The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ifstatement
Ok to sum it down really:
Hello, I really need your help.I have passes 7 subjects in my olevels that a're Physics chemistry bio pak studies Islamat eng lang and eng lit,and I have completed 2.5 subjects in alevels,so can I get into a community college in the Usa,and if you could plz reply on my email [email protected]. Hb
Does anyone know of an ap test centre in the UK?
Ok so I realise this is a very old topic now but after seeing this being debated i can't help but say what my A level chemistry teacher told us. This is a man who was at one point on of the head researchers in protecting the uk from nuclear attacks. "What you are learning here in AS and A2 chemistry is roughly equivalent to the first year of university in America"

now i know that this doesnt answer it completely as every subject is different but that is a quote from a Dr in chemistry and extremely experienced person who's opinions and knowledge are extremely reliable
Reply 63
Original post by rubberduckofwar
Ok so I realise this is a very old topic now but after seeing this being debated i can't help but say what my A level chemistry teacher told us. This is a man who was at one point on of the head researchers in protecting the uk from nuclear attacks. "What you are learning here in AS and A2 chemistry is roughly equivalent to the first year of university in America"

now i know that this doesnt answer it completely as every subject is different but that is a quote from a Dr in chemistry and extremely experienced person who's opinions and knowledge are extremely reliable

What your chemistry teacher has said is absolutely correct. A level/IB/AP classes are the equivalent of general ed classes that are taken in your freshman year in the US. So if you get an A/B grade your likely to get credit so you can skip the class and take more advanced classes. This isn't necessary thought it's only merely an option.
Reply 64
I know this thread is very old, but as a student who has done AP classes in america and is currently taking A levels in the UK now I feel that I can give some pretty good insight to both school systems. As a sophomore in the US, I took two AP classes: AP Human Biology, and AP World History. Up until the end of sophomore yaer, I achieved mainly straight A's in my other CP or honours classes. After sophomore year i had to move to England and joined year 11 ( the year you complete your GCSEs) it was quite stressful as I had to do all the work the students at that point have been working towards for two years yet I only had one year to do it. I ended up getting 4A*S, 6As and one C with majority of the subjects being ones i've never taken before ( like the C i got in product design.) That being said, I would argue that GCSEs and usual High school classes are about the same as each other, i would've said English was harder to do well in here in England because of the way the exam was set, but subjects like Theology - at least for me- were much harder compared to the Religious Studies exam I sat for my GCSE. So I would say that a set of GCSE qualifications would be about the same as a high school diploma as someone in the states who only did honours classes or CP classes.

Now that being said, A levels are much harder than AP classes. ( at least in my case). Despite doing well in AP biology at the end of sophomore year, and getting an A* at GCSE I found I only got a B as my grade at the end of AS. I would say that A levels cover a much grander scale of topics throughout the course which explains why it takes two years to complete an A level, whereas in the states you can complete an AP class in just one year. That being said -despite AP classes being much, MUCH easier- taking into consideration the amount of other subjects and extracurricular activites you take along with them I can understand how it would be stressful for american students to do well in them.

To conclude: GCSES = Highschool diploma, (yet, some american classes are harder than GCSEs, yet some GCSEs are harder than the same subject in america). AP classes are exponentially easier than A levels, but A level students have time to focus on 3,4,or 5 subjects that they do well in, whereas americans have to juggle much more.

A level system is 4 inches thick and 20 feet long, AP classes are 4 feet thick but one foot long ( does that make sense? :tongue:)
Original post by Alex816

To conclude: GCSES = Highschool diploma, (yet, some american classes are harder than GCSEs, yet some GCSEs are harder than the same subject in america). AP classes are exponentially easier than A levels, but A level students have time to focus on 3,4,or 5 subjects that they do well in, whereas americans have to juggle much more.

A level system is 4 inches thick and 20 feet long, AP classes are 4 feet thick but one foot long ( does that make sense? :tongue:)

This is a really good answer! Haha thank you for the detail :smile:

So would you say you prefer the education system in America or here?
I think in America you're taught things more generally, but you can take up a lot more subjects and extracurricular, whereas here, at the beginning of A-levels you pretty much Need to decide what you want to do with your life, or at least have some kind of idea.

Taking up only 4 subjects restricts you a lot in my opinion, but then the workload is SO much for one subject that if you took more than 4, it would be way too demanding. (But ofc some people do) haha wish I was that smart!

But I mean I can see benefits of both systems, but I just feel like there's more choice in the States than here. Plus a levels are just so ridiculously hard and the papers are so hard when you sit the exam 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually I did apply here and I got 5 offers from really good uni's 😃 so I am still trying to figure out if I want to go to my first choice in the uk(conditional) or spain(unconditional)

So I didn't really think about a gap year because I already have uni offers here and abroad

It's so hard making decisions tho!!!! Aghhhhhg

U did great at as tho 😃
Wish u could apply too x

Soz it wouldn't let me send u a private message !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone no when the application deadline is for US unis? Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by ahcambridge97
Does anyone no when the application deadline is for US unis? Thanx

Depends on the uni. Check on their respective websites.
There isn't any equivalent. You are comparing apples to oranges. The US system is way more general, andmuch less oriented towards standard exams. In general, in the British system students study more advanced topics, but the British system isn't as superior as it seems, because it is more specialized.

In reality, you have much less choice in the US in high school, although university programs are generally less structured in the US. In the US, everyone takes 5 basic subjects, math, science, English, foreign language, and history/government. For example, my schedule for the last 3 years was algebra II / trig, precalculus, calculus, biology, chemistry,physics, American literature, British literature, world literature,Latin II, Latin III, Latin IV, world history, US history, government. People usually play sports or do drama or musical instruments.

Naturally, a British A-level would be more advanced than a AP exam. You are spending like 2/3 of a year studying for the A-level versus 1/6 of a year for the AP course.

US students get grades from their teachers in specific classes, not based on national examinations.Generally, there is a weighted grade average, with more points if youtook honors or AP classes. US colleges adjust for what they perceive as the difficulty level of the school.

To apply to British universities from the US, you need to submit at least 3 AP exams or SAT II's tosimulate A-levels. These exams are not as important in applying to US schools. There are about 30 US citizens living in the US admitted to Oxbridge from high school each year, compared to about 5000 freshmen a year at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton combined. It is very hard fora US student to show the equivalent of A*s on A-levels. Generally,from the US you need like 7+ 5s on AP exams, as each AP exam covers less material than an A-level.
(edited 8 years ago)
The US system is very different as I explained, but US high school education probably is not at the level of British or most European education. The biggest problem is with the primary grades.

I would assume that all this business of studying 3 subjects at the end of high school and one subject at University happened after the US split off so to speak. The US system is probably closer to the 18th century system than the British system.

The US approach is more oriented towards general education rather than career. On the negative side, it may be more oriented towards memorization. You have tests every 2 weeks or so graded by the instructor, so you may not really need to learn much long term.

The difference between the best and worst schools at every level is huge in the US, as is the difference between if you take all AP classes and AP exams or a minimum college preparatory program.
Reply 71
"Another thing that really lends me to the US system is that you can (by choice) enjoy a really good education (high academic standards, ECs, more freedom in choice)"

As opposed to the UK where the education standard is STILL slightly better? With higher academic standards as well as freedom of choice...
At the high school level, you really have much less choice in the US. Everyone basically studies the same thing. In the US you get a more general education, and music and athletics are often included.

Not sure that public, or do you call it state, education is better in the US. It is good in fancy areas and AP classes. Think it is somewhat similar to the UK in that regard.

As to the original topic, most students applying to college take no AP exams. Obviously, students applying to good colleges usually have AP exams and SAT IIs. The AP exams are on smaller areas. Some students take 20 or more AP exams. Colleges are more interested in grades in AP classes given by the teacher than in AP exam scores. SATs and SAT IIs are more important in admissions than AP exams. AP exams are the closest equivalent to A-levels, but are completely different.
The AP exams have become a way bigger thing in the last few years and colleges haven't really adjusted. However, before that schools still had honors classes and other stronger classes. Colleges look at grades adjusted for difficulty level of classes and the school. Then they tack on standardized test results.

There are also many high schools with like 1000 students where no one got a 1 or better on any AP exam. Don't know if it is that extreme in Britain. Rural and blue collar schools are much weaker, but the ones like that are probably mostly poor black. There were inferior segregated black schools in the past, and before that it was illegal to teach a slave to read or write.
I would disagree that A-levels are equivalent to AP exams from my research.

I think A-levels are more like actual college-level coursework here in the US, helping to explain why an undergraduate degree often takes 4 or 5 years here rather than just 3. I've heard of UK students being given college credit for their A-levels here. The structure of A-levels and sixth form in general reminds me a lot of a community college.

I mean, I notice that A-levels are split into two parts usually, and one part is covered per year. At a community college, I would take English 1301 and English 1302 in order to meet state requirements in language. This is covered in one year over two semesters, but I suspect that A-levels take longer because it's material presented to younger students. Several classes are split into two levels, and I notice that several AP courses only count for the first level. In other words, AP English might get you out of 1301, but not 1302. Which is a lot like saying that AP English is an AS level qualification.

The main difference is you're required to take everything. You have to take English, History, Speech, Government, Art Appreciation, etc. You have a lot of general education requirements that have to be met at both the high school and college level, no matter what you want to study. So students probably take so many AP classes in order to shorten the amount of time they spend on general education requirements, rather than to prepare for a particular field of study. But it only covers the first half, and you still spend your first year of university finishing up general education requirements rather than studying the subject you want to go into.

Now, having studied both systems, there does seem to be one way in which the British system is better. It's much more focused. You're encouraged to discover your talents/strengths and develop them, rather than meet a minimum standard in everything in order to be allowed to get anywhere. For instance, I wasn't allowed to take advanced classes until my senior year because I was behind in Maths, and they keep the gifted students separate from the normal students. They didn't keep me in remedial classes because I made progress quickly, but I could only take normal classes because I wasn't as gifted in Maths as I was in everything else. The PSAT really discouraged me, because while I made great scores in Reading and Writing, the Maths section brought my composite score down so low that I knew I wouldn't be going to a good university. The pattern here is that you're expected to be good at everything.

Now, it seems like by the time British people start on A-levels, they're allowed to choose what they want to study. Correct me if I'm wrong here. So, under your system... people are allowed to focus on subjects they find interesting and in which they have talent. So someone could take A-levels in humanities subjects like English and History, and not worry about universities looking at their Maths and Science skills, even if they're applying to a prestigious university like Cambridge. There's also no need to focus on composite SAT scores in Reading, Writing, or Maths... so if you're terrible at Maths, you just don't take it.

Both systems have their positives and negatives. American schools are easier in terms of difficulty, but harder because you're forced to be well-rounded and have some talent in everything before you're considered university material. British schools are harder in terms of difficulty, but easier because you're allowed to focus on subjects that interest you enough to handle that level of difficulty.

If an American changes their mind about what they want to major in, chances are they'll already have some foundation in any new subject and won't be starting over entirely. But if a British person does the same, they have to start all over again.

Another major downside to the US system is GPA. Every class you've ever taken, no matter what it's in, counts against this GPA equally. They look at your weighted average of all grades in all classes, and one or two subjects can bring it down even if you've done well in everything else. But it seems that with A-levels, if you make one bad grade in a subject, the other two grades are looked at independently, and that can potentially help you if the course you're interested in doesn't have much to do with the subject you did poorly in.

So, it really depends on what kind of person you are, as to whether the American or British system is better. The American system is better if you're a jack of all trades and make similar grades in all subjects, but punishes you if you're bad at anything in particular. The British system is better if you're very good at the subject you're pursuing, but punishes you if you try to do something you're not interested in and end up failing at it. There's not as much of a safety net of general education to help you with a Plan B if you end up changing your mind or doing really badly in the subjects you're interested in.

I will say that for me, the American system gave me an inferiority complex around Maths. I've spent years of my life feeling like I was a stupid person regardless of my skill in other subjects. I ended up forcing myself to learn Calculus later in life simply so that I wouldn't feel stupid, rather than because I wanted to study it. I feel like the emphasis has always been on what I can't do rather than what I can do.
you guys are comparing GCSEs and UK A-levels to the american system......
Well Im doing Cambridge IGCSEs and Cambridge A-levels which IS MUCH HARDER than any Uk A-level or american AP
the International Cambridge system rocks
Original post by shakeebshams
Well Im doing Cambridge IGCSEs and Cambridge A-levels which IS MUCH HARDER than any Uk A-level or american AP

Are Cambridge A-levels the international version of UK A-levels? Where can you sit for them? My understanding was that you could not sit for A-levels in the US and some other countries.
dude, You can take The International Cambridge almost anywhere. Even in the US!! But there are very few test centers there anyway.
My understanding is that an AS in Cambridge International Exams is equivalent to a Full UK A-levels. You might think i'm BSing, But seriously check out the syllabi and the papers!!
And yes, universities give Much More value to a Cambridge A-levels than any other A-level system
(edited 8 years ago)

I can't tell if you are joking or not, but IGCSE really isn't challenging, but I have no idea about Cambridge A Levels since I am taking a different board for my International A Levels. My point is that taking IGCSEs shouldn't provide you with any feeling of superiority - they are marginally harder than GCSEs; however, neither are particularly challenging.

Edit: I took both GCSE and IGCSE exams
(edited 8 years ago)
dude, You can take The International Cambridge almost anywhere. Even in the US!! But there are very few test centers there anyway.
My understanding is that an AS in Cambridge International Exams is equivalent to a Full UK A-levels. You might think i'm BSing, But seriously check out the syllabi and the papers!!
And yes, universities give Much More value to a Cambridge A-levels than any other A-level system

Dude, you're bsing CIE A-levels are equivalent to UK A-levels i.e. CIE AS = UK AS.

Latest

Trending

Trending