The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CHEM1STRY
Medical Physics...

Not a medical specialty. You don't get an MBBS then become a consultant in medical physics. You do a BSc in Medical Physics, not a medical degree.

xinolisss
But you could apply that to virtually anything... You do not need an A level in Maths to understand it or to do well in it... but it kinda helps if you would like to do a University degree in Maths...

Totally unrelated given that the OP doesn't want to study something heavily physics based.

What Physics does is maybe it introduces you to the topics at a lower level and will probably give you a slight introduction to these topics that may well later be covered at a much more hardcore level.

Yes, but the topics covered later on do not need an entire A level to be understandable, cause believe it or not, they're not that "hardcore". They don't teach you quantum mechanics ffs.

My friends over doing Medicine in Spain have a whole module in Physics every term...

Err...good for them? Not applicable in this situation.
Reply 41
Baki
A) Philiosophy =/= All Art/Humanities subject.

B) I said an easy (i.e. anyone one in that category which IS easy) arts/humanities subject.

C) Reason being, some med students like student doing sciences and these subjects.

Ok sorry didn't mean to offend you.

May I ask what A-levels you are doing and what you got in your GCSEs I a just trying to work out what you really need to apply for medicine.
Reply 42
stilaxsilk
Ok sorry didn't mean to offend you.

May I ask what A-levels you are doing and what you got in your GCSEs I a just trying to work out what you really need to apply for medicine.

As I currently hold no offers, I don't think I'd be the greatest reference point. :rofl:
Reply 43
A language of some sort to give a bit of variation :smile:
Reply 44
Baki
As I currently hold no offers, I don't think I'd be the greatest reference point. :rofl:

You were interviewed at kings though..so it would be a start.
Reply 45
And you didn't pick a 'softer option' I am not sure I agree with using that term but that is what some people say.
Wangers
Lol. Patients don't care how the bloody machine works - just that it does. Nor do doctors, they're paid to interpret.

Think radiologist. True, they don't need to know physics to the level of building an imaging machine but the analysis is only possible if they understand how the machine works. Tht's how you can tell whether an anomaly on an image is fluid or a solid mass. Not to mention plenty of docs do research work in these things, building better imaging equipment, artificial organs, nanotechnology. PLENTY of reasons why Physics is good.
To the op. French is a good choice. I wanted to do it myself but my school didn't offer it. On the flip said as I said before Physics has its merits as well. It is true though that medical schools like to see people with diversity. I would actually advise you to do both imho, if you are allowed. I did Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Pure Mathematics and get this....Accounting, lol. So yea. if you can go for the all science + one tangent subject go for it. If not, do what you find more interesting because it'll be that subject that you'll score better in.
Reply 48
Chocolatey Goodness
Think radiologist. True, they don't need to know physics to the level of building an imaging machine but the analysis is only possible if they understand how the machine works. Tht's how you can tell whether an anomaly on an image is fluid or a solid mass. Not to mention plenty of docs do research work in these things, building better imaging equipment, artificial organs, nanotechnology. PLENTY of reasons why Physics is good.

Then again I take the view that the OP dosn't need it at this stage. So, pic comes up - thats what a consultant radiologist is for. If they do go into radiology - I think they might stretch a bit firther than A level physics, even with dumbing down.
Wangers
Then again I take the view that the OP dosn't need it at this stage. So, pic comes up - thats what a consultant radiologist is for. If they do go into radiology - I think they might stretch a bit firther than A level physics, even with dumbing down.

yes of course. I mentioned this because you posted previously that doctors don't care how the machines work. Just brought up an example of some docs who would.
And also, when I wanted to do some research this year, the head researcher asked me quote 'What A levels do you have?'. I told him. Next question. 'What did you get in Physics?' So really, it may be of some use to the op :p:
Reply 51
Geography :P i'm biased though. Go with something you enjoy as you have the required subjects for medicine already. Perhaps something not science related so as to give you a bit of diversity in your subjects.
OP, try to learn how to spell Medicine.
You only need 3 A Levels. Have some fun.
No Future
You only need 3 A Levels. Have some fun.

True. But what you need isn't enough anymore, especially if you are applying to a competitive Uni.
Reply 55
Chocolatey Goodness
True. But what you need isn't enough anymore, especially if you are applying to a competitive Uni.

I disagree. All the admissions tutor I asked said that they don't use the number of Alevels a applicants take to discriminate between candidates. This is where admissions test come in. Now these are used to discriminate against candidates academically.
You want to do medicine, but can't even spell it :confused:
Baki
I disagree. All the admissions tutor I asked said that they don't use the number of Alevels a applicants take to discriminate between candidates. This is where admissions test come in. Now these are used to discriminate against candidates academically.

And you believe them because...?.
Chocolatey Goodness

I don't think they have a vested interest to lie. There are more than enough medicine applicants. What benefit is it to them to get people to apply who do not meet a secret requirement or are at a disadvantage? More paperwork?

Let me know if I'm missing something obvious. I'm v tired

nb. MEDICINE is competitive at all med schools
Reply 59
Chocolatey Goodness

Why not?

From my experience during this cycle, it really does seem like the number of Alevels being undertaken doesn't really play a part.

Case in point, I know someone who was interviewed by Kings although he was only doing 3 alevels (with AAA prediction) but someone who with AAAA prediction rejected outright without an interview.

Main difference.

UKCAT test.

Latest

Trending

Trending