've read lots of good things about kosice here but I was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the vetmed course in Brno (Czech republic)?
Thanks alot,
Qru x
Original post by Qru
Hey everyone :smile:
I just have a quick question, what level would you say the Chemistry entrance exam is? A-level? GCSE?
I should be set for the biology one as I'm doing that for A-level, but I don't have any chemistry apart from a GCSE, although I should be taking it as an AS next year :smile:
I've read lots of good things about kosice here but I was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the vetmed course in Brno (Czech republic)?
Thanks alot,
Qru x

Most of us are Grads so didnt take the exam, but cass did, so i'll get her to come on here and answer. Dont know anything really about brno sorry, only that its a lot of dog stuff, but i think thats more of a rumour, ive never actually spoken to anyone from there :smile: (here's obviously better though! :biggrin:)
Reply 583
Hey, there is definitely a-level material on the exam, but its also multiple choice and has a lot of simple gcse stuff. Maybe get a book to work through or chemguide.com or co.uk? i'll have a look, is very good for teaching chemistry. Don't get worried about it though, it really was fine, I really think that they let everyone in anyway because they like the money, I know that sounds bad but you'd still get a chance to see the place and meet some of your classmates and stuff.

There was a Guatemalan girl in my exam who could barely speak english and she showed me her paper at the end which was mostly blank! But she also passed apparently, haven't seen her since though.

Here it is - http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

Good luck! I'm looking forward to more new people coming, and more 6 years please! I'm the only english student in my class, even though I have a really good group it would be nice to have more people in my position :smile:
Reply 584
Just realised your from Cyprus :tongue: still nice to have new people! Haha
Original post by Cass8008
Just realised your from Cyprus :tongue: still nice to have new people! Haha

Read - "so i can finally have some friends!" :tongue:
Reply 586
How very dare you Elle! Well I'm going to need one more now to replace you aren't I??? :tongue: To think I might be living with you next year as well... God help me! :biggrin:
You'll get used to me, im a grower...

I cant sleep, i keep thinking about our house. Someone needs to give Roland a bump on the head, Hannah? :-D ah!
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding out how to get my documents notarized. At the vet school in Cluj they said to go to the police station, but i phoned and they said the police dont notarize documents anymore, it has to be the council?! What did the rest of you do?
Original post by Shockley
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm having trouble finding out how to get my documents notarized. At the vet school in Cluj they said to go to the police station, but i phoned and they said the police dont notarize documents anymore, it has to be the council?! What did the rest of you do?

Hey, dont get it done, its really expensive and i've no idea how you do it! When i was applying someone told me not to bother, so I didn't and all was fine. No ones ever mentioned it! :-)
A special lawyer has to do it now in the UK but it's not necessary. IF they want it done then they'll send you to do it when you get here and it's really cheap and easy to do, but it sounds like they don't care anymore.

I just used an ordinary solicitor and was charged the grand sum of £10. If you use an actual notary, i.e a specialized solicitor with additional qualifications, it may well cost 10-20 times this amount and I would suggest it's quite unnecessary given the significance of the documents...after all, as long as it has an official looking stamp, is anyone in Romania really going to spend an afternoon investigating the technicalities of the British legal system?

Btw, are you considering also applying to the Timisoara course as a backup? I know the Romanian language from year 4 could be a headache, but fees of 600 euros per year are not to be scoffed at!
Tiger, Hannah, Cass…or any other passing Kosies:

This is a tad premature, but since I’ve just booked my flights for the entrance exam in July, I was wondering if any of you could tell me whereabouts the bus from Buda drops you off in Kosice? I’ve provisionally booked the ‘City Hotel’ in Vodárenská street on the basis that it seems to be near the university, but since my bus gets in at 21:30, would I be better advised to get something more centrally located? I should add that my sense of direction is exceptionally poor.

Oh, just one more thing. What’s the correct pronunciation for Kosice?

Thank y'all.
Reply 593
Original post by ScreamingEmu

This is a tad premature, but since I’ve just booked my flights for the entrance exam in July, I was wondering if any of you could tell me whereabouts the bus from Buda drops you off in Kosice? I’ve provisionally booked the ‘City Hotel’ in Vodárenská street on the basis that it seems to be near the university, but since my bus gets in at 21:30, would I be better advised to get something more centrally located? I should add that my sense of direction is exceptionally poor.

Thank y'all.

It drops you off in the Mcdonalds car park here - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=McDonald's+near+Kosice,+Slovakia&aq=0&sll=48.71359,21.267107&sspn=0.006753,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=McDonald's&hnear=Kosice,+Slovakia&ll=48.719218,21.266173&spn=0.0016,0.004823&t=h&z=18

I think there's normally taxis waiting there because they know people get dropped off but I can give you a couple of english speaking taxis if you'd like, it'd be easiest to just grab a taxi to Vodarenska, though you could get the 29 bus - probably a bit of a faff though. I was pretty stupid in that I just turned up and found myself alone in a car park in Slovakia :s but I found a taxi ok anyway. It's pronounced Koh-****z-err, I thought it was koh-see-chi and no one had a clue what I was on about :tongue:

Thank y'all.

It's ko-shee-tse :smile: It's my hometown and I love it very much, everybody loves the history of the city etc.
Cass i tried to write it like that too! haha it got starred as well, mayby Kosh- its-eh will work better!

You will probably be able to pick up a taxi, and we can give you some english speaking drivers numbers to call. However, although where you're staying is close to uni, there is bugger all to see or do around there. I would recommend booking one in the centre. its still only a 15 min walk to the uni (you'll walk past my flat!) and the centre is lovely and you can walk around in a nice area and be near places to eat and shops and still be really close to uni. Personally, i wouldnt want to hang around on that street if i could help it! its not very pleasant. Also, it means you can walk from McDonalds to your hotel, saving the hassle of hoping you get a taxi. When i came i stayed at the Hilton, which is about 400m from McDonalds. Before you think its mega expensive, have a check, because it was one of the cheapest places going when i arrived with my mum! Hope this helps! Btw, whens the entrance exam in july?
I just used an ordinary solicitor and was charged the grand sum of £10. If you use an actual notary, i.e a specialized solicitor with additional qualifications, it may well cost 10-20 times this amount and I would suggest it's quite unnecessary given the significance of the documents...after all, as long as it has an official looking stamp, is anyone in Romania really going to spend an afternoon investigating the technicalities of the British legal system?

Btw, are you considering also applying to the Timisoara course as a backup? I know the Romanian language from year 4 could be a headache, but fees of 600 euros per year are not to be scoffed at!

Yes I am also applying to Timisoara! I only found out about it recently but its a very attractive option, due to location and low fees in the later years (I'm good at languages so hoping I will be fairly competent in Romanian after three years :biggrin:)

Thanks for the advice, I will find out if my mum's solicitor is able to sign my papers.
Yes I am also applying to Timisoara! I only found out about it recently but its a very attractive option, due to location and low fees in the later years (I'm good at languages so hoping I will be fairly competent in Romanian after three years :biggrin:)

Thanks for the advice, I will find out if my mum's solicitor is able to sign my papers.

If you're good at languages, how about German?
In Vienna we only pay 32 euros a YEAR! But the entire 6 yr course is in German, so you have to be fluent really (I'd lived here for 8 years before I applied for VetMed).

Have a look if you're interested:
http://www.vetmeduni.ac.at/fileadmin/v/z/english/Application_procedure_2011_2012_EN.pdf

It's not easy, but if you've got any background in German then it would probably be easier than studying in Romanian :confused:

Good luck!
Original post by tigercallie
Cass i tried to write it like that too! haha it got starred as well, mayby Kosh- its-eh will work better!

You will probably be able to pick up a taxi, and we can give you some english speaking drivers numbers to call. However, although where you're staying is close to uni, there is bugger all to see or do around there. I would recommend booking one in the centre. its still only a 15 min walk to the uni (you'll walk past my flat!) and the centre is lovely and you can walk around in a nice area and be near places to eat and shops and still be really close to uni. Personally, i wouldnt want to hang around on that street if i could help it! its not very pleasant. Also, it means you can walk from McDonalds to your hotel, saving the hassle of hoping you get a taxi. When i came i stayed at the Hilton, which is about 400m from McDonalds. Before you think its mega expensive, have a check, because it was one of the cheapest places going when i arrived with my mum! Hope this helps! Btw, whens the entrance exam in july?

Tar very much for the replies if only admissions could be this helpful and prompt!

Tiger, I think I will look to swap my hotel booking to the Hilton as per your advice - after all, once I’ve suitably engorged myself at the McDonald’s, I doubt I’ll feel like walking very far!
..Oh, and since you ask, the entrance exam is July the 8th. You might be able to spot me walking past your flat: I have that perculiar capacity to be able to look English even from a distance!

I’m going to face a real quandary choosing where to go this September. I'd like to finance the degree without debt and Romania certainly has its advantages in this respect, but that said, I’m really swayed by the fact you chaps are all so friendly and proselytizing for Kosice. Thanks again for all your help.

…yeah, I’m thinking of possibly applying as a wild card. The language aspect doesn’t really bother me either: to live in Romania for 6 years without endeavouring to explore the culture would be a wasted opportunity either way. What puts me off however, is the fact that we would be in the very first year (if it even runs), and as such, it would be rather lonely and obviously there's no one to recommend the course beforehand.

You mention you’re good with languages: I can’t comment on German (re Clare’s comment wow 32 euros and Vienna!), but if you happen to already have decent French or Italian, I think this could be a real boon in learning Romanian vocabulary.

Anyways, hurry up and visit Cluj I’m looking forward to hearing your review!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending