The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Hey that's great thank's a mill! I'm also curious as to whether the lecturers are mostly from Slovakia and what the standard of English is like?
Original post by fblawns
Hey that's great thank's a mill! I'm also curious as to whether the lecturers are mostly from Slovakia and what the standard of English is like?

The lecturers are all slovak. Their level of english really depends. Im not going to lie, some really are not good, but others are brilliant. It seems like you get better english as you get into later years. However, saying that i've been through nearly the whole system and their level of english hasn't really affected me.
some are really good and some are not good at all. The slovak teacher is great but not for a subject where i need english to be awsome. genetics guy is really hard to understand sometimes also depends on your level of genetic understanding though, if good at it you prob will undertand him better if that makes any sense. latin woman cant speak english that well but doesnt matter really. Im sure in time you would get used to it. Im only in my first semester of year one, so yet to get used to it :P
Hi everyone, just wondering if ye could help me out here! I'm currently in 2nd year of an animal science degree course. If I transferred to Kosice am I entitled to a shorter course, or is that just for degree holders? Also is there a brochure with information I could download anywhere, the website seems to be under maintenance! Any help from ye would be great!
Original post by Christophski
Hi everyone, just wondering if ye could help me out here! I'm currently in 2nd year of an animal science degree course. If I transferred to Kosice am I entitled to a shorter course, or is that just for degree holders? Also is there a brochure with information I could download anywhere, the website seems to be under maintenance! Any help from ye would be great!

No you need to either complete your animal science degree or be transferring from a vet med degree in order to go on the shorter course. If you dont complete your degree you will have to do the 6 year course. No brochure no, Kosice isnt that high tech :biggrin: I hadnt even seen the place when i moved here for 4 years!
How are those who have started enjoying it so far? I am really jealous!
Original post by tigercallie
No you need to either complete your animal science degree or be transferring from a vet med degree in order to go on the shorter course. If you dont complete your degree you will have to do the 6 year course. No brochure no, Kosice isnt that high tech :biggrin: I hadnt even seen the place when i moved here for 4 years!

I find the website really hard to navigate!
Do you know of an international admissions tutor I can email?
Thanks!
Original post by HannahUVM
Yes you have to fund everything yourself. The dorms are 111 euros per month and you don't pay when you aren't there so that saves money over the summer. Food is a bit cheaper than in the UK but not vastly. There arent really too many other costs apart from going out etc.

Me again! (sorry!)
just wondered does UVM Kosice offer deferred entry as the uni's do over here?
I plan on taking a gap year after i finish my current degree (animal bio - 2nd year). So it would be nice to know I had a place and that I was working to pay for that place rather than turning down Phd opportunities etc, working for a year and then getting a rejection :frown:
Anyone else notice the website doesn't seem to open anymore :/
It says it doesn't exist!?
Reply 1609
Hey all!

Great thread, I've spent the last 3 days on and off reading through the whole thing and saving snippets of it to evernote for future reference (especially the details on how far the ski slopes are, haha!). Seriously guys, what an amazing reference, thank you!

Is anyone else already planning on applying come January? Same story as a lot of you, I'm already a Zoology grad so the UK is pretty much out of bounds, not that I'm at all bothered (read: I'm insanely happy) about being in Slovakia for 4 years!

So anyway, I found out about UVM Kosice from a vet from Yorkshire that was working at the abattoir adjoined to a veterinary laboratory I was working for in Malta. He had done his degree at UVM, and only had nice things to say about it. He's managed to become fluent in Slovak whilst he was there as well, so it can be done. He said that that it made communicating with pet owners a lot easier, so in the end he got better grades, haha (he was a bit of a bragger though, tbh!!). Working at the lab was also a Slovak girl who had done the Canine Studies course (in Slovak though, not English), and again, rated the uni really highly. Her boyfriend had done the Slovak vet course there too, but I didn't meet him.

Glad to have found you all here, and hopefully will be seeing some of you in the future :biggrin: Best of luck to the 2012 freshers, lucky sods!
Reply 1610
Original post by faith16120
Anyone else notice the website doesn't seem to open anymore :/
It says it doesn't exist!?

I think it's probably down for maintenance, it was working fine yesterday :s-smilie:
I started this year and am loving it :smile: Got a diary at www.vetschooldiary.com if you want more depth into the kind of things that happen in lectures! :tongue: I came out here without visiting first and my only regret is that I can't get mature cheddar cheese here.....

As for the culture over here, it is amazing, people are so friendly etc

Don't think they do defered entry afaik, and its getting more popular so going start getting more competitive to get in so apply early etc :smile:
Original post by crocmadchris
I started this year and am loving it :smile: Got a diary at www.vetschooldiary.com if you want more depth into the kind of things that happen in lectures! :tongue: I came out here without visiting first and my only regret is that I can't get mature cheddar cheese here.....

As for the culture over here, it is amazing, people are so friendly etc

Don't think they do defered entry afaik, and its getting more popular so going start getting more competitive to get in so apply early etc :smile:

Hey :smile:
I think I found one of your videos when I google UVM Kosice!
Ill have a good look through soon.
What year are you in?
I'm second year at the moment, and would need to save up for at least 2 years of working so I hope it doesn't get too popular :frown:
Reply 1613
I'm 5th year veterinary student on erasmus in Kosice. I'm looking for a room to rent, asap. Please write if You or Your friends have any room to share. Thanks.
Original post by Marek
I'm 5th year veterinary student on erasmus in Kosice. I'm looking for a room to rent, asap. Please write if You or Your friends have any room to share. Thanks.

Hey, I think you'll do a lot better asking on the Facebook groups;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/110037255701165/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/195258733851591/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/344238938944943/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/201687259850275/
Reply 1615
Hello, I am going to do my A-levels before veterinary medicine in Europe. I was wondering do Europe vetschools like kosice require work experience of how many days or weeks for entry. I'm currently doing voluntary work at my local wildlife conservation centre in Malaysia but I'm not sure is it the type of work experience needed?
Original post by Jzhonex
Hello, I am going to do my A-levels before veterinary medicine in Europe. I was wondering do Europe vetschools like kosice require work experience of how many days or weeks for entry. I'm currently doing voluntary work at my local wildlife conservation centre in Malaysia but I'm not sure is it the type of work experience needed?

Nope, you don't need work experience for entry :smile:
Reply 1617
Nope, you don't need work experience for entry :smile:
Ok I will remember that but anyway I will still do some workexperience just to get myself prepare for this and kill some time. Is it better to get an A-levels first or apply directly for the veterinary medicine course? I heard that the entrance exam is all based on the A-levels.
Original post by Jzhonex
Ok I will remember that but anyway I will still do some workexperience just to get myself prepare for this and kill some time. Is it better to get an A-levels first or apply directly for the veterinary medicine course? I heard that the entrance exam is all based on the A-levels.

You need the A levels, either have them already before you apply or have them before you start in september, but you cannot start the course without the A levels (or an equivalent from your country).
Reply 1619
You need the A levels, either have them already before you apply or have them before you start in september, but you cannot start the course without the A levels (or an equivalent from your country).
Ok, so I have to wait 2 more years :frown:. I just couldn't wait to enter the course.Is there a requirement for the A-levels results?Like what grade do I need and minimum subjects taken?Btw what year are you in now? are you finishing soon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending