The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tomcoolinguk
Glad to see you made the right choice.... what swung it for you out of interest?

Without turning this into another big debate...

a) UCL has a bit more prestige - well...maybe.
b) Seeing as I want to practice (I can never remember whether the verb is 'c' or 's') in the UK, I felt that it would be beneficial to have a year extra English law under my belt.

However, despite KCL's coolness they shot themselves in the foot four times, whilst I was there, if only in very small ways (I have to be pedantic to choose betwixt the two)!

1) "The best reason to study a maitrise is the immersion you get in French culture, the linguistic benefits...studying abroard when young is an opportunity to be seized!"

Not REALLY an advantage over the one year out!

2) "It will improve job prospects, and help you stand out of the crowd."

If the choice of degree is an advantage, then it will only be so when looking for that first training contract. Then other factors such as how well you've done at your first job, and indeed the mark you get (1st, 2:1, 2:2) will be more crucial. It is easier, I believe, to get a better degree mark with one year out, than with the maitrise!

3) "UCL is traditionally the liberal college, whereas we at Kings are traditionally philosophical and religious!"

Ok so "traditionally" is the key word...but according to the UCL law prspectus (the smallgreen one), one of their primary aims is "to promote the values of our founders (justice, liberty and equal rights for all) through critical analysis and an active interest in law reforms". This is appealing. The fact that UCL was the first non Oxbridge uni, the first uni to teach law systematically and the first to admit students regardless of sex, race or background helps to support the "prestige" claim, whilst remaining brilliantly lefty.

4) "Here at Kings the lawyers do mix, and you dont spend all your time with lawyers...which is good!"
"The lawyers here at UCL are thought of by others to be a bit 'clicky'...but we don't mind".

whatever floats your boat, I s'pose...but I like the fact that there is a strong bond between the lawyers at UCL (including all those extra-curricular evnts organised by the lawyers for the lawyers...yes King's lawyers have them toio, but they were presented with much more enthusiasm by those at UCL!).

I'm well aware of the advantages of Kings, and it an amazing place to study, where I believe I would be very happy...but the above reasons are surely more desirable than a flick of the coin...
Onearmedbandit
The fact that Radiohead went there? :p:

Oh no, that was Coldplay...

:biggrin:
Random fact 1: Coldplay released 'parachutes' three years after meeting at UCL i.e. straight after completing their degree. snapped up straight away...perhaps even whilst still at UCL.

Random fact 2: Radiohead did not go to Oxford, as is popularly believed. They went to secondary school before dispersing for uni (Thom Yorke went to Exeter, others went to unis from cambridge to Oxford polytechnic (now Oxford Brookes).

Random fact 3: Radiohead are the best British band ever.
Reply 82
Why isn't LSE in this poll?
See Mach 2!

Andf with ABB, you arent doing law anyways! :p: :redface:
shouldn't there be an option of OTHER!
Again...see the other poll!
If I could close this thread/poll I would.
Reply 87
Phonicsdude
See Mach 2!

Andf with ABB, you arent doing law anyways! :p: :redface:

Was this directed at me? Who's/What's Mach 2? :confused:
It was! there is another poll now up and running, with far more options! :smile:
Reply 89
Onearmedbandit
LSE totally copied UCL with that 'when I grow up' T-shirt :rolleyes:

What you mean all the students at UCL wearing T-shirts which say 'When I grow up I'm going to LSE'...? :p:

(If I don't make the grades for LSE, I'm so gonna regret having said that...) :redface:
It's official - LSE sucks!
Pegasus
What you mean all the students at UCL wearing T-shirts which say 'When I grow up I'm going to LSE'...? :p:

(If I don't make the grades for LSE, I'm so gonna regret having said that...) :redface:

Er, no :smile:
Reply 92
where the hell is LSE

ok the winner of this poll gets to fight the HEAVYWEIGHT (LSE) in other poll and thats the way its going now lol. :biggrin: i.e KCL and LSE head to head.

btw i am voting for UCL here, and one more thing Arsenal is gonna screww United hahaha.
Musafir_85
where the hell is LSE

ok the winner of this poll gets to fight the HEAVYWEIGHT (LSE) in other poll and thats the way its going now lol. :biggrin: i.e KCL and LSE head to head.

btw i am voting for UCL here, and one more thing Arsenal is gonna screww United hahaha.

Gah!! I must get a mod to close this thread. See 'Mach 2'!!
Reply 94
You still haven't explained what Mach 2 is.

Phonicsdude- LSE DOES NOT SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D.
It is the other university poll thread, which I believe says "mach 2" in its title.

LSE sucks:
a) Because its run like a business
b) It's not UCL or Kings
c) They rejected me

(in that order...honest! :p: :p: )
Reply 96
Oi! Leave LSE alone... (is liking them atm..)
Dreama
Oi! Leave LSE alone... (is liking them atm..)

But they are mean ... even if they do sell (overpriced) novelty clothes! :biggrin:
Lottelo
But they are mean ... even if they do sell (overpriced) novelty clothes! :biggrin:

UCL sell overpriced novelty clothes too. I'd know. I bought some :smile:
Reply 99
I want an overpriced KCL hoodie :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending