The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenkinsear
Decent accommodation? Really? I had a boyfriend at Univ for a while and the general feeling I got was run down & miserable. It was cheap granted, but that showed.

Do you actually have anything pleasant to say about anything?

Anyway - it's not that cheap, it's pretty average. And all the accommodation I've seen is lovely, plus they've had a refurb recently.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucilou101
Do you actually have anything pleasant to say about anything?

Yes. Drop the attitude; time to act like an adult.

Anyway - it's not that cheap, it's pretty average. And all the accommodation I've seen is lovely, plus they've had a refurb recently.

It's one of the cheapest actually:

http://oxfordstudent.com/2013/10/24/colleges-rent-gulf-revealed/

Also factor in the fixed price approach they have vs the huge spread of costs at other Colleges, and you'll find the majority of students at other Colleges are actually paying way in excess of what Univ people are. My postgrad College is on that list and I know for a fact that its average price is heavily dragged down by about 20% of the rooms being dire, whilst the others all work out significantly more expensive than the figure cited there.

I believe they refurbished 1 block. If you want nice accommodation, Univ wouldn't be up there. Not saying it's awful, but I doubt anyone in the history of mankind ever picked Univ for its accommodation! Brasenose, Worcester, LMH, St Hugh's, Pembroke and Magdalen are probably the best accommodation wise, though I'm sure a few of the others are good too.
Yes. Drop the attitude; time to act like an adult.

It's one of the cheapest actually:

http://oxfordstudent.com/2013/10/24/colleges-rent-gulf-revealed/

Also factor in the fixed price approach they have vs the huge spread of costs at other Colleges, and you'll find the majority of students at other Colleges are actually paying way in excess of what Univ people are. My postgrad College is on that list and I know for a fact that its average price is heavily dragged down by about 20% of the rooms being dire, whilst the others all work out significantly more expensive than the figure cited there.

I believe they refurbished 1 block. If you want nice accommodation, Univ wouldn't be up there. Not saying it's awful, but I doubt anyone in the history of mankind ever picked Univ for its accommodation! Brasenose, Worcester, LMH, St Hugh's, Pembroke and Magdalen are probably the best accommodation wise, though I'm sure a few of the others are good too.

No attitude, everything I've ever seen posted by you has been rude or insulting in some way.

I've stayed in rooms at Magdalen and they weren't in any way better, although I'm sure if you got the nicest rooms that would be a different story.

I'm not entirely such on the refurb, although I know they're doing more work to the Goodhart building now.

I actually know quite a few people who picked Univ because of it's accommodation. Maybe your boyfriend just had a bad experience - anyway I'm not arguing that it's the nicest in the whole of Oxford, but I would still say it's decent.
No attitude, everything I've ever seen posted by you has been rude or insulting in some way.

I would submit that you're both easily offended and incapable of dealing with being wrong. Give it a year and you'll be past that though I'm sure :smile:

I've stayed in rooms at Magdalen and they weren't in any way better, although I'm sure if you got the nicest rooms that would be a different story.

I'm not entirely such on the refurb, although I know they're doing more work to the Goodhart building now.

I actually know quite a few people who picked Univ because of it's accommodation. Maybe your boyfriend just had a bad experience - anyway I'm not arguing that it's the nicest in the whole of Oxford, but I would still say it's decent.

Having spent 4 years in Oxford, I can tell you it's more than just the boyfriend on which I base this, but let's just leave it there. The OP can make up their own mind and compare to the other Colleges I mention if they so wish.
I would submit that you're both easily offended and incapable of dealing with being wrong. Give it a year and you'll be past that though I'm sure :smile:

Having spent 4 years in Oxford, I can tell you it's more than just the boyfriend on which I base this, but let's just leave it there. The OP can make up their own mind and compare to the other Colleges I mention if they so wish.

I would disagree, but then again - I'm sure I know myself better than you do.

I have actually never taken offence to your posts, it is just that the ones I have seen seem to be largely negative. Although of course, I have only seen a sample of the entirety of your post history - so they may not be a good representation.

I have no problem being wrong, as quite often I am. However, if the discussion is based on opinion or I am confident in my knowledge then I have no problem in defending myself :smile:

As you have said, I'm sure OP can make their own mind up - that's what open days etc are for!
And all the accommodation I've seen is lovely,

Would I volunteer for a year in Goodhart?

Probably not.
Reply 3986
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to apply for Oxford to study maths. I looked around five colleges on the open day and loved all of them, and don't want to do an open application. Can anyone give any opinions on these colleges? I know there aren't any that are easier to get into but still.
Christchurch
Queen's
Univ
Brasenose
Worcester
:smile: thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Original post by haras
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to apply for Oxford to study maths. I looked around five colleges on the open day and loved all of them, and don't want to do an open application. Can anyone give any opinions on these colleges? I know there aren't any that are easier to get into but still.
Christchurch
Queen's
Univ
Brasenose
Worcester

They all have their pros :smile:

Christ Church - very large, sometimes considered to have a snobbish rep but most people I've met from there are lovely, lots of tourists, lovely accommodation and great quads, central.

Queens - don't know much about

Univ - central, medium sized, very friendly, decent accommodation, great food, the oldest college (arguable), new bar, nice quads but not that grand, has a special maths week where you arrive a week earlier to start

Brasenose - overlooks Radcliffe square, not sure about the accommodation, nice buildings - don't know much about it's rep, central

Worcester - nice accommodation, not that central but not far at all, good situation for the train station, lovely lake, good for sports

I'd take a look at all the websites and make a list of pros and cons depending on what are your preferences - large, small, accommodation for all years, amount of maths tutors, food quality etc :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by haras
Posted from TSR Mobile

Christchurch
Queen's
Univ
Brasenose
Worcester

Brasenose has fabulously central accommodation for all years of your course (next to Oxford Union or on Radcliffe Square), cosy, small/ mediumish in terms of student population (about 100 undergrads per year), very friendly people (especially our porters). I would say we're okay but not great on food (although some of the very formal dinners have been lovely, and our formals are pretty cheap at £4.75!) :smile:

I would also vouch for Worcester - beautiful college, nice accommodation (lots of en-suites I think?), and quite possibly my favorite formal of all the Oxford colleges. All the accommodation is near/ at Worcester. In contrast, I think Queen's, Univ and ChCh have annexes that are further out.
Woosta in 72% en suite with access to good kitchen facilities :yep:

WOOSTA! WOOSTA! WOOSTA! :rave: :party: :rave:
Original post by haras
Posted from TSR Mobile

Christchurch
Queen's
Univ
Brasenose
Worcester

ChCh = Rah
Queen's = don't know
Univ = old
Brasenose = David Cameron
Worcester = Emma Watson
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Woosta in 72% en suite with access to good kitchen facilities :yep:

WOOSTA! WOOSTA! WOOSTA! :rave: :party: :rave:

You're actually getting me really interested in Worcester college:P *mission accomplished*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone :smile: I'm applying for Medicine for 2015 entry.
I can't decide between St John's and Univ. I visited quite a few on the open day and these two were my favourites. I liked the accommodation at St John's and how you get on site accommodation for three years. Also seems quite good on helping with expenses, travel, etc. Univ seemed a bit more relaxed and I liked the location more.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Neverme
I can't decide between St John's and Univ. I visited quite a few on the open day and these two were my favourites. I liked the accommodation at St John's and how you get on site accommodation for three years. Also seems quite good on helping with expenses, travel, etc. Univ seemed a bit more relaxed and I liked the location more.

They're both lovely so I'd just toss a coin if I were you!

Univ is quite relaxed and friendly, but then again Johns is very nice also!

Johns' accommodation is cheaper as they're incredibly rich, but Univ also has quite a lot as well!

Maybe make a list of pros and cons and see if any far outweighs the other?
Original post by Neverme

Johns' accommodation is cheaper as they're incredibly rich, but Univ also has quite a lot as well!

Ha you've got Lucilou101 at Univ and myself at John's :biggrin: I was close to applying to Univ, it does seem lovely.

I'd note that the St John's location is very good, (both colleges are almost exactly the same distance from the medical sciences teaching centre). St John's has things like being closer to the supermarket. But the differences are minor....

Have you seen the Pros/Cons page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons Although the coin toss advive isn't bad...

Original post by fluteflute
Ha you've got Lucilou101 at Univ and myself at John's :biggrin: I was close to applying to Univ, it does seem lovely.

I'd note that the St John's location is very good, (both colleges are almost exactly the same distance from the medical sciences teaching centre). St John's has things like being closer to the supermarket. But the differences are minor....

Have you seen the Pros/Cons page? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons Although the coin toss advive isn't bad...

Seems as though they're pretty equal, so I think I'll go for St John's just cause I can live in college for 3 years :biggrin:
Original post by Neverme
Seems as though they're pretty equal, so I think I'll go for St John's just cause I can live in college for 3 years :biggrin:

You can live in Univ for 3 years :smile:

Your final year would just be at their accommodation on Staverton Road!

Yes sorry I phrased that wrong - I believe that at St John's I'd be able to live in the College's main site for all three years, whereas at Univ I'd have to move to another site (in the north of Oxford, I believe?) :smile:
Original post by Neverme
Yes sorry I phrased that wrong - I believe that at St John's I'd be able to live in the College's main site for all three years, whereas at Univ I'd have to move to another site (in the north of Oxford, I believe?) :smile:

I believe that's correct - not 100% sure about Johns but that's true for Univ :smile:
Original post by Neverme

I'm about to start medicine at Univ, so if you got in there there's a ~25% chance you'll have me as your college parent... Make of that what you will. I know Univ has some travel grants and bursaries too, but I'm not really sure how much they give you, cos all their info in the subject is pretty vague. St John's is ridiculously rich though - I know they give every student a massive "book grant" which I believe can be spent on iPads and laptops as well as proper academic stuff, so that's pretty good.

Thought it was 2nd year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending