The Student Room Group

Should I drop my forth A level?

I picked physics, maths, further maths and computer science and am doing well in all but I feel like I could do better if I just focused on the first 3 subjects for aerospace engineering.

Does a 4th subject actually help with application and is it too late to drop a 4th as I am going into second year soon. I started considering dropping computer science as I feel like it is holding me back and I am also really stuck on my programming project and feel like I would not do so well in it. Should I keep doing computer science even if I get a low grade or just drop it (if I still can). I also missed EPQ because I decided to keep for but kinda regret it now so considering that should I still drop a 4th?
Original post by J_Huang06
I picked physics, maths, further maths and computer science and am doing well in all but I feel like I could do better if I just focused on the first 3 subjects for aerospace engineering.

Does a 4th subject actually help with application and is it too late to drop a 4th as I am going into second year soon. I started considering dropping computer science as I feel like it is holding me back and I am also really stuck on my programming project and feel like I would not do so well in it. Should I keep doing computer science even if I get a low grade or just drop it (if I still can). I also missed EPQ because I decided to keep for but kinda regret it now so considering that should I still drop a 4th?

There is no benefit to taking a fourth A level.

Because universities can make offers based on 4 A levels rather than 3, if your 4th subject is distracting you and worsening your grades overall, you are better off dropping it.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
There is no benefit to taking a fourth A level.

Because universities can make offers based on 4 A levels rather than 3, if your 4th subject is distracting you and worsening your grades overall, you are better off dropping it.

Thanks, but I forgot to mention I want to apply to imperial and they want A*A*A or A*AAA which seems much easier to do would dropping a 4th subject still be beneficial then?
Thanks, but I forgot to mention I want to apply to imperial and they want A*A*A or A*AAA which seems much easier to do would dropping a 4th subject still be beneficial then?

Depends. If you are more confident you can get A*AAA than A*A*A, then by all means keep doing all four subjects.

If you feel dropping a subject would give you more time and you’d be able to focus better making it so A*A*A could be achieved, then drop CS.
(edited 8 months ago)

yes drop computing 100% im in year 13 massively struggling with the programming project, its awful and its nothing to do with ur course anyway. No uni even needs cs. If ur school lets u drop it get rid of it now, dont let it affect ur chances of doing aerospace 4 alevels is always unecessary too

Quick Reply

Latest