The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

hi, I've been trying to make my way through this thread all day and only managed to get about half way through it!:rolleyes: I'm considering applying to Kosice in 2015 for the six year course, along with the UK vet schools. I just have a few questions as I have no idea how to navigate the UVM site. How do you apply, what is the process and the requirements? How many exams does the course involve, and does my degree depend on the results I get in the exams? When I get back to the UK will I have to register with RCVS? Is their any work with exotics throughout the course? When are term times, like when will I be able to go home etc? Also what is the cost of the course yearly? I'm sorry for so many questions but any advice would be great thanks!:smile:
Original post by tigercallie
Well so far, everyone here who has done it and is graduating in a couple of months did;

1. Notorisation
2. Apostille
3. Bring back to Slovakia and give to the office staff
4. Await office staff telling us where to go to get it translated...still waiting on this part!

Whether they're going to do it differently for new people I'm not sure, but the Apostille is an EU recognised stamp (something about the Hague Convention), so I don't see why translation after stamping would be a problem. It's certainly the way I'm doing it!

Heya sorry to barge in but I'm having trouble too on the website it does appear to state it needs to be apostillsed in slovak too :frown: Im sure I read that a year or two ago on the thread ppl were just sending in photocopies of their a levels lol! Iv contacted some solicitors and will await prices :frown: anyone had any luck getting them anywhere cheaper? Tigercallie must we send them in the post with our application then? Also there is not a clear address (name/department) to send application to do you know what it is?

:smile: Abby
Reply 1782
Hi everyone! I'm going to be joining in with this thread more now because I've just been rejected from the RVC for the second time. :frown: Kosice is my last hope!
Hope I have time to sort my application out for the end of May. I've been dithering over doing it because I wanted to wait until I had my RVC decision.
Reply 1783
Original post by abbylaski
Heya sorry to barge in but I'm having trouble too on the website it does appear to state it needs to be apostillsed in slovak too :frown: Im sure I read that a year or two ago on the thread ppl were just sending in photocopies of their a levels lol! Iv contacted some solicitors and will await prices :frown: anyone had any luck getting them anywhere cheaper? Tigercallie must we send them in the post with our application then? Also there is not a clear address (name/department) to send application to do you know what it is?

:smile: Abby

1. Applications are now done by email primarily it seems. I sent all my files in .pdf format (except the photo, which was a .jpg), and was accepted fine. The full list of documents is in the email I quoted a few pages back on this thread.

2. I asked if it was ok for me to follow up my application with apostilled documents at a later date, and didn't receive an answer, only they said they'd be contacting me soon to say whether or not I have gained a place (not heard yet).

3. I followed up with an email about which order to get the documents apostilled and translated (see mine and Tigercallie's posts above) but haven't received an answer yet. That's usual, it does sometimes take a few weeks to get a response.

4. Applications are sent to: [email protected] by regular mail to:
University of veterinary medicine and pharmacy in Kosice
Office for foreign and postgraduate studies
Komenského 73
041 81 Košice
Slovak republic

5. I'll post back here as soon as I receive a reply r.e. Appostille/Translation.

Sorry about the super-arsey bullet point answer!! It's been a hideous day at work and I can't string a proper sentence together :P Bring on the bank holiday weekend :biggrin:

Original post by Loosy
Hi everyone! I'm going to be joining in with this thread more now because I've just been rejected from the RVC for the second time. :frown: Kosice is my last hope!
Hope I have time to sort my application out for the end of May. I've been dithering over doing it because I wanted to wait until I had my RVC decision.

Are you applying for the 4-year Loosy? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, just a few questions about the accommodation:
1. Can you paint/decorate the dorm rooms?
2. Can you have any pets e.g. cat, goldfish etc...
3. How many people do you generally share a bathroom with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1785
Original post by UponACrescendo

1. From posts on this thread.. they've let people in the past.
2. Again, they've let people in the past, but as a rule, no.
3. No idea!

I'd been meaning to ask, Tigercallie.. didn't you say a while ago you had some photos of the accommodation?

Edit to add:

Try using the 'search thread' function at the top of the page (when viewing from a web browser, I know you posted from the app just now, UponACrescendo :wink: ). I just tried it and found answers about the accommodation that way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1786
Original post by luinecu

Are you applying for the 4-year Loosy? :smile:

Hopefully! But my previous degree is in zoology and from lurking on the thread I know there's some question about whether that will be accepted this year. Fingers crossed!
Original post by luinecu
1. From posts on this thread.. they've let people in the past.
2. Again, they've let people in the past, but as a rule, no.
3. No idea!

I'd been meaning to ask, Tigercallie.. didn't you say a while ago you had some photos of the accommodation?

Edit to add:

Try using the 'search thread' function at the top of the page (when viewing from a web browser, I know you posted from the app just now, UponACrescendo :wink: ). I just tried it and found answers about the accommodation that way.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1788
Original post by Loosy
Hopefully! But my previous degree is in zoology and from lurking on the thread I know there's some question about whether that will be accepted this year. Fingers crossed!

I'm a zoology grad too :rolleyes: I'm sorry to hear about RVC, the competition is just too hideous to comprehend. Kosice as a rule seems to be far less competitive when it comes to getting in, they just weed you out when you get there! :eek:
Reply 1789
Is there actually a minimum grade needed for graduate entry at Kosice like the UK?
Original post by UponACrescendo

1. Yes definitely. Pretty much everyone does unless you're lucky enough to get a room that was lovingly decorated by someone that just left
2. Technically no but people do have cats.
3. You share with the rest of your corridor which is 8-10 people. There are a couple of loos and a couple of showers per bathroom.
Reply 1791
I have one quick random question if anyone can help!
Do you have to pay for prescriptions out there? I'm on thyroxine which I pick up once a month. I don't know whether I'd be able to stock up at home and get a few month's worth at a time or if I'd have to transfer my repeat prescription to Slovakia somehow. I'm exempt from prescription charges in the UK so I'll be miffed if I have to start paying, lol.

ETA: Another question! Do I need to send all of my A level certificates in my application or is it purely to show I finished school? The reason I ask is I retook A level chemistry last year to get an A (for my application to the UK unis) and I'm having trouble finding the certificate! EDIT: Never mind, I was actually never sent the certificate so I collected it today!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi! Im a second year student studying Zoology. I really dont think I will get into any vet unis in England due to my bad A-levels I have a few questions about Kosice
- How much would it be altogether for the 4 year course? Can you get a loan or do you pay termly?
- Are there any entry requirements?
- Would it be easy to get empolyability in the UK with this degree?
- How many English students are out there and how hard is the entrance exam?
Sorry if these have been covered already in the thread
Reply 1793
Original post by benson2081
Hi! Im a second year student studying Zoology. I really dont think I will get into any vet unis in England due to my bad A-levels I have a few questions about Kosice
- How much would it be altogether for the 4 year course? Can you get a loan or do you pay termly?
- Are there any entry requirements?
- Would it be easy to get empolyability in the UK with this degree?
- How many English students are out there and how hard is the entrance exam?
Sorry if these have been covered already in the thread

Your best bet is to use the search function or read this thread in its entirety, everything is covered :smile:

4 years currantly works out about £50,000 including living costs, do bare in mind fees are likely to increase a little as this has been a trend in the last few years. This is also I believe based on living in the uni's student accomodation, as prices are far more dear for private lets. No loans are avaliable. Most fund by borrowing from parents/family.

Entry requirement is an undergraduate degree in a relivant subject, but there has been some question lately as to whether a zoology degree will be considered good enough. Many of us (myself included) are concerned we will have to do 5 years instead of 4, but this has not happened in the past and has yet to be confirmed.

You will be licenced to work in the EU, including the UK. You would be just as qualified as a UK vet grad, and should be regarded in much the same way. There are no further exams to take after graduation in order to practice in the UK.

From what others have said, there are quite a few British students each year. I'm an applicant, so I don't know numbers for you.

Grad applicants do not usually have to sit the entrance exam, unless the suitibility of their degree is in question. As there has never been exams for grad-level before, there's no standard to say how difficult such an exam would be.

Hope that helps!! x
Reply 1794
I have my application pretty much sorted, except the notarisation and apostille. I'm hopefully going to send it all off on Tuesday. Has everyone else sent theirs without the apostille etc? I feel like it will take ages to sort out and I just want to get my application sent!

Also, all my doctor wrote on the medical part of the form was "no restrictions" and obviously a signature and stamp. Is that enough? I'm pretty annoyed because it cost me £20!
Reply 1795
Original post by Loosy
I have my application pretty much sorted, except the notarisation and apostille. I'm hopefully going to send it all off on Tuesday. Has everyone else sent theirs without the apostille etc? I feel like it will take ages to sort out and I just want to get my application sent!

Also, all my doctor wrote on the medical part of the form was "no restrictions" and obviously a signature and stamp. Is that enough? I'm pretty annoyed because it cost me £20!

Ooh, fab! :biggrin:

I sent mine without translation/apostille, and they didn't flag it up at all.. I just wrote a note in the email to say that I would follow up with it shortly, although since I'm still unsure whether to translate then apostille, or apostille then translate I haven't done so yet.

The doctor's note will be fine.. mine did the same. TBH I was ok about the money, but only because the receptionist said it was going to be between £35 to £125 only to charge me £10 in the end :redface:

Could you post if they give you a reply with how long it's going to take to find out if you have a place? I was told 2 weeks, but that was up a week and a half ago! It's Easter and conference season now anyway, so I doubt we'll hear for a few weeks at least, but I still can't help myself from compulsively checking my email!
Reply 1796
Original post by luinecu
Ooh, fab! :biggrin:

I sent mine without translation/apostille, and they didn't flag it up at all.. I just wrote a note in the email to say that I would follow up with it shortly, although since I'm still unsure whether to translate then apostille, or apostille then translate I haven't done so yet.

The doctor's note will be fine.. mine did the same. TBH I was ok about the money, but only because the receptionist said it was going to be between £35 to £125 only to charge me £10 in the end :redface:

Could you post if they give you a reply with how long it's going to take to find out if you have a place? I was told 2 weeks, but that was up a week and a half ago! It's Easter and conference season now anyway, so I doubt we'll hear for a few weeks at least, but I still can't help myself from compulsively checking my email!

I'll definitely post when I hear anything!
I hope we don't have to wait too long. The wait for my RVC decision nearly killed me off already :rolleyes:
Original post by Loosy
I'll definitely post when I hear anything!
I hope we don't have to wait too long. The wait for my RVC decision nearly killed me off already :rolleyes:

Me too I know what you mean! I will send mine off too once I can grab a hold of my doctor, without the apostille and notary. Let us know what
happens!

:smile:
Reply 1798
Application sent! :biggrin:
I'll let everyone know when I hear anything.
Reply 1799
The Official Word on Apostilles!!

1. Apostille first (so have notarized by a notary public locally, then send off to have apostilled by gov office in Milton Keynes), then translate to Slovak after.

2. They'll translate the apostilled documents for you in Slovakia when you get there. It costs ~24Euros per page.

3. All of these documents aren't required until you arrive in Kosice. (though include A-level certs with your application)

--------------------------------

Hope that helps!! :biggrin:

Also, have just found out that they won't be making decisions until May now, and will officially inform us then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending