The Student Room Group

BMAT Score

I know that the format of the test is:
Aptitude and Skills (60 minutes multiple-choice or short answer questions)
Scientific Knowledge & Applications (30 min)
Writing Task (30 min)

And I know that is is out of 33, I just wanted to know do UCL automatically invite candidates with scores over 19 for interviews?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's out of 33 not 24. UCL auto-interview those with 5,5,9+ in that order.
ohhh is it? arghh wiki is wrong :O
Isometrix
it's out of 33 not 24. UCL auto-interview those with 5,5,9+ in that order.

no leverage if it isn't in that order?
Reply 4
My Tosis Is...?
no leverage if it isn't in that order?

as far as i'm aware if you don't get 5+,5+,9+ then you may still be called for an interview if the rest of your application is to a good standard (a very good PS/reference especially).
Isometrix
as far as i'm aware if you don't get 5+,5+,9+ then you may still be called for an interview if the rest of your application is to a good standard (a very good PS/reference especially).

Have you done the BMAT? Could you tell me how you found it? :smile:
Reply 6
My Tosis Is...?
Have you done the BMAT? Could you tell me how you found it? :smile:

well i got 5.9, 4.4, 9 = 19.3, and i found it quite hard. i suppose the main thing to be aware of is that you should aim for consistency across all sections rather than just a high score (which is why i got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial due to my section 2).

search "BMAT 2008" to see how others found it. you'll find lots of advice, tips and practice questions in that thread.
Isometrix
well i got 5.9, 4.4, 9 = 19.3, and i found it quite hard. i suppose the main thing to be aware of is that you should aim for consistency across all sections rather than just a high score (which is why i got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial due to my section 2).

search "BMAT 2008" to see how others found it. you'll find lots of advice, tips and practice questions in that thread.

:jumphug: thanks :smile:
it is hard. u can practice for it i recommend brain teasers like uk maths challenges and other mental maths (its non-calculator) / critical thinking activities. For the writing task, i read about philosophy of science to make me sound more credible but usually theres an medically related ethical question out of the three choices that most people go for. 7.5 is around average for the writing i think. work on time- time is a b**** in this exam and you only have one a4 to write an essay on in 30 mins- so i suggest a detailed plan before you start writing- try lots of practice questions: they are looking for infallible logic and clear structure/thinking. Science-wise, learn all ur physics formulae and your maths 'rules' (angles of shapes etc) learn biology inside out, usually those will be the quickest questions to answer therefore giving you high marks in a short amount of time. Good Luck!
S1: Read newspapers; Do quick maths sums in your head;

S2: Revise GCSE sciences and learn GCSE Biology from other syllabuses

S3: Read books, articles and newspapers which interest you. Just read stuff.
Reply 10
practice doing questions under time pressure.

really.
Another question: can you retake BMAT? If you don't do well the first time round?
Reply 12
My Tosis Is...?
Another question: can you retake BMAT? If you don't do well the first time round?

only one sitting and if you reapply you need to do it again.
early november sometime

same with ukcat cept you can choose when to do ukcat
last date was 10th october this year
Does anyone know if these course are worht price> anyone ever done one?
http://www.kaptest.co.uk/default.aspx
My Tosis Is...?
Does anyone know if these course are worht price> anyone ever done one?
http://www.kaptest.co.uk/default.aspx

Presumably a waste of money. I can't see how you can possible be "taught" how to do the BMAT.
You just need practice. And presumbly these courses provide just that.

Having said that, the difficulty of the BMAT is not that the questions themselves are difficult per se, but can be attributed to, for the most part, that there is a heavy burden on one's cognitising agent to allocate temporal durations effectively, in other words, the precise allocation of agency to eventuality is the most pressing issue at hand.
Reply 16
just get alot of practice!

i recommend buying a critical thinking book and really working for that (for sections 1 and 3 especially).
Learn to read and write short discussions under 20 minutes.

If you work on your timing, you will definitely do alot better (i sat it 4 years ago and got a total of 22.. I guess the same applies now).
Reply 17
Although realistically without 5,5,9 you wont get an interview at UCL.

(its Only the minority who get an interview with lower scores mostly as they have something outstanding in their application)

As for preparation:

1. Learn to answer the questions Quickly
2. You need to be able to access scientific knowledge very quickly this comes with practise.
3. The essays need to be written concisely and answer the question don't waffle.

Check out the dearly departed jjkkll's BMAT 2009 thread for a hell of a lot of preparation material.
DrVas
Although realistically without 5,5,9 you wont get an interview at UCL.

(its Only the minority who get an interview with lower scores mostly as they have something outstanding in their application)

As for preparation:

1. Learn to answer the questions Quickly
2. You need to be able to access scientific knowledge very quickly this comes with practise.
3. The essays need to be written concisely and answer the question don't waffle.

Check out the dearly departed jjkkll's BMAT 2009 thread for a hell of a lot of preparation material.

Are you sure? From UCL website:

For 2010 entry we guarantee to interview UK and EU applicants who meet all of our entry requirements and admissions criteria and achieve BMAT scores of 5.0, 5.0, 9.0 or higher (i.e. 5.0 in Section 1, 5.0 in Section 2 and 9.0 in Section 3).

It is important that applicants realise that only a small proportion of applicants will achieve these high scores. The rest of our interviewees will be selected based on the strength of their whole application, although BMAT scores that are below the average will disadvantage an application. Scoring below 5,5,9 does not disqualify an applicant from the selection process.
I think about 500 achieve 5, 5, 9 and the other 300 or so are selected from those who did not achieve 5, 5, 9 but generally speaking, came close.

Latest

Trending

Trending