The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RamocitoMorales
No, I'm comparing terrorists with terrorists.

They don't really fit the definition, even if they did my point still stands that islamic terrorists have killed many more people than the G20 protestors.
azhao
They don't really fit the definition, even if they did my point still stands that islamic terrorists have killed many more people than the G20 protestors.

They do.

The Islamic terrorists are far better armed, they've been terrorizing for far longer and there's more of them.
Reply 22
RamocitoMorales
They do.

The Islamic terrorists are far better armed, they've been terrorizing for far longer and there's more of them.

So your point is?
azhao
So your point is?

That's the reason why they've killed more people.
Reply 24
RamocitoMorales
The Persians were not barbaric. They marched in formation to the beat of the war drum. Unfortunately, many films portray them wrong.

The Greeks were more civilized than the Romans, you're right. But the Romans were the ones who brought civilization to Britain.

Formations to the beat of a war drum? That defines civilised to you? What about the Carnyx discovered in Aberdeenshire? As previous stated the Celts also lined up in formation for battle, with cavalry arms and infantry the same as the Romans, they even had missile units, such as their much famed sling shots. Their chariot's were manned with such skill as to make Caesar comment:

“by daily practice and exercise attain to such expertness that they are accustomed, even on a declining and steep place, to check their horses at full speed, and manage and turn them in an instant”

So much for the primitive barbarians. Winning the approval of one of the greatest generals in history would tend to contradict your rather biased viewpoint.

My point about the Greeks was that as they were defeated by the Romans surely as it was by this criteria you deemed the Celts barbaric, they too are barbaric.
Reply 25
RamocitoMorales
That's the reason why they've killed more people.
No thats the reason why they've killed people, how many people have the demonstrators killed?
RamocitoMorales
There is nothing wrong with Gladiatorial arenas, especially not in those days. Just think of MMA or UFC that is the modern equivalent of arenas, or even boxing. That doesn't mean we're uncivilized though, does it?

Is not exactly the same, is it? People can choose to become boxers, while gladiators were often bought as slaves and then forced to try and murder each other in the ring. Personally, I think watching fights to the death is far less civilised than protesting in a democracy.
Reply 27
Yeah, the ancient Romans killed, raped and plundered their way across the ancient world... so:p:
Reply 28
LOL at the way this thread disintergrated into a discussion on classics. Woo treat the OP for the fool he is!
Peanut42
LOL at the way this thread disintergrated into a discussion on classics. Woo treat the OP for the fool he is!

Why am I a constant target for insults. And why it it that whenever I insult I get an instant ban, whereas when somebody else insults me they are congratulated?
RamocitoMorales
Why am I a constant target for insults.

Don't know, possibly your ridiculous idea of the romans acting as some kind of civilization super-heroes to save us from the evil protesters...
flyingstereowombat
Don't know, possibly your ridiculous idea of the romans acting as some kind of civilization super-heroes to save us from the evil protesters...

I guess you're right, and that gives you every right to insult me. :rolleyes:
Reply 32
RamocitoMorales
Why am I a constant target for insults. And why it it that whenever I insult I get an instant ban, whereas when somebody else insults me they are congratulated?

Because you seem to love starting foolish, ridiculous threads like this one.:rolleyes:
Aeolus
Because you seem to love starting foolish, ridiculous threads like this one.:rolleyes:

I guess you're right, and that gives you every right to insult me. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry, but you did say in your first post:

If you have an opinion then violence and barbarianism is not the way to go.

Which is good. Unfortunately, a few sentences before you said:

I was so angered by what I was seeing that I wished I were a police officer armed with a baton so I could beat some sense into the barbarians.

Stop contadicting yourself and come up with a decent argument, and people won't insult you.
flyingstereowombat
Stop contadicting yourself and come up with a decent argument, and people won't insult you.

Fine, whatever. :rolleyes:
Reply 36
L-O-L it seems OP got owned. Better luck next time, ridiculous as your threads are I do rather enjoy them :wink:.
Reply 37
RamocitoMorales
Fine, whatever. :rolleyes:

LOL...fail
Aeolus
LOL...fail

I didn't feel the need to argue pointlessly. Some people can never be convinced of the truth so there's no point in wasting my breath.
Yeah because the Romans were perfect... ahem Slavery and the subjugation of groups they considered lesser.

Latest

Trending

Trending