The Student Room Group

An example of why working class people can almost NEVER get into top/good jobs !!!

I've recently been approached to work in the field that I have wanted to work in all my life. Its on the weekend but its unpaid, but, an absolutely amazing oppurtunity.

I'm in college at the moment, so it really is getting some experience really really early on in my life.

But, I have a part-time retail job on the weekends which gives me around £320 every month for travel and all the other studenty things we need to buy. Theres no way I could do both as the days clash !

There is no way I can cope without at least some of the money that I earn at the moment and my family cannot support me with the expenses I have. So I have no option except to continue with my part time job and miss a great oppurtunity.

It just seems impossible to break the mould really, even when I finish university, I will probably have to work for at least six months unpaid until I get a proper job. That really wont be able to happen :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry to hear it.
Sometimes one must make sacrifices for one's future, is there no option of taking out a loan or borrowing some money from your family, whilst gaining this un-paid experience for a few months?
Can't you look for a job at nights? I do feel for you, but there's always a way :smile:
Reply 4
arsenal111
I've recently been approached to work in the field that I have wanted to work in all my life. Its on the weekend but its unpaid, but, an absolutely amazing oppurtunity.

I'm in college at the moment, so it really is getting some experience really really early on in my life.

But, I have a part-time retail job on the weekends which gives me around £320 every month for travel and all the other studenty things we need to buy. Theres no way I could do both as the days clash !

There is no way I can cope without at least some of the money that I earn at the moment and my family cannot support me with the expenses I have. So I have no option except to continue with my part time job and miss a great oppurtunity.

It just seems impossible to break the mould really, even when I finish university, I will probably have to work for at least six months unpaid until I get a proper job. That really wont be able to happen :frown:

You don't get EMA?
Reply 5
Change the hours you work..
Reply 6
whats this got to do with social class? what about night jobs?

frankly i'd be happy that you even have a job, especially in these times.
Reply 7
I thought this thread was going to consist of a posh boy slagging off poor people.
O_RLY?
I thought this thread was going to consist of a posh boy slagging off poor people.

me too actually got myself all fired up to bash some posh tit back lol

what has class got to do with it
Reply 9
See you in the city?

Oh wait whoops lol.
hold on - the government/support from university to low income kids is actually astounding - way more than my so called high income parents - the government gives you far more than my parents could possibly give me.

Its people like me who are stuck in the middle who always get the bum deal. I am classed in the same bracket as parents earning £100k, £1m, £5m a year. The banding in means tested financial support seriously needs to be looked at - aswell as the support given to kids where their parents are split up and they dont take into account one parents income.
Reply 11
eulerwaswrong
hold on - the government/support from university to low income kids is actually astounding - way more than my so called high income parents - the government gives you far more than my parents could possibly give me.

Its people like me who are stuck in the middle who always get the bum deal. I am classed in the same bracket as parents earning £100k, £1m, £5m a year. The banding in means tested financial support seriously needs to be looked at - aswell as the support given to kids where their parents are split up and they dont take into account one parents income.

i agree, although.. i am eligible for certain grants and bursaries, it's still going to be tough to get by because even though my mother and stepfather are in the slightly higher tax bracket, it doesn't mean they have a higher net income and that i get any of their money.
silverbolt
me too actually got myself all fired up to bash some posh tit back lol

what has class got to do with it

I'll bait you if it makes you feel better, well not bait but hopefully give you something to discuss.

In all seriousness though I can understand the OPs point, I can't see a fair way to get round it either, however...

I was pondering this the other night, class mobillity, ones aims in life etc and I came up with the following line of thought.

(I'm sharing this as you may find it interesting if you are of a power to the lower class view, not because I think its right, or I think it should be done, I'm just being very honest in the hope you can see why perhaps things are as they are and what would have to be changed for things to progress)

I regard the main aim of ones time alive to give your kids the best possible start in life,
- which translates into giving them the most unfair advantage over everyone elses kids
-which tends to be expensive in order to minimise risk of missing things.

Now, if one prevents the lower class from educating their kids, and providing opportunities this greatly reduces the competition.
-thus there is a negative incentive to improve things and allow greater oppertunity.

Wealth again is very relative, leading to benefits of keeping the lower class down.

Assuming the lower class however share the view that getting ones kids into a better position than you got is the name of the game...
- surely its better to have limited downwards mobility but make it possible to go up (as it roughly is these days, and grammar schools improve) than to have a system of free movement. It may be harder to make things good for your kids, but if you do their kids have a better chance of reaping the benefits etc.

Things I don't understand however which need to be added to the model
-Inverse snobbery, its like some kind of socioeconomic self harm, it confuses me.
-Anti elitism in education.
-Had I ended up at the local comp and not done that well I'd have got a private tutor
-If you have grammar schools yes 65% of the students would have done very well anyway due to tutors and private schooling, but that 35% get a shot at moving up rather than nobody from that group (again this inverse snobbery thing appears)
- Luckilly society seems to have moved on from the one job for a man for life, but I really don't understand that.
- This idea of community and staying in one place driving people to accept a worse lot. Again in my experience this is very much a lower class thing.

Once again, I don't mean to insult anyone with the above, its an honest reflection on my upbringing and what I've seen of this whole class thing.
Reply 13
Bagration
See you in the city?

Oh wait whoops lol.

See you in Kings you ****
arsenal111
See you in Kings you ****
L O L
I've had personal experience like this; I'd love to do work experience and internships in the fields I'm particularly interested, but I'm stymied by the fact that neither I nor my family have the necessary capital to support my doing unpaid work for an extended period of time. However, it's not because we're working class; in fact, we're probably upper-middle in terms of income and lifestyle. Location also comes into it; if my family were rich they could afford to put me up somewhere other than our home to do work, but even if they weren't if I lived there in the first place it'd be entirely accessible.

There are definitely problems with this sort of thing, but I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on social class, and even with those issues, there are still pathways available if you absolutely can't figure something out.
Reply 16
I think the 'class' thing was probably a bad description. Maybe wages or income would be a better term !!
Op, are you really suggesting that not doing long-term work experience whilst in college will prevent you from getting a good job?

Simply untrue. You have every opportunity in the world to do such experience whilst at uni; and you have every opportunity to get a top job despite not being able to do some work experience (its really not that important anyway...)
Reply 18
jacketpotato
Op, are you really suggesting that not doing long-term work experience whilst in college will prevent you from getting a good job?

Simply untrue. You have every opportunity in the world to do such experience whilst at uni; and you have every opportunity to get a top job despite not being able to do some work experience (its really not that important anyway...)

No of course not, but, this is the biggest oppurtunity ever. I dont want to reveal what it is. But it is really major. I think there will be other chances but not as big as this one. I just find it a bit unfair that someone with parents who earn a bit more would be able to take this up.
so the point is that you literally can't afford to get this job?

How does that demonstrate how a working-class person cannot get a top job?

Latest

Trending

Trending