The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smilepeople
Anyone can tell me the advantages or disadvantages of choosing a small college over a big one?

Same as for any other group size really - in smaller groups you know everyone better and people take greater 'ownership' of the community and college, larger groups have a wider range of people and personalities to get to know. Personal preference.
Anyone can tell me the advantages or disadvantages of choosing a small college over a big one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you mean big in terms of the size of the central site...
Big colleges have wide open spaces where you can find a quiet spot if you want one. Smaller colleges tend to be more natural communities since the students there bump into one another with greater frequency. That's the main difference.

If you mean big in terms of total number of students...
There is not much difference in size. Corpus Christi is small with 250 students, St Catherine's large with 487 & Christ Church 423. The others lie between 300 and 360.
Original post by admissionshost
If you mean big in terms of the size of the central site...
Big colleges have wide open spaces where you can find a quiet spot if you want one. Smaller colleges tend to be more natural communities since the students there bump into one another with greater frequency. That's the main difference.

There is not much difference in size. Corpus Christi is small with 250 students, St Catherine's large with 487 & Christ Church 423. The others lie between 300 and 360.

Hmm i guess both physical size and population size ... is somerville considered small too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm i guess both physical size and population size ... is somerville considered small too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its hard to know exactly as there are differing numbers of 4th years and some colleges take a lot more international visitors than others, but those numbers are not in line with Oxford's own numbers at all. http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/college-success-rates
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Its hard to know exactly as there are differing numbers of 4th years and some colleges take a lot more international visitors than others, but those numbers are not in line with Oxford's own numbers at all. http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/college-success-rates

Its apples and pears. The link you cite gives the average intake of undergraduates over three years. The stock of students differs from this because, of course, students exit as well as enter and they exit at different times depending on whether the degree is 3, 4 or 5 years and also whether a year abroad is involved. The steady-state UG population is cited in the University Prospectus' college pages.

Going down the list, Balliol has a total intake (inflow) of 331 over 3 years and the prospectus estimates the stock at 382.
For the next college, Brasenose, the intake is 313 over 3 years and the stock 370. The next, Christ Church, has an inflow of 359 but a stock of 423 which makes it an outlier.

Going down the list, Balliol has a total intake (inflow) of 331 over 3 years and the prospectus estimates the stock at 382.
For the next college, Brasenose, the intake is 313 over 3 years and the stock 370. The next, Christ Church, has an inflow of 359 but a stock of 423 which makes it an outlier.

What makes that an outlier? The inflow to stock proportion is similar and certainly that's not an unusually large number by any means - a number of colleges are larger.

You gave the impression Catz and Christchurch are unusually large with all other colleges being within a small range - that's totally untrue whatever measure you want to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say Somerville is big, at least in terms of physical size. Small to me would be something like the Turl Street colleges or Brasenose.
Hello!
I'm currently in the middle of my application for Mathematics and can't quite decide which college I would like to go to. I want to find a college which is bit of old and near town centre.

Could anyone give some advice?

Thank you!
Original post by Bella Bai
Hello!
I'm currently in the middle of my application for Mathematics and can't quite decide which college I would like to go to. I want to find a college which is bit of old and near town centre.

Could anyone give some advice?

Thank you!

Are there any other factors you'd like to consider? As there are quite a few colleges which are old and near the town centre :L

You might like to consider Univ, St.Johns, Balliol, Brasenose etc :smile:
Original post by mishieru07
I'd say Somerville is big, at least in terms of physical size. Small to me would be something like the Turl Street colleges or Brasenose.

In anyone's interested in a rough guide to physical size (not that it means much):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40981059&postcount=3117
How much should I worry about proximity to the faculty buildings I'd need? I stayed at Pembroke in the summer and it seemed quite a way from Physics (which is what I hope to do).
Original post by Sataris
How much should I worry about proximity to the faculty buildings I'd need? I stayed at Pembroke in the summer and it seemed quite a way from Physics (which is what I hope to do).

Physics has a lot of contact hours so decide whether you're fine with going all the way to the science area from Pembroke (for example) everyday or not. It's not always nice walking 15 minutes in the morning in the colder months, but I'm sure some people enjoy the walk :tongue: Location is usually important to people for that reason. If you want something close by, consider Keble, Wadham, Somerville and Mansfield (among others) :smile:
Original post by Sataris

Original post by amol_chalis447
Physics has a lot of contact hours so decide whether you're fine with going all the way to the science area from Pembroke (for example) everyday or not. It's not always nice walking 15 minutes in the morning in the colder months, but I'm sure some people enjoy the walk :tongue: Location is usually important to people for that reason. If you want something close by, consider Keble, Wadham, Somerville and Mansfield (among others) :smile:

You probably walked fairly slowly as part of a large group, it is a bit of a trek, but it's not that bad. Cycling is quite popular, but by no means essential.

Google Maps reckons it's 15 minutes, which really isn't far, compared to the commutes you'd have at other universities.

But yeah, location is a perfectly good way to pick a college. As well as those mentioned above, St John's and St Anne's are very close to Physics.
Original post by Lucilou101
Are there any other factors you'd like to consider? As there are quite a few colleges which are old and near the town centre :L

You might like to consider Univ, St.Johns, Balliol, Brasenose etc :smile:

Thank you for your recommendations. I heard someone said the colleges which are younger are easier to get in, I don't know if it is true or not.
Original post by Bella Bai
Thank you for your recommendations. I heard someone said the colleges which are younger are easier to get in, I don't know if it is true or not.

Not at all true, your choice of college has no affect on your chances of getting in :smile:
Thank you.

I am just looking at the Oxford website, and I saw The Queen's College, I really like the name of the college.
Not at all true, your choice of college has no affect on your chances of getting in :smile:

Evidence?
Original post by Pars12
Evidence?

That's what the pooling system is for -

Colleges work co-operatively to try and ensure all applicants for a particular subject, across all colleges, can be compared against one another, in order that the very best people get Oxford places. As a result, around 27% of successful candidates for 2013 entry are at a college other than the college they named as their preference.
Original post by Pars12
Evidence?

It would take a lot for every single tutor at Oxford to say it without meaning it :smile:
That's what the pooling system is for -

Colleges work co-operatively to try and ensure all applicants for a particular subject, across all colleges, can be compared against one another, in order that the very best people get Oxford places. As a result, around 27% of successful candidates for 2013 entry are at a college other than the college they named as their preference.

So what does that mean? Is 27% some kind of magic number so I should say "Oh, so that's alright then"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending