The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tayalouise
Comic Relief has been going for over 20 years now, and Africa is still in an awful mess

We should probably just give up then.
its meant to be stupid =D

and anything that raises money for a good cause is not 'stupid' in my eyes regardless if there was a betetr way or not.

and im fairly comfortable saying that if half the people making a fuss were celebsthey wouldnot be quick to donate large amounts of thier money.
Reply 42
this comin relief stuff has been going on for weeks, anyone would think this money was going to save the world. alot of celebs have been involved and icant help thinking it would have been alot easier if they just gave the money themselves, particuarly people like sir alan sugar and daivd beckham. some of them dont realise that giving their money would be alot more valuable than their time!...but of course no one would know if they gave loads of money would they????? (self-promotion)
I was feeling really guilty last night as I thought about how angry comic relief was making me. It seriously made me feel a bit sick watching all those celebrities, not the fact that they weren't giving money, more the fact that they are all incredibly annoying individuals with huge egos (Fern Britton was particularly irritating, even Graham Norton annoyed me a little bit and I usually like him). Simon Cowell was the only one I liked watching - he actually does give a lot of money to charity.

It's sad that it takes this sort of thing to get people to donate money but lets face it, for the rest of the two years the majority of the public completely forget about people less fortunate than themselves and spend their time wrapped up in their own problems. Personally I'd rather give money to charity at any other time than comic relief just because it pisses me off and I don't like having it shoved in my face everywhere I have been for the past 2 weeks. But it motivates a lot of people to give money and it raises a lot and loads of people have fun and also enjoy it. Whilst the celebrities COULD probably donate more money than is raised I don't think that's the sole purpose of it, it also draws attention to the problems in the world today AND people enjoy giving money the charity. It makes them feel good, especially in a way where they feel they're part of a huge collective effort where the end result is a very significant number.
Reply 44
I hate it when sometimes some of the celebs go on like an ego trip or try to selfpromote themselves but at the end of the day 'the public are paying to be entertained by the celebs'. And there are plenty of generous celebs out there - they might me really modest about it thats all.
Reply 45
How do some people seem to magically know how much each celebrity has donated out of their own money?
I sure haven't seen the figures posted anywhere, is there some kind of celebrity donation league table that I'm unaware of?

Latest

Trending

Trending