The Student Room Group

Physics. Electricity simple question

A copper wire is 2 m long, and has a cs area of 1.0mm^2. It has a p.d of 0.12V across it when current in it is 3.5A.

How should i draw a circuit diagram in order to check these voltage and current values???

I guess i should just draw a wire with an ammeter and add some component + a voltmeter accross but not sure....is it the correct way? if not, how??

any help appreciated. thanks.
Not quite sure what you're asking but anyway.

Yes, put a p.d. of 0.12V across it and use an ammeter to measure the current. Chances are you won't have a 0.12V supply so put a known voltage across it, measure the current and use ohms law to calculate the resistance. If you wanted to be really cool :cool: you could use a wheatstone bridge instead. Anyway, then just stick the values you have been given into ohms law, and compare the two resistance values.
Reply 2
slop8
I guess i should just draw a wire with an ammeter and add some component + a voltmeter accross but not sure....is it the correct way? if not, how??

I am not exactly sure what you are asking either, but if you want to know how you connect the voltmeter and ammeter with respect to the wire you are testing then: you were right, ammeters in series, and voltmeters in parallel.

Latest

Trending

Trending