The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Thanks, I know that its not that old, if I did that then I would likely have to move out and get a job somewhere else. I cannot drive and dont want to spend my savings on learning to drive, and live in the middle of nowhere! If I can find out more about Romania then I may go there in September.
Reply 981
Original post by petparadise123
I could but as I resat my AS-levels I am already a year older than other people, and dont want to be 26/27 qualifying! I might if I have to though.

Why? most people that don't do vet med straight after A-Levels (people who didn't get in first/second time, people who have gap years(s)/a change of direction/want to earn money first/do a degree first, etc.) will be that age upon graduation. Same for a lot of med graduates and obviously, PhD's. TBH I'd rather go into something like vet med with a bit of age and experience on my shoulders than be some kid fresh out of A-Levels with very limited practical experience.
Hi everyone!
I have spent ages reading this thread and i think i will definately be aplying to UVM! thanks so much for all the information, has made it a lot less scary :smile:
I am 17 and will be finishing my A levels in biology, chemistry and psychology this year with predictions of abb. I have wanted to be a vet since i can remember and i wouldnt get into uk vet schools so im SOOO happy to have found this thread!

One thing, if the uni is becoming more popular then how do they decide between applicants? is it on grades, or work experience?
My parents think its a great idea so pretty sure i will be applying in january for 2012 entry! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

xx
Reply 983
Original post by rebecca_sparkle
Hi everyone!
I have spent ages reading this thread and i think i will definately be aplying to UVM! thanks so much for all the information, has made it a lot less scary :smile:
I am 17 and will be finishing my A levels in biology, chemistry and psychology this year with predictions of abb. I have wanted to be a vet since i can remember and i wouldnt get into uk vet schools so im SOOO happy to have found this thread!

One thing, if the uni is becoming more popular then how do they decide between applicants? is it on grades, or work experience?
My parents think its a great idea so pretty sure i will be applying in january for 2012 entry! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

xx

Hi Rebecca

Won't vet schools in this country even consider you with an ABB? seems a bit harsh! maybe you should apply anyway -- it can't hurt applying for both (here and abroad) anyway.
My school has told me not to apply because i dont have AAA,
I think its because they dont like people getting no offers because they like to say everyone got into the university they wanted to. so they will only let you apply to ones that you have the right predicted grades for.
Also, i think lots of them ask for lots of A's at GCSE, but i missed loads of school due to illness so i only got 1A* 3A's and 6B's so really doubt they would consider me. Plus i sort of gave up hope of ever being able to be a vet so the only work experience i have is working in a riding school and 2 weeks at an animal hospital :frown: :redface:

Edit - also think its too late to apply over here for 2012 entry
i might apply for something biology related though just as a back up :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Rebecca, I am in a similar position to you:smile:

I am now hoping to go to the university in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, as it is cheaper than UVM. There are severla Eastern European unis that do vet courses, not just UVM, although most people on here seem to be from there:smile:

Good luck!

I have just spoken to my teacher who does the application stuff and they think that I should apply here (maybe to only 1 - biovetmed in lincoln) and to Romania.

I dont have any intention of going to a uni here any more, as I dont think that i will put the effort in due to me not really wanting to be there if you see what i mean, plus its a lot more debt. My dream has always been to be a vet and nothing else, though I had given up on this as I thought I had not hope but to save a lot of money and go to St George's uni in the future.

I am going to start a new thread about Cluj-Napoca I think:smile:
I will have a look on that thread too but really like the sound of kosice! :smile:
also, does anyone know when they have information about thinks like fees for next year? or is that not until january either?
Reply 987
I'm a bit worried about how to fund this if I apply now. :s-smilie:
I will have a look on that thread too but really like the sound of kosice! :smile:
also, does anyone know when they have information about thinks like fees for next year? or is that not until january either?

Not too sure when new fees get announced, maybe when applications open for 2012?
Original post by tigercallie
Not too sure when new fees get announced, maybe when applications open for 2012?

ahh ok thanks, hopefully they dont go up too much, only just have enough savings for it as it is! :s-smilie:
Reply 990
ahh ok thanks, hopefully they dont go up too much, only just have enough savings for it as it is! :s-smilie:

You have £36,000 saved for the tuition fees?!
Original post by trixster
You have £36,000 saved for the tuition fees?!

I dont personally, but mum never spent any family allowance money and put it away with some of her wages intended as a uni fund for me. that covers a fair chunk. Then Dad has a bit saved i can borrow which i will pay back like a student loan, and mum will do the same for my living costs. But if it goes up too much that would probably be too much for them to lend me :redface:
Those of you that are in Kosice, what would you say is the absolute minimum that you would be able to live on (flying home for xmas and summer) per year? for 2012-13 year anyway. (including tuition fees).

Thank you very much.
Original post by petparadise123
Those of you that are in Kosice, what would you say is the absolute minimum that you would be able to live on (flying home for xmas and summer) per year? for 2012-13 year anyway. (including tuition fees).

Thank you very much.

110 euro x 10 months = rent
food about 30-50 euros a week depending on what you buy
i would also say at least 20 euros a week for going out with, spending in the cafeteria etc
the start of term is always pretty expensive for copying books, buying all the things you need, so i would allocate 100 euros for that.
Flying home i always allow 100euros each way, sometimes its cheaper, but not always and i guess it depends where you live in the UK

I'll leave you to do the maths on that!

EDIT: Just remembered I was living on £250 a month, so about 300 euros that had to include everything, and it wasnt quite enough. I reckon 350 euros a month would be ok if you dont mind being careful and are happy to live in dorms the entire time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 994
110 euro x 10 months = rent
food about 30-50 euros a week depending on what you buy
i would also say at least 20 euros a week for going out with, spending in the cafeteria etc
the start of term is always pretty expensive for copying books, buying all the things you need, so i would allocate 100 euros for that.
Flying home i always allow 100euros each way, sometimes its cheaper, but not always and i guess it depends where you live in the UK

I'll leave you to do the maths on that!

EDIT: Just remembered I was living on £250 a month, so about 300 euros that had to include everything, and it wasnt quite enough. I reckon 350 euros a month would be ok if you dont mind being careful and are happy to live in dorms the entire time.

Do you get a single room to yourself in the student accommodation? and then have a shared/kitchen bathroom? is there and option of having unsuite bathrooms?

Does anyone have a TV or is there no point?
Well everyone, hows the form!! Just wondering if there is any videos or good pictures of this place? Im currently in 3rd level in ireland, loving it but veterinary is still niggling away at me!! This place sounds deadly!
Original post by trixster
Do you get a single room to yourself in the student accommodation? and then have a shared/kitchen bathroom? is there and option of having unsuite bathrooms?

Does anyone have a TV or is there no point?

You get quite a big room with two single beds in it so ppl shove them together to make a double. There is then a shared kitchen and shower room - no option for ensuite, they dont exist. And no point having TVs, there are ways to stream TV from home so people do that.
Original post by Christophski
Well everyone, hows the form!! Just wondering if there is any videos or good pictures of this place? Im currently in 3rd level in ireland, loving it but veterinary is still niggling away at me!! This place sounds deadly!

There's a video on you tube about the place - the links posted somewhere in this thread. Sorry but you're gonna have to find it yourself cos i dont have the time to go digging for it! but i know its here somewhere!
Reply 998
You get quite a big room with two single beds in it so ppl shove them together to make a double. There is then a shared kitchen and shower room - no option for ensuite, they dont exist. And no point having TVs, there are ways to stream TV from home so people do that.

How many are the kitchens/bathrooms shared between? also how many showers/toilets are there per person -- don't say one between 8 or something! :eek:

Thanks. :smile:
There's a video on you tube about the place - the links posted somewhere in this thread. Sorry but you're gonna have to find it yourself cos i dont have the time to go digging for it! but i know its here somewhere!

no boder, cheers!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending