The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

There is no college like Wadham. Go to Wadham.

Your school doesn't, like mine didn't, really get it. If you're both worthy but Wadham don't have enough places, then one or both of you will be given another college. Applying to the same college won't affect either of your chances of getting into Oxford.
(edited 13 years ago)
go for washam
Felix101
Because some schools, like mine, actually don't allow two applicants to go for the same subject in same college, as they'd be competing...apparently this would make it awkward if one got in one didn't.

That is really stupid.
Just a thought though, if you do both apply what exactly would they do about it?
TheProdigy2k9
That is really stupid.
Just a thought though, if you do both apply what exactly would they do about it?

Probably detention :rolleyes: No, I imagine nothing. There's not much they can do after it's gone anyway...unless they alter the college you put in for :eek:

Spoiler

Reply 1384
Felix101
Probably detention :rolleyes: No, I imagine nothing. There's not much they can do after it's gone anyway...unless they alter the college you put in for :eek:

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure they can't.
(edited 13 years ago)
cpchem
I've never really bought into the argument that there's very little difference between colleges. I may have propagated it when required (open days, interviews etc.), but there are differences - some are quite minor, but others are pretty important. The ability of the college to accommodate you through your degree, for example. The presence of (a decent range of) tutorial fellows in your subject, to save you being sent around the houses. The levels of financial support for international students.

Ignoring that, it's hardly the point. It is not the business of the school to veto someone's application because it might upset someone else applying there. That's just pathetic - if you can't cope with the possibility that someone you know is better than you at something, you have serious issues. If you're that insecure, if your self-worth depends on your superiority to that extent, then Oxford is probably a dangerous place to be - because it's one place that you are guaranteed to meet people more talented than you.

(and apologies for the last paragraph; as I read it, it sounds awfully personal - all those 'you's everywhere. I would write 'one', except it sounds ridiculous!!)

Well its not so much a veto as a... strongly worded recommendation! They can't actually block it obviously.

Its one thing admitting someone is better than you when they obviously are, its another when differences may be subtle and your future is at steak and its a bunch of 17 year olds who may not be all that grown up yet and just if i were a teacher i' d want to avoid that if possible!

And yes there are big differences between some colleges - if you do your research though you could find what you are looking for at more than one i am sure though.
I would not apply to the same college, for the same course as another chap from my school.
There are potential disadvantages in so doing. There are no advantages in so doing.
cpchem
I'm pretty sure they can't.

I should jolly well hope not.
Mrm.
I would not apply to the same college, for the same course as another chap from my school.
There are potential disadvantages in so doing. There are no advantages in so doing.

The only potential disadvantage is that it might be unpleasant if only one of you were to get a place. As others have said, that shouldn't really be your main concern when choosing a college. :rolleyes:
Reply 1389
Can anyone give me some advice on choosing a college?
I am applying for Human Sciences and at the moment I can't narrow it down. I'm considering New college, St. John's, Magdalen, Mansfield and Hertford. Quite an extensive list considering HumSci is only taught at a few of the colleges... but yes I am looking for a place with relatively friendly people, nice and consistent accommodation, medium-sized grounds (pretty grounds!) and access to a sports field perhaps - I like running.
vms1993
Can anyone give me some advice on choosing a college?
I am applying for Human Sciences and at the moment I can't narrow it down. I'm considering New college, St. John's, Magdalen, Mansfield and Hertford. Quite an extensive list considering HumSci is only taught at a few of the colleges... but yes I am looking for a place with relatively friendly people, nice and consistent accommodation, medium-sized grounds (pretty grounds!) and access to a sports field perhaps - I like running.

Hello. Looking at your list, my instinct is that you should probably plump for New College, St John's or Magdalen. Mansfield and Hertford are both lovely, but a fair bit smaller. I don't know much very specifically about any college other than New College, but as a rule smaller colleges find it more difficult to provide consistent accommodation for obvious reasons. I think I'm right in saying that Hertford only offers college accommodation for the first year, for example.

When I read your description of what you're looking for, it did strike me that you'd probably like New College very much. The people are very friendly in my experience, the accommodation is very good (particularly for first year) and it's pretty much guaranteed for the duration of your course, the grounds are probably big rather than medium-sized, considering how central we are, but they are known for being very pretty and they get plenty of use. Best of all, we're one of the few colleges to have a dedicated sports ground which is a mere 3 minute walk away from the College. Magdalen and St John's, being large and fairly wealthy too, might have sports grounds, but I'm pretty certain they won't be quite so close at hand.

Edit: A quick google search tells me St John's sports ground is a fair way out of the City up Woodstock Road. Magdalen seems to have grounds in college but I'm not sure how extensive the facilities are - perhaps no pavillion, changing rooms etc.? But, depending on the kind of running you do it could be a good choice. There's something on the website about it being great for cross country runners, since the ground sort of just merge into countryside. :smile:
Sorry this might seem pathetic but...which of Queen's and Wadham have Sky Sports?
Reply 1392
Ars Ludicra
Hello. Looking at your list, my instinct is that you should probably plump for New College, St John's or Magdalen. Mansfield and Hertford are both lovely, but a fair bit smaller. I don't know much very specifically about any college other than New College, but as a rule smaller colleges find it more difficult to provide consistent accommodation for obvious reasons. I think I'm right in saying that Hertford only offers college accommodation for the first year, for example.

When I read your description of what you're looking for, it did strike me that you'd probably like New College very much. The people are very friendly in my experience, the accommodation is very good (particularly for first year) and it's pretty much guaranteed for the duration of your course, the grounds are probably big rather than medium-sized, considering how central we are, but they are known for being very pretty and they get plenty of use. Best of all, we're one of the few colleges to have a dedicated sports ground which is a mere 3 minute walk away from the College. Magdalen and St John's, being large and fairly wealthy too, might have sports grounds, but I'm pretty certain they won't be quite so close at hand.

Edit: A quick google search tells me St John's sports ground is a fair way out of the City up Woodstock Road. Magdalen seems to have grounds in college but I'm not sure how extensive the facilities are - perhaps no pavillion, changing rooms etc.? But, depending on the kind of running you do it could be a good choice. There's something on the website about it being great for cross country runners, since the ground sort of just merge into countryside. :smile:

Thanks so much - repped you! :biggrin:
In the end I chose St. John's and come to think of it I'm not entirely sure why. I really liked the sound of New college and it has an even higher acceptance rate but I went with my gut instinct and applied for St. John's. I know I will regret it but I'd feel the same way if I were to apply for New instead. Somebody reassure me with my choice before I feel silly for picking St. John's :biggrin:
vms1993
In the end I chose St. John's and come to think of it I'm not entirely sure why. I really liked the sound of New college and it has an even higher acceptance rate but I went with my gut instinct and applied for St. John's. I know I will regret it but I'd feel the same way if I were to apply for New instead. Somebody reassure me with my choice before I feel silly for picking St. John's :biggrin:

Oh don't worry! I think gut feeling is more important than any sports ground or garden. Sounds like you made the right choice. :biggrin:

P.S. - Thanks for the rep!
(edited 13 years ago)
Are some colleges more likely to give out scholarships to international students than others?
vms1993

I wouldn't set any stock by acceptance rates.

The St. John's sportsground is about 10 minutes' cycle from the college so is only far away in Oxford terms.
What are people's experiences of christ church @ oxford?
Reply 1397
Huw Davies
I wouldn't set any stock by acceptance rates.

The St. John's sportsground is about 10 minutes' cycle from the college so is only far away in Oxford terms.

Nah was only using it as a reference because New and St. John's were neck to neck when I reviewed them last.

I'm assuming you're only allowed to use your college grounds? It would make sense to...
Reply 1398
Ars Ludicra
Oh don't worry! I think gut feeling is more important than any sports ground or garden. Sounds like you made the right choice. :biggrin:

P.S. - Thanks for the rep!

No problem! Fortunately nearly all HumSci applicants get two interviews which obviously equates to two different colleges... which means... variety! :biggrin:
vms1993
Nah was only using it as a reference because New and St. John's were neck to neck when I reviewed them last.

I'm assuming you're only allowed to use your college grounds? It would make sense to...

Unless there is a special arrangement, yes e.g. some of the Merton sports teams are merged with Mansfield so they get to use our sports ground.

If you are playing an away match you would go to other people's sprots ground. This gets a bit silly when its St Catz (home) vs Merton (away) as Merton's ground is basically at Catz, whereas theirs is a 30 minute walk away in the middle of nowhere. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending