The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pirate007

A taxi is about 70 euros i think (the price seems to change everytime). If it was me doing the journey, I would get a bus from the airport into the city and get to Keleti Train Station, were a train runs straight to Kosice at 6:30am (i think), and 6:30pm, for 20 euros for a return ticket.
Lizzie got the taxi for €35 and it does say on their website that it's 35 now so maybe that's changed.
Original post by Nicky.B
I can send you a copy of my C.V if you want?

yes please :smile: by PM? or do you want my email? thanks
Original post by HannahUVM
Lizzie got the taxi for €35 and it does say on their website that it's 35 now so maybe that's changed.

Wow 30euros for them driving 6 hours, i dont think that will even cover petrol! Bargs. Hopefully it has got cheaper then, dono why it cost Nikki 90, bit of a rip off. I swear they just make it up. Their business must have sky rocketed - why am i not studying ahhhhhhhhhh
Kosice sounds like somewhere I may be able to consider studying as it seems the UK universities won't give me the time of day.

What are the entrance exams like? Basically ensuring I'd have A level knowledge in biology and chemistry? Also, how did you guys fund going there? I'm pretty poor and would most definitely need to rely on a student loan/scholarship/anything :frown:

EDIT: According to this website I was directed to from directgov: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/education/university/fees/index_en.htm

Because I'm an EU citizen I'm entitled to the same grants a Slovakian student would be entitled to but would that include things like student loans?

Thanks to whoever answers this :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
my post seems to have disappeared :s-smilie:

just wondering how those of you who are studying here funded it? After some brief reading, it seems as though because Slovakia is in the EU, a student would be entitled to the same loans/grants as a Slovakian student, is this true? If not, how did you guys fund studying here?

Cheers in advance :smile:
Original post by spunkypunk
my post seems to have disappeared :s-smilie:

just wondering how those of you who are studying here funded it? After some brief reading, it seems as though because Slovakia is in the EU, a student would be entitled to the same loans/grants as a Slovakian student, is this true? If not, how did you guys fund studying here?

Cheers in advance :smile:

Nope, absolutely no funding, people borrow from family and banks mainly i think.
Oh that sucks... but thanks for your response. I see my original post re-emerged lol.
Oh that sucks... but thanks for your response. I see my original post re-emerged lol.

Did you say you're a vet nurse? so youve got a degree already? If so, then you dont need to sit the entrance exam and the grad course is only 4 years long
I'm not a qualified veterinary nurse sadly, I was just trained up to the level and ready to start my formal studying but I left that job for some personal reasons, so not at that practice anymore.

I wouldn't mind doing the 6 year course, my main issue would be financing it. Do you know if there's perhaps a scholarship I could apply for?
I'm not a qualified veterinary nurse sadly, I was just trained up to the level and ready to start my formal studying but I left that job for some personal reasons, so not at that practice anymore.

I wouldn't mind doing the 6 year course, my main issue would be financing it. Do you know if there's perhaps a scholarship I could apply for?

I actually have a slovak nationality through my mum, and don't get any discount or anything off let alone free. I've been told the only way would be for me to study in slovak, which I can't do (and don't want to xD), my slovak is just about enough for conversation. My mum asked the vice-rector about scholarships or just anything which would lower the price at least a little and she said there wasn't anything :s. She said it was a private uni if you do it internationally and therefore they don't do it. You could always try emailing but I think chances are pretty slim.
Best bet would be to borrow it from a family member if you can :smile:
My family is small and quite poor, so they can't really help :frown: I'm really confused by the international student stance now as I know for a fact EU students can come to England and get a student loan but English students can't do the same in the EU... that's not very fair. Looks like I'm not going to be going to Kosice :frown:
It's because we arent doing the regular slovak course. If you could speak slovak and do that then it would be free. Like siamese kitten said, its because it's more like a private university for us.
It's a bit of a grey area really and we spoke to the british ambassador about it but basically we would rather not rock the boat. We are getting a vet degree out of it and they wouldn't teach us here in English if we weren't paying so we deal with it.
Oh and I don't think the slovaks get loans since they don't even have to pay for tuition at all. Maybe they do for accomodation though.
You can always take a year or two and work and try writing to people for funding and looking into bank loans. There's ways to pay if you're persistent.
I was just about to state the same as Hannah_UVM. The reason is just that - you are taught in English. This applies to all the Eastern vet schools. If you were on the Slovak course, then you would be entitled to pay the same as the Slovaks, which as stated above is nothing. You will have to learn the language or pay up. On a side note, why do you think you would be entitled to a scholarship? There are a lot of top-class students from poor families who don't get scholarships. From what I've read you grades at secondary school aren't too impressive. Veterinary is extremely competitive. I'm not being mean, just pointing out the fact you shouldn't rely on scholarships to finance your studies. If you need too take a year or two out and save as much as you can. Where there's a will there's a way.
I never said I was entitled to a scholarship... was merely enquiring as to whether there were any available I could apply for since that'd be my only option. Even if the course is being taught in English, it seems very shady that the UK happily allows all EU students take out loans here (nobody gets it free in England) and it's not a two way street for the UK students. Baring in mind, a lot of countries around the world are at least taught basic English from a young age, so have an advantage there that they can come here and know the language, whereas it's highly unlikely I'd be taught Slovak... there's absolutely no way in heaven I could take a year or two out as you say to save money, I'd still not even come close to the 6 years worth of fees and everything on top.

I'm quite aware my grades at school were mediocre at best but I certainly have a lot of experience most candidates won't have, but as I've concluded rather quickly, it's all about education, so I'll strengthen that area.

But thanks anyway, was worth looking into but I think I'll take my chances in England.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1195
I'd imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that the funding thing works in a similar way to universities in the US. International students, and students from out of state pay large tuition fees there while students who go to state universities pay a little less. Bear in mind as well that in Slovakia they are teaching this course specifically in English, which they don't have to do at all, and presumably will not get a lot of government funding for. So they have to charge people the fees. We are very fortunate in this country that we have a student loans system for home students, but I can't ever see them funding someone to study abroad because they won't directly see the benefit.
I understand what you're saying now I've had a think about it. It's just frustrating that I'm fairly certain I could get a place I just don't have the financial means to.
Reply 1197
Original post by pirate007
Ryanair is going to start flying from Birmingham to Budapest in March - this will make my life so much easier :smile:
Anyone know what the best way to get from Budapest to Kosice is now that Malev have gone bust? Any cheapish taxis that can be booked in advance?

Brilliant! I am about 50 miles from Birmingham, so this is great for me too! Did it say how much the flight might be?
Original post by Nicky.B
Brilliant! I am about 50 miles from Birmingham, so this is great for me too! Did it say how much the flight might be?

No, but theyre usually roughly around £50 before you add bags :-)
Original post by Nicky.B

I'm about 50 miles from Birmingham as well this will be soo much easier than having to go to a London airport! At the moment the flights look to be about £36 before you add bags :smile: I think I might have to buy quite a big of baggage allowance to get everything out there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending