The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

arsenal111
No of course not, but, this is the biggest oppurtunity ever. I dont want to reveal what it is. But it is really major. I think there will be other chances but not as big as this one. I just find it a bit unfair that someone with parents who earn a bit more would be able to take this up.

Looking at it from the other angle, its completely unfair that someone who hasn't even finished his A-levels yet should get an opportunity like this when everybody else has to work hard through college, uni and beyond to get anything approaching such an opportunity - so don't feel too hard done by!!!
Reply 21
mancsmithsfan
so the point is that you literally can't afford to get this job?

How does that demonstrate how a working-class person cannot get a top job?

It's not that they cannot get a top job, but it is much harder with a low-earning family when it comes to unpaid work and work experience where their family cannot support them financially.
terpineol

I regard the main aim of ones time alive to give your kids the best possible start in life,
- which translates into giving them the most unfair advantage over everyone elses kids
-which tends to be expensive in order to minimise risk of missing things.

agreed on that point but what of those who dont have/want kids? what of them, but it is a seemingly natural part of human nature to want to screw someone over for the betterment of your own. This could well be a trait of the upper classes though the lower (and i use the term very reluctantly) tend to be more direct about thus giving the impression that somnehow the working classes are thick

terpineol
Now, if one prevents the lower class from educating their kids, and providing opportunities this greatly reduces the competition.
-thus there is a negative incentive to improve things and allow greater oppertunity.

Wealth again is very relative, leading to benefits of keeping the lower class down.

Again i agree there is a definite incentive in keeping the poorer class down as it removes the competition? How many extreemly intelligent people (more intelligent than thier more wealthier counterparts) are left behind due a lack of funds and a lack of social standings of them

terpineol
Assuming the lower class however share the view that getting ones kids into a better position than you got is the name of the game...
- surely its better to have limited downwards mobility but make it possible to go up (as it roughly is these days, and grammar schools improve) than to have a system of free movement. It may be harder to make things good for your kids, but if you do their kids have a better chance of reaping the benefits etc.

Not always true, there are those amongst the working class (chav scum) who ahve no aspirations and deliver that unto their children) But yes it would be better if all were on an equal level but seeing as that would benefit the poor people and give nothing to the richer people it wont happen

terpineol
Things I don't understand however which need to be added to the model
-Inverse snobbery, its like some kind of socioeconomic self harm, it confuses me.
-Anti elitism in education.
-Had I ended up at the local comp and not done that well I'd have got a private tutor
-If you have grammar schools yes 65% of the students would have done very well anyway due to tutors and private schooling, but that 35% get a shot at moving up rather than nobody from that group (again this inverse snobbery thing appears)
- Luckilly society seems to have moved on from the one job for a man for life, but I really don't understand that.
- This idea of community and staying in one place driving people to accept a worse lot. Again in my experience this is very much a lower class thing.

Once again, I don't mean to insult anyone with the above, its an honest reflection on my upbringing and what I've seen of this whole class thing.

of which money comes into the fore, snobbery eliteism even a tutor all come down from money.

I think it also comes down to how you view success. My friend is very middle class and views sucess only coming from the acquisition of wealth, it all boils down to money. If that is truly what success is then he is not a success as he is working in a call centre (and technically im his manager). I however though i admit as much as id like to be will never be rich but i can be sucessfull in other ways.

i wont bash you for you gave an arguement not an insult, which is what some upper class TSRians seem to think is a decent arguement

and rep coming your way
silverbolt
agreed on that point but what of those who dont have/want kids? what of them, but it is a seemingly natural part of human nature to want to screw someone over for the betterment of your own. This could well be a trait of the upper classes though the lower (and i use the term very reluctantly) tend to be more direct about thus giving the impression that somnehow the working classes are thick

Again i agree there is a definite incentive in keeping the poorer class down as it removes the competition? How many extreemly intelligent people (more intelligent than thier more wealthier counterparts) are left behind due a lack of funds and a lack of social standings of them

Not always true, there are those amongst the working class (chav scum) who ahve no aspirations and deliver that unto their children) But yes it would be better if all were on an equal level but seeing as that would benefit the poor people and give nothing to the richer people it wont happen

of which money comes into the fore, snobbery eliteism even a tutor all come down from money.

I think it also comes down to how you view success. My friend is very middle class and views sucess only coming from the acquisition of wealth, it all boils down to money. If that is truly what success is then he is not a success as he is working in a call centre (and technically im his manager). I however though i admit as much as id like to be will never be rich but i can be sucessfull in other ways.

i wont bash you for you gave an arguement not an insult, which is what some upper class TSRians seem to think is a decent arguement

and rep coming your way

Cheers, I shall rep you tomorrow, its great to find someone to debate these things with without it turning into a poo throwing match.

As much as I would love to spend my years seeing the world and trying to do what good I can for the world I can't get past this feeling that one should leave something behind for your kin when its all done.

Its a strange conundrum I guess, perhaps class is more about the attitude of the parent than the financial backing.

I had a school mate who had a bit of an accident. He's from a very well off background but now has two kids. He's training as a financial advisor, living in a council house with his wife, but still spends almost every waking moment either at work to pay for the kids, or teaching them to read etc, I would hope that they work out well. If he never earns more than 15k a year I could see him sacrificing every little luxury to ensure his kids get every opportunity he can squeeze for them educationally.

Latest

Trending

Trending