The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What does the death toll of an earthquake have anything to do with how developed the country is? I don't really see the connection tbh, apart from having a good rescue service or not.
Reply 2
The most developed country could be ripped apart by an earthquake....

Of course Italy is developed. :lolwut:
Reply 3
North = yes
South = no.

Its country averages hide the south's poverty somewhat. (i.e. GDP is high in the north, low in the south, overall it's passable)
Did you want them to stop the earthquake?
Reply 5
ElegantElephant™
What does the death toll of an earthquake have anything to do with how developed the country is? I don't really see the connection tbh, apart from having a good rescue service or not.

Lots of things. For example, whether there are stringent building codes to prevent buildings collapsing, and whether there are rigorously enforced by government. Whether it is fair or not, Italy has certainly had a reputation for not being terribly good at enforcing this kind of regulation.

Not that any of this helps if the buildings are hundreds of years old...
Reply 6
You can't judge it on that. Many buildings in L'Aquila are hundreds of years old, and there hasn't been an earthquake since 1706 before this one, so they obviously weren't prepared as it isn't a cost effective thing to do.

Just how its not cost effective for our Government to build flood defences, but this doesn't mean that we are under developed

Even the USA and Japan suffer fatalities from earthquakes, but no one describes them as under developed because of it
Reply 7
The UK (especially London) basically stood still when it snowed for 2 days, does that mean that we're living in an undeveloped country?
The south's not that developed, the mafia steal all the funds and such, and it's quite a backwards frontier (Generally speaking). I'd speculate at least someone died in some kind of earthquake in the rather developed San Francisco Bay, or in Japan or somewhere. When Mount Saint Helens exploded in 1980 America was pretty undeniably a developed country, yet 57 people died, and I think volcanoes are quite alot more obvious to spot than earthquakes (and the damage probably arrives abit slower).
Reply 9
jburdett
This may seem like a very silly question, but in light of the fact that at least 207 people have died and 1,500 injured in the Italian earthquake, is Italy really a developed country, as it couldn't deal with an earthquake?

it happened is a very old village. The houses were all really old, not substandard, but made from stone/bricks with no real reinforcment. Im sure if the same magnitude earthquake struck bath, cambridge or even london hundreds of buildings would collapse.
Developed countries bribe mother nature to remove tectonic plates.
NW8_SW1_EC3

That's right, I learnt that the other day - courtesy of OCR Geography. :rofl:
NW8_SW1_EC3

You know too much. You must be annihalated.
Reply 13
The northern region is more developed than the south although the shockingly rampant amount of corruption that plagues Italy is a major.

Yes, Italy is a developed country although it does face numerous problems as a result of corruption.
i give you hurricane katrina....
i was thinking the same too
Of course it is, the area didn't have adequate protection from such an earthquake. I don't blame it either, as considering the frequency of such a large earthquake compared to the costs of building adequate defences, I'm sure it'd rather take its chances.
Italy is as developed as the UK, if not more so. If you look at the Human Developement Index, as compiled by the UN, Italy is frequently ranked significantly above the UK in terms of development and services.

Also, what on earth does the death toll of an earthquake have to do with a countries developement? They are unpredictable disasters and no one knows when they will occur, it's difficult to predict even within 10 mins.

If the UK had a major earthquake, I'm pretty certain the consequences would be much more severe. However, you seem pretty clueless.
assmaster
North = yes
South = no.

Its country averages hide the south's poverty somewhat. (i.e. GDP is high in the north, low in the south, overall it's passable)

The south is certainly poorer than the North, but not enough to call it underdeveloped. The North of Britain is significantly less affluent than the South of Britain, would you call the North underdeveloped? To be quite honest, some parts of Glasgow are quite comparable to parts of Naples.
Reply 19
burninginme
Italy is as developed as the UK, if not more so. If you look at the Human Developement Index, as compiled by the UN, Italy is frequently ranked significantly above the UK in terms of development and services.

Also, what on earth does the death toll of an earthquake have to do with a countries developement? They are unpredictable disasters and no one knows when they will occur, it's difficult to predict even within 10 mins.

If the UK had a major earthquake, I'm pretty certain the consequences would be much more severe. However, you seem pretty clueless.

5 red gems, warning level 8.

The value of your opinion < used toilet paper.

Latest

Trending

Trending