The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What you might consider before even thinking about venturing into law, is that a big part of the course involves research.

if you can't even be bothered to look 10 posts down to see exactly the same question being dealt with, you might be better to stick with history:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=840927

Alf/Swiss
Reply 2
Unlucky Alf

if you can't even be bothered to look 10 posts down to see exactly the same question being dealt with, you might be better to stick with history:smile:

Alf/Swiss

:ditto:
Reply 3
Unlucky Alf
What you might consider before even thinking about venturing into law, is that a big part of the course involves research.

Alf/Swiss

I wasn't aware that such a thing qualifies one to embark on a law degree. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the post, no need for the conceited attitude, however.
Reply 4
lokimercury
I wasn't aware that such a thing qualifies one to embark on a law degree.

A modicum of intelligence is a prerequisite to do law.:cool:
Reply 5
flugestuge
A modicum of intelligence is a prerequisite to do law.:cool:

Something which you obviously lack. I wasn't aware that the intelligence required to do law is dictated by how you can navigate an internet forum.
Reply 6
Shame the smiley I put there didn't come out.

maybe that would have made it read nicer.

Oh well.

Alf/Swiss (Holder of a GDL yet can't even manage smiley's!!!):woo: (I bet that doesn't work either!)
Reply 7
If the course you are doing involves both History and Law (I can't work it out from your first post) then you would be better off just doing a straight Law or straight History course, rather than doing a hybrid course. As far as I can tell, such courses will inevitably be a compromise and aren't as academically respected as straight courses (although obviously there are notable exceptions to this, such as PPE, etc.).
Reply 8
TommehR
If the course you are doing involves both History and Law (I can't work it out from your first post) then you would be better off just doing a straight Law or straight History course, rather than doing a hybrid course. As far as I can tell, such courses will inevitably be a compromise and aren't as academically respected as straight courses (although obviously there are notable exceptions to this, such as PPE, etc.).

I'm unsure as to why that would be viewed negatively. Surely, if you are completing an academic degree in History, but also with a secondary subject of Law, this provides you with a good, underpinning knowledge to proceed onto the GDL? Or would the secondary Law subject just conflict with the GDL?
Reply 9
lokimercury
I'm unsure as to why that would be viewed negatively. Surely, if you are completing an academic degree in History, but also with a secondary subject of Law, this provides you with a good, underpinning knowledge to proceed onto the GDL? Or would the secondary Law subject just conflict with the GDL?
The Bar remains a profession unduly enthralled by tradition and conservatism. I think that they would prefer you to do a 'pure' course as opposed to a hybrid course. If you have to do the GDL anyway, you might as well focus purely on History whilst you are at university. I guess that's my opinion though. I'm not saying that you can't become a barrister with a hybrid degree.

Out of interest, which university are you looking at?
Hows this for a thought.

If you do History and then go straight to the GDL, what benefit is the History to anyone?

If you do history, work for 5 years on (Wild guess time here) a book to do with the historical blah blah of property ownership in the UK, and then do the GDL and apply to a set of chambers doing property law, then maybe the history aspect will be of benefit to you and of interest t the chambers.

Otherwise, I can't see the point of the history part. Its the same as saying that rather than just do Law, I will do a completely different subject and then top it off with a one year law course.

It will raise all sorts of issues as to why you did history, why you don't want to do it anymore etc etc.

It sounds as if you are trying to be clever, when it isn't. If you want to do history because you have a passion for history, then great. Do it. If you want to do law, then do law.

Just a thought anyway, not that I know everything. (Or anything)

Alf/Swiss
Reply 11
Read Simon Myersons advice on this on another thread as he has the most relevant knowlege.

When it comes to apps there as as many non-law as law graduates practicing.

So long as you study a "proper" subject, the class of degree you get is FAR more important than anything else. You have more chance of getting a top grade in a subject you enjoy. If that is history - do history.

Latest

Trending

Trending